• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Electrical Issues with 2006 Breva 1100

ClickityClack

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
I've been fighting some electrical gremlins with my 5k mile 2006 Breva 1100. When I bought the bike (used), I was able to get it running, took it around the neighborhood a few times and all was well. One thing that always bothered me is the square LCD panel at the bottom-right of the cluster was functional, but partially melted, not sure how that happened.

Fast forward a few weeks ago, since Carmo didn't want to return more than one email to me, I took it upon myself to try to fix the LCD issue by purchasing a good, used cluster from an eBay dismantler. I took both clusters apart to do the LCD swap and that's when things went strange.

Upon originally powering up my "frankenstein cluster", the bike was running fine and I thought all was well. About 3 minutes later, SERVICE appears at the bottom of the LCD and the engine dies. The ECU is reporting code P0351 - coil left, too high / P0352 - coil right, too high. I hooked up an inline spark tester and I am getting spark when the engine is turning over. The fuel injectors are firing, but the bike simply won't run. Both coils are connected and clearly work fine so I don't think they're actually bad.

I purchased a brand new, never installed Breva cluster which arrived today. Plugged it into the bike, get a prompt in Italian to "remember to enter your code", but then it goes away. If I change the position of the Trip 1/Trip 2/Mode selector switch, changes happen very slowly or not at all. If I leave the switch in MODE, I'm not able to access anything other than Chrono, I can't access the menu options.

I have both the customer code if needed. I also have 2 original Guzzi keys which previously worked fine with the original cluster. I have a brand new battery installed, verified the main ground by the starter motor is clean and tight. Battery connections are 100% clean and tight as well.

I'm at an absolute loss here and really could use some help. If I can't get this bike running again, I'm going to have to part it out.

Last edited:
Hello,

Take a breath and let go all of your ego because you are going to get an earful because there is no easy way to do this.

Ok...you are literally all over the place in this post and it's a mess. Your issues are 98% Operator Error and we are going to get you squared away here.

Firstoff, GuzziDiag is a forbidden topic here. You cannot post about it or ask questions about it, or even discuss it. This is covered in the top 3 rotating messages at the top of the forum pages just inches up from this post. If you haven't red them, do so please.

Word of advice as you are new to Moto Guzzi. Do not ever connect that to your ECU again. I have personally seen several ECU's that were bricked by that program and the site owner, Todd (GTM) has seen so many like that that he cannot even count them.

It is a terrible program, unstable, unreliable, and has all the power to destroy your ECU and no facility to repair the damage it causes whatsoever.

----------------------

Next, badmouthing Carmo will get you no sympathy.

Many of us, including myself, have used Carmo in Holland, and they have done excellent work; nothing short of miracles for me.

Unfortunately, most Americans have got to understand that Europeans do not take kindly to insistence or hostile emails. You will get nothing. If you were not rude or aggressive, then realize that sometimes it takes them a few days to respond. They may be shut down due to Covid, or there could be a host of other reasons.

You need to calm down, relax, and get a little humble and grateful. Those emotions will serve you well with Carmo and also here.

----------------------

Next, if you have a brand new cluster, then the reason it says "Remember to enter your code" is because currently the default user code is the factory one of 00000 and it will continue to remind you until you reset this code. I have written extensively on this topic. Did you do any SEARCHES? Virtually everything you want to know has already been covered and is well documented, however you must SEARCH and READ.

----------------------

Next, you need to reset the user code to something new (I recommend setting it to the same code as the Service Code for your motorcycle), which is also covered in detail.

----------------------

With regard to the menu interface. It is not a Windows or Apple computer! It's running the most basic program and it is slow. You cannot go fast on the inputs.

The procedure for operating the menus is covered in detail in the Owner's Manual which is available in the DOWNLOADS section. To get access to this section, you need to become a contributing member by using the DONATE button at the top of the page. There is not set amount as far as I know. It's just that you make some effort financially to help support the site. It is commercial and advertising free and we all like it that way.

I've made you a brief video to help you along. Please watch it.

----------------------

OK, so you have a lot to do to get where you want to go. Work your way through it slowly and read the posts I have given to you so you can get up to speed and fix your issues.

You can do this but you need to get the Owner's Manual and READ IT!

If you have more questions, come on back here and post them and I will do what I can to help you.

Last edited:
Scott,

Thank you for your detailed reply to my thread. I apologize if it came off with a tone that was not intended. As your signature also mentions, not trying to be mean or insulting, just trying to figure out this puzzle!

I'm going to break down my responses to each of your suggestions so we can work through that quickly and easily:

1: GuzziDiag: message received, won't use that any more. I turned to it because there are no dealers within a few hundred miles of Raleigh so I didn't know what else to try. I did use the on-board diag to check codes and weren't seeing any. I did read threads about how to properly use diag mode and how to read the code output as it can be a bit confusing.

2. Carmo: I completely understand they're not going to be quick to respond to emails, especially given the time difference between the US and the Netherlands. My last email to them was April 28th which was simply asking for details about how to send my clusters in for the data repair and still don't have a reply. Not bad-mouthing their service in any way as I know they've helped a number of people on these forums.

3. Customer/Diagnostic Code: I have read other threads about the customer code and have the one that works for my bike so I don't need to have it recovered. I was able to enter both the diagnostic and the customer code and have them accepted when I had my original cluster connected with the new screen so I know both of them are correct.

One thing I found interesting is with this new cluster, if I use one of the keys it asks me to "remember to enter the customer code", if I use another key it asks for the customer code and won't let me proceed without entering it. What also makes this interaction strange is when I use the scroll/select button (which you showed in your video and I was previously aware of because I have and have read the owner's manual), it won't let me change the numbers, I can only select the pre-existing zero and enter in all zeros. Once I do that, I enter the other cluster screens. I might make a video which will better explain what I'm running into, may help this make much more sense because the behavior I'm seeing isn't something anyone else has posted about.

