• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ECU 62 error

GT-Rx said:
RJVB said:
Yep. That's something that is supposed to equip vehicles only in California.
Not just for California any more... :pinch: - this evap emissions system comes on every bike in the States (and likely Canada). I'd be curious to hear if there are any if Europe (or elsewhere) without it. The cannister shown above on the ground, resides under the speedo assembly and behind the headlights on the Stelvio.

No trace of anything like that on my bike. How on earth can a motor be expected to breathe and run efficiently with all this carp on? :S

So DanPez came to Ottawa where we sucked back some microbrews and chowed down on some Elk burgers. He brought his VDST so we hooked it up to my Stelvio to check out the error code on my dash (my Stelvio is spitting out an ECU 62 error [Error stepper C.C. Ground], and now an EC #00 [Other]).

We discovered that my stepper motor is pinned open at 200 regardless of the engine RPM, so it seems like the stepper motor isn't getting the signal from the ECU to shut down or reduce frequency. So I'm now left wondering what is FUBAR'd:
a) the bike's wiring?
b) the stepper?
c) the ECU?

I should be getting the GT-Rx ECU within a week or so, so I should be able to identify or eliminate that component as the source of the problem. The next step after that would be to rip the bike apart to get at the stepper motor connections to confirm there's good connection there.

Cory

One of the most annoying things with the new machines is that the manuals are so bloody unhelpfull in terms of offering diagnostic help. The instruction is always 'If you get this error? Replace this component. If problem persists? replace this component.' This of course is stpidly unhelpful and ridiculously expensive, but what can ya do?

Does the VDSTS have the option on an 'Activations' page to cycle the stepper? If so you can see at least if its actually working. If it is then it would appear to be a fault 'Upstream of the motor so presumably something *internal* to the ECU. Unless the stepper runs off a different circuit altogether???

Pete

pete roper said:
Does the VDSTS have the option on an 'Activations' page to cycle the stepper? If so you can see at least if its actually working.
Pete
We tested the motor and it seemed to PASS its diagnostic .....but we couldn't actually see the motor moving ..virtually impossible!

I was looking at the error that we saw on the VDST …
- Heating Lambda invalid signal:
- Active test open circuit:
Just a thought ....
If the lambda sensor is not giving the right signal or disconnected this may be the reason why I smell the bike as if it were running rich. (Compared to mine anyway)
If the O2 sensor is giving a wrong signal .... this can cause the AFR to be way out of wack and the stepper motor signal at 200 asking to open air at max because its way too rich.(at idle anyway, closed loop)

Wayne Orwig said:
When you turn the ignition on and back off, can you hear the stepper motor running up and down?
Cory would be the better one to answer this.....

When I was in Ottawa I can confirm that the bike, with ignition on not running, the stepper motor value was 160 which is normal!
Another issue that Pete and Cory had mentioned was that the scare screw "TPS screw" must have been tampered with!!
When I hooked up the VDST the TPS was at 5.8 .....instead of 4.7 .....this maybe also a reason why it seemed to be running little rich. (The ECU sees throttle open ... gives more fuel at idle)
I didn't want to reset or experiment too much....I wasn't properly setup to be a "Traveling Guzzi Repairman" :lol:

Question:
If TPS indicated 5.8 or 6 or even 7 .... and you reset the TPS, with the VDST, will it bring the value back to 4.7?

What I getting at is using the VDST if the stepper motor is working, and O2 responding OK
.....and the TPS can be reseted to a 4.7 value (for the ECU to control)
.... and we know that the scare screw was tampered with
.....and we know that its running rich because of the smell and stepper value at 200 needing more air
Then the scare screw can be turned to increase (giving more air) in steps of say 1 deg (always keeping track of the offset) and once the TPS is reseted again ......check the stepper motor valve till it drops to +/- 100 value.

DanPez said:
Another issue that Pete and Cory had mentioned was that the scare screw "TPS screw" must have been tampered with!!
When I hooked up the VDST the TPS was at 5.8 .....instead of 4.7 .....this maybe also a reason why it seemed to be running little rich. (The ECU sees throttle open ... gives more fuel at idle)
I didn't want to reset or experiment too much....I wasn't properly setup to be a "Traveling Guzzi Repairman" :lol:

So just a point of clarification - the throttle position was set to 5.3 degrees, not 5.8. Pete had set it to 4.7 when he was in town, but the day after the bike idled at 800-900 RPMs, so I blindly (without a diagnostic tool) "tweaked" the screw :whistle: to get the idle in the right range, thinking the small adjustment put it to 4.9 degrees. I wasn't aware I overshot it by so much :oops: . Dan and I were unable reset it to its allowable range because we were do this in the parking lot of a beer store with no tools.

