Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

front wheel removal, 2013 V7 Stone

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by francod123, Sep 25, 2014.

1. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Hi,

Any tips on removing the front wheel? I have the bike lifted off the ground, the caliper unscrewed, and the pinch bolts loose. Trying to figure out what's next...special tools, etc? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. francod123

ahhh, I didn't realize there was a hex socket on the right side because it had a rubber plug in it. I was wondering what the hell was up. :)

3. Joerg Stoeckner

Joerg Stoeckner Tuned and Synch'ed

I figured that out myself today and, guess what, although I have tons of spanners I dont have one for a hex socket.
    never had a bike with hex sockets before :rolleyes:.
    need to go to shop first thing tomorrow before I can resume.

4. francod123

Most local shops won't have the 14mm hex bit for the front. Maybe a Napa store. I ordered off amazon.

Wait, you're in Munich so you can probably ignore what I just said about not getting it locally. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. makarushka

makarushka Cruisin' Guzzisti

In a pinch, a "tool" can be made for this from a 14mm head bolt, and a couple of nuts on it to use a socket on, or file the sides to use a wrench...

6. Joerg Stoeckner

Joerg Stoeckner Tuned and Synch'ed

fortunately my local DIY shop here in Germany had such 14 mm nut for hex socket a/v for 7 Euro :)

7. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Your took kit that came with the bike should have a 14 mm hex stub for this. Take a look.
    Also, I used some aluminum hex bar a while ago to make a lightweight tool for when I travel. Every ounce/grams counts!

8. francod123

Dude, my dealer must've shafted me because my tool kit was the saddest thing I've ever seen: few allen keys, shitty plastic screwdriver and and a preload wrench.

Maybe I should carry more tools with me when I ride. I always like to have zip ties and a tire plug kit for the tubeless though.

9. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

Ha! Minimalist tool kits seem to be all that MG supplies these days. Mine is like what you got.

10. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Cruisin' Guzzisti

While you are building up a tool kit, you need to add the hex key for the bolt that secures the gas tank. That key is another one that is missing but will be invaluable if you ever need to take the tank off to trouble shoot a problem.

11. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Speaking of tool kits, I ended up adding a soft bag and a small hard case to carry all my tools. I feel like if I have the right tool, then perhaps I'll never need to use.

I.e. you always seem to need the tool you don't have.

I'll post a picture of my tool box, later, this evening.

12. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Here's a photo of my tool box, mounted under the luggage rack.

[​IMG]

13. francod123

Any way you can post the pic better? Can't blow it up and that link isn't working.

14. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Tonight I'll post closer pictures, and more of them. Essentially I took an aluminum circuit board box, such as made by Hammond, and mounted it to the rack with rubber coated electrical clamps. The box end is opened with a Phillips screwdriver. The boxes come in many sizes, so I was able to get an exact fit.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1455.htm

15. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Just don't put the screwdriver in the box.:giggle:

16. sign216

sign216 High Miler

Brian, clever point. I have a small soft bag that I keep the Phillips screwdriver in.

Here's some more pictures. Let me know if you need details.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. francod123

Looks nice. Nice work. I was going to maybe use the space where the EVAP canister was to hold a small tool bag.

18. sign216

sign216 High Miler

I thought about that space , but it seemed too difficult to make work. i thought maybe a replacement canister to store stuff, but in the end it didn't seem easy.
    If you figure it out, let me know.