• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust predicament

Robert Gibson

High Miler
GT Contributor
Having just installed Todd's fuelling upgrade (see PC-V post) the way forward has to be the open air box mod and exhaust/muffler replacement. If I lived in the States or UK it would be a no brainier to fit Todd's complete stainless system, however living in Spain if you fit anything other than a homologated part it has to be removed prior to the annual DOT inspection also you run the risk of a fine if stopped by the traffic police. I have even fitted quick disconnects to my Shad brake light so it will inoperative for the inspection.
Fitting homologated mufflers (V Performance/Lafranconis?) or even a complete system is ok if the bike paperwork reflects this and it is signed off by a "approved" engineer, for a cost of course.
So there lies the predicament fit a "non-approved" unit, risk a fine and remove it prior to each inspection or fit and forget a homologated unit.
Will there be any noticible performance gain for the cost expenditure of mufflers? Or, do the air box mod and retain the original units. Step in please Todd.

If I were in your situation I would order a set of modified stock mufflers from Todd, and the open air box lid and filter. It's what I run and am very happy with them.

Will there be any noticible performance gain for the cost expenditure of mufflers? Or, do the air box mod and retain the original units. Step in please Todd.
Hey Robert, unfortunately to get any real gains in the power and lose heat, non-cat con mufflers are ideal. De-cat'ed mufflers sound just OK IMO. Best to plug in a good set of mufflers or my full system if you want good power... so ultimately up to you for the hassle I guess.

I have a friend in Spain who does exactly that. In preparation for inspection, he replaces his performance mufflers with quiet ones, refits his dual seat, takes off his 'fog' lights etc. And when he gets home, restores his bike to the way he likes it. The bike is a shadow of itself in 'bureaucratically correct' mode.

Stephen

For me, I don't think modifying the stock mufflers are an option. Todd, would you class the V-Performance units as a "good" set of mufflers. Your GT-Rx items would be my preferred choice, as the Agostini and Mistrals don't really do it for me, however living here in Spain I am looking at all possible options.
A friend recently purchased a set of mufflers for his Goldwing from the States and was hit for import duty which amounted to 1/3rd of the cost of the mufflers. Ouch !!! That on top of the shipping made them quite an expensive purchase.

Todd, would you class the V-Performance units as a "good" set of mufflers. Your GT-Rx items would be my preferred choice
Yes... I sell them, so GT endorsed.
I'm in the middle of a redesign on my GT-Rx 1400 offerings.

If I were in your situation I would order a set of modified stock mufflers from Todd, and the open air box lid and filter. It's what I run and am very happy with them.

Yeah, but you don't live in Spain. I think the issue is that in Spain there is very little latitude to make changes on a bike from the OEM design.

Clayton have you modified the stock mufflers yourself? If so any photos or "how to" tips. Im in Australia and will need to do it locally. Thanks John

Wonder if somebody could explain 'open air box lid and filter' concept.

I purchase air filter (SF Sprint) and Pair of short round silencers from Agostini and thinking about getting Todd's PC-V/AT300/GT-Rx 5AM/7SM ECU Flash Tool. I will appreciate any comments how the Todd's fuel management solution will work with the new parts I already purchased.

"I'm in the middle of a redesign on my GT-Rx 1400 offerings."

Is there any chance of making them a bit less loud? I really like the idea of your complete system, but from the YouTube videos the V-Performance mufflers seem a bit quieter and mellower sounding. Is that right or is it just crappy YouTube sound?

This is a muffler question thread. All of your questions are answered elsewhere. Do a search. I will reply below and move this post...

Wonder if somebody could explain 'open air box lid and filter.
Simply cut away completely the top of the lid above the filter, or drill as many big holes as possible.
...and thinking about getting Todd's PC-V/AT300/GT-Rx 5AM/7SM ECU Flash Tool. I will appreciate any comments how the Todd's fuel management solution will work with the new parts I already purchased.
As stated above, read from here down; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/pc-v-autotune-300-on-cal-14.12980/page-2#post-127584

Is there any chance of making them a bit less loud? I really like the idea of your complete system, but from the YouTube videos the V-Performance mufflers seem a bit quieter and mellower sounding. Is that right or is it just crappy YouTube sound?
Well, you either need large air volume like the stock mufflers, or you need flow (which means more sound) to increase power. Sound is personal (and limited to your speakers, which is why I hate videos for sound). Power is factual. Look ar the graphs I posted. There really isn't much of an option to quiet my offerings and still get power. To me they sound perfect, and unlock the hidden power.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way your pipes sound. I'm just not sure my neighbors will :shake:

What I'd like to do is get the reflash and the full system. Get rid of that problematic H pipe in the bargain. I just got the bike and even though used it's still under warranty, so I might have to wait a few months. Today was my first day on the bike, and my first run through Malibu canyon on a big cruiser. I definitely wanted more Guzzi sound.

The cylinders didn't seem to get to hot, but then it was a cool day. I worry about heat with these leaned out engines. Leaned out/air cooled, yikes.

What I'd like to do is get the reflash and the full system. Get rid of that problematic H pipe in the bargain. I just got the bike and even though used it's still under warranty, so I might have to wait a few months. Today was my first day on the bike, and my first run through Malibu canyon on a big cruiser. I definitely wanted more Guzzi sound.
I see you posted a nice ride review on the UK Forum (I lifted the pic below from there)... and you likely rode right past my house. I'm in Malibu. You should copy/paste your words to this Forum. Also please post your info on the Pic & Registry thread here.
PCH doesn't rent Guzzis as far as I'm aware. They are part supplier to the EagleRider network.
I rent Guzzis (banner link above), but for now I don't have any 1400s, as when I did, they rarely went out.
Fueling, etc: If you haven't yet caught this thread from here down; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/pc-v-autotune-300-on-cal-14.12980/page-2#post-127584
Happy to be of help/service.

IMG 0526

Wow, Robert's report is just what I'm looking for. I thought my throttle hand was getting numb because it was a bit cold out. It was strange. My left hand was fine but the right one got numb. Cool, there's a solution. I'll post that info.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way your pipes sound. I'm just not sure my neighbors will :shake:

Eldo1400
Having recently installed the GT-Rx https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-pc-v-at300-ecu-flash-tool/ and BMC filter offered by Todd I was impressed by the difference in how smooth the throttle response was and how much quicker my '14 California Custom wanted to go.

Serendipitously, about weeks after the Gt-Rx fuel mod system was installed Todd posted an offer, that was too good to refuse, on this forum about a pair of Stainless Steel Zard Shorty Slip on muffler he had available. Within 2 hours my order was placed and a shipping notice was in my email. See thread https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/zard-c14-shorty-mufflers.14086/ Todd also provided a PC-V map to leverage the improved gas flow through the Zards.

With the DB killers in place the Zards are a fair bit louder than the stock mufflers, the response and performance gains are mosre noticeable too.

So far none of our neighbours have complained about any of my bikes being noisy. Then again I live in the northern suburbs of Atlanta, several of my neighbours have big SUV's, Pick-up trucks or sports cars. :)

I am considerate of my neighbours and keep my speed down to 20 mph or less while riding into or out of the community.

In closing, to qoute Touringman

Blakbird...remember it is easier to get forgiveness than to get permission...

Have fun with your Eldo.

P.S> I purchased, but haven't installed, the GT-Rx H pipe yet. As the GT-Rx SS headers are next on my list of performance related improvements I'll install the improved H-Pipe at that time.

Back