When I get my VDST in a week or so I'll return the throttle position to within its allowable range and adjust the idle another way. It's tough to fine tune these bikes without the proper diagnostic tools.

DanPez said:
Question:
If TPS indicated 5.8 or 6 or even 7 .... and you reset the TPS, with the VDST, will it bring the value back to 4.7?

I doubt it. I think the 4.7 degrees is an absolute value and zeroing the TPS is a relative value based on the absolute value.

Cory

coldcanuck said:
Dan and I were unable reset it to its allowable range because we were do this in the parking lot of a beer store with no tools.
Cory
You had to spill the beans .......now they'll definitily think we are a bunch of hosers up here in Canada!! :lol: :lol:

How else is one supposed to try and un-fuck stuff that has been fucked? Epecially in a car park, (Where Cory and I were buggerizing with his Stelvio.) or where you were!

Interesting that the idle had dropped to 8-900RPM. That would have to be a sure-fire sign that something ain't right with the stepper motor. When we did the 'Suck-it-and-see' setup the bike was hottish and I tweaked the idle to about 1100, (From memory.) the fact it then dropped again would indicate that the stepper isn't doing its job correctly, if at all.

Pete

I hooked up my VDST to my Stelvio and did the stepper motor test and you can hear the little devil making noise, then I got the "passed" signal. I'm with Pete, sounds like somethings is a miss up stream of the stepper motor, but remember I'm just a dumb idiot from VA with a lap top, VDST rpogram, a Stelvio and I act like I think I know what I'm doing :shock: :shock:

kwn306 said:
I hooked up my VDST to my Stelvio and did the stepper motor test and you can hear the little devil making noise, then I got the "passed" signal. I'm with Pete, sounds like somethings is a miss up stream of the stepper motor,
We did the test also with the VDST and it passed......too much surrounding noise to hear if it actually works.

kwn306 said:
but remember I'm just a dumb idiot from VA with a lap top, VDST rpogram, a Stelvio and I act like I think I know what I'm doing :shock: :shock:
Aren't we all? :eek:hmy:
Well ......there's a slight difference ......I'm just a dumb idiot from CAN. (Hoser country eh!) :woohoo:

Wayne Orwig said:
When you turn the ignition on and back off, can you hear the stepper motor running up and down?

I think the answer to this question is "Yes". When I turn the key something in the vicinity of the stepper motor sounds like it is doing a power-on self test (POST for you computer geeks). However, now that I think of what else it could be, I realize the sound may also be the fuel pump priming itself, if in fact the fuel pump actually primes itself. I didn't think of this when I did a quick test late last night so I'll recheck this evening.

The stepper motor is doing something, though. I installed a manual petcock valve (a petrol tap to you limey's) upstream of the stepper motor and the motor shows a noticeable change at idle when I shut the valve. Given the relative simplicity of stepper motors and the appearance of the stepper motor functioning, I suspect the problem either resides in the ECU or the connection between the ECU and the stepper motor (or maybe my tire pressures are set wrong).

Cory

DanPez said:
You had to spill the beans .......now they'll definitily think we are a bunch of hosers up here in Canada!! :lol: :lol:

Hosers? Canada? Why would anyone ever think that? ;)

For all those that like to speculate on stepper motors, electronics and diagnstics, please remember to consult me first at least! I work on vehicles for a living, more the diagnostic side and I have worked on everything (cars, bikes and trucks). I use things like multimeters and oscilloscopes to help me solve problems and have alot of experience and understand how engine management and other control units works. I am sorry to tell you all that the engine ecu on this bike is a magnetti marelli one and is exactly the same model (IAW5) as what you will find on a Fiat Punto/Seicento 1200 cc (I have changed plenty, they are horrible things). For all you Americanos and Canadians just google the cars names.
Finaly, the main difference with Euro 4 will be the addition of another O2 sensor fitted just after the catalytic converter to monitor it (all modern cars have these now) so you will have to trick the ecu in future if you wana get rid off your CAT.
Any questions you have guys give me a shout, I dont have all the answers but I am very helpful :p :silly:

Back