At this point, I'm thinking the issue with with my ECU and not the cluster. That would explain why I'm getting the two codes for dead ignition coils and the bike won't start. I only used the "devil program" long after the bike stalled after the LCD screen replacement so I'm not sure if that killed it or if someone else damaged the ECU. If I buy a used ECU on eBay, is the gauge cluster and ECU married or are they interchangeable?

Whew... Ok.

You are welcome!

If you want to know everything about how to send stuff to Carmo, it's in the post I gave you the link for as well as a personal email to the technician that helkped me and said I could share his email with members of the GuzziTech.

Codes. Default User code is always 00000. I assume you have the service menu codes list which was in the link I provided you. They are different based upon model.

The reason your keys are behaving the way they are is also covered in my explination of how to recover the 5 digit code. Your key that starts the motorcycle WITHOUT having to enter the code, is registered to your dashboard.

The key that requires you to enter the code, is not registered to the dashboard and needs to be registered, which is also in the Owner's Manual.

It works this way for a reason which I discuss in my post I sent you the link to. You can have up to 4 different transponder coded keys, registered to your dashboard. Please read my post I linked to you and you will understand.

The control button works with 2 distinct inputs. One is a quick, single press, (think of it like the DOT in Morse Code .-..---. etc), the other input is the longer press and hold (think of it like the dash in Morse Code)

When you go to enter the numbers, press a quick entry (dot) and release, the number will increment. Repeat until the number you want is displayed. Now press and hold the button (dash), and it will move to the next column of the 5 digits.

Repeat the brief button pushes, waiting each time for the screen to update. It takes a second or so, so be patient. When you get the second digit input, then press and hold (dash) to move to the 3rd column number, etc, all the way to all 5 numbers. When at the 5th number, and you have it selected, then again, the long hold (dash) and it will take the input.

You need to register the other key you have, again in the Owner's Manual.

Now IF the button is not behaving like I describe, you may have a bad button, but it's not likely unless it has suffered damage or somebody squirted high pressure water right into the switch.

You need to go into the Service Menu, and clear the errors. Then try and start the motorcycle again.

I don't believe you have toasted your ECU. I think you need to get your dash under control, register your additional key, get into the service menu and clear the codes, and then try and start your bike again and let's see what happens.

Ok, Good Luck 007!

Scott,

Here's the update. I removed the LCD panel from the new cluster and installed it onto my original cluster. On a positive note, I'm getting pretty good at taking these clusters apart as I've done it 3 times now. Now that I can read the LCD on my original cluster, all the handlebar buttons are working as expected and I can get into all the menus. I'm still seeing the SERVICE text upon completing the boot-up sequence, but that's expected. I ran through the diagnostic section of the menus, cleared all codes and reset the service. I also programmed the second key which was accepted. After trying to start the bike unsuccessfully, I have the following errors:

ECU: 13 in the ACT column
Dashboard: 07 in the M (memory) column

Voltage while cranking with the jump pack connected is 11.5V so I don't think that's an issue.

Thanks to this post, I found that the ECU code 13 means "Temp Sensor disconnect" and Dashboard code 07 means "Oil sensor fault DSB". Other threads with DSB07 say that this code shouldn't keep the engine from starting, is that correct? How about the ECU code 13?

I saw others recommend disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, tried that for S&G's, no change.

Again, many thanks for the help. I'm making progress....slowly :)

Last edited:
Wow. I cannot understand after buying a brand new cluster, why would you create another Frankenstein one? That confuses me. Your new panel should have worked perfectly out of the box, after you registered the keys to it.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual? It's available in the DOWNLOADS section to Contributing Members. You have to use the DONATE button above and donate something to help offset the cost of this Ad Free forum. Chip in and become a real GT Guzzisti!

Get the manual. All of the codes are inside of it.

I'm pretty positive that a ECU 13 would not preclude starting if it is not receiving the temperature sensor input for the ECU. The system uses a default substitute. I confirmed this in the Service Manual. (GET THIS! :D )

Screen Shot 2022 05 19 at 30644 PM

Screen Shot 2022 05 19 at 31004 PM

Screen Shot 2022 05 19 at 31026 PM

You almost got the ECU ground state reset correct, except you were missing one critical component...disconnect both battery terminals, and then clip them together with a zip tie or clamp or something, just so long as they are in clean contact with one another.

Leave it like this for 1 hour. It will discharge all capacitors and reset everything to a ground state.

Reset to the ground state and try again and see what happens. Post your results here and we'll go to the next step. :)

ALSO: Take a look at this forum. Read. It relates to your issue.

Last edited:
Scott,

The reason for cannibalizing the LCD from the new cluster is to avoid the expense and risks associated with sending both clusters off to Carmo. The new cluster behaved pretty poorly with my bike, all the issues went away when I reinstalled my original cluster with the new LCD. Now the scroll/select works, toggling from Trip 1/2/Mode also works correctly again. I still have the pieces from it so we can revert back to it if needed. I haven't sealed the cluster face so it can be easily taken apart again if needed. Figured we'd keep this as Plan B, or Z, if it comes to that.

Thanks for the additional info. Appreciate you linking the thread regarding the oil pressure sensor, that's exactly what I read before doing the following:

I was able to clear the DSB07 code by replacing the oil pressure sensor so we're making progress there. Service warnings are still on and even after doing a code clear, I'm still getting the ECU code 13.

Tried the ECU ground state reset using the method you described, still won't start. Only code left is ECU code 13 which is active immediately after a code clear so the bike still thinks that temperature sensor is an issue. If the temp sensor won't keep the engine from starting, what's left?

Last edited:
Back