• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuse blows out repeatedly - Griso 8v

There are actually two problems.
One is the solenoid requiring lubrication, though why it should here and not on any other starter motor I have known I don't know.
The other is the low power to the solenoid, cured by the rewire of the start relay.
There are two windings in the solenoid, a high current one to pull it in, and a low current one to hold it there. the high current coil is shorted out when the contact in the solenoid is made.
If, for any reason it does not make contact, then that coil will pull well over 20 Amps, thus blowing the fuse. Low power to the solenoid will cause this, and as that power has to go through the ignition switch, it is quite possible that the switch contacts are not intended to take it, most switch manufactureres would assume that the start relay is fed from the battery, not through the switch. Guzzi have not yet accepted this.

Mark I've Just come in from rewiring mine and it is a bit fiddling !! but a good chance to get to know what screws do wot and which type of relays the bike uses (spare for the two types now stashed under the seat). B)
The start relay is the forward most one on the righthand side under the side panel. You will need something thin and flat (about 1mm thick by 3mm wide) to push the tab down on the yellow wired spade so you can pull it out....replace with a direct line from battery but dont connect up the batt end first :whistle: :whistle:

The fifth one blew 2 hours ago. It only last 300km/175miles/7 starts.

Last ride was 2 weeks ago.
Dash battery voltage display was 12.1V before I hit the start button.
I can hear the solenoid engaged with a faint thump and the click (release) of the relay 3~4 seconds after I hit the start button.
Bike started fine after fuse replacement, as usual.

First fuse blown in the fifth month at 5900km (~3700miles)
Second fuse blown in the sixth month at 6600km (~4100miles)
Third fuse blown in the eight month at 7500km (~4700miles)
Fourth fuse blown in the eleventh month at 11,500km (~7200miles)
Fifth fuse blown in the twelfth month at 11,800km (7375miles)

Phang

Phang said:
The fifth one blew 2 hours ago. It only last 300km/175miles/7 starts.

Last ride was 2 weeks ago.
Dash battery voltage display was 12.1V before I hit the start button.
I can hear the solenoid engaged with a faint thump and the click (release) of the relay 3~4 seconds after I hit the start button.
Bike started fine after fuse replacement, as usual.

First fuse blown in the fifth month at 5900km (~3700miles)
Second fuse blown in the sixth month at 6600km (~4100miles)
Third fuse blown in the eight month at 7500km (~4700miles)
Fourth fuse blown in the eleventh month at 11,500km (~7200miles)
Fifth fuse blown in the twelfth month at 11,800km (7375miles)

Phang
Well it's about time you modified the wiring for the start relay then, or fit a 20A fuse.

Hi Brian, I still have five spare 15A fuses with me. Judging from the recent trend, I think the 5 pieces of spare fuse will not last very long. You are right, it is about time to modify the wiring.

Phang

Hiya first post on here. Just brought a Griso 8v within 130 miles the fuse blew on starter. Brought from dealer but they seem uninterested in fixing as workshop said 'unlikely we can find a fault'. Thought maybe it was just something that won't re occur. 120 miles later pow gone again.
I'm in the south west uk and after reading this thread was wondering if anyone here could recommend a place for me to take it to remedy this issue?
I am not the best person with tools can change a fuse though...
The other option is I return the lovely Griso and cry as I try to get a refund...
Thanks,
Ian

Hi Hellanwell
2 years after i got my Breva 1100, after pressing the start button the starter relay would click but the engine wouldn't spin over and several times the fuse blew. I found if you press the kill button as soon as you know its not going to start the fuse will not blow as it causes the starter relay to drop out, you can then try again and with a bit of luck it will start. Brian is quite right about the two windings on the solenoid and the current it draws under a fault condition. I checked and cleaned the earths but the only thing that has fixed it is the Starter mod which is explained very well elsewhere in this forum and i have never had a problem since and thats at least 2 yrs now . I didnt cut the wire to my relay, I used a small flat blade and pulled the connector out of the relay holder, insulated it and ran a separate 15A fused wire directly from the battery +ve to pin 3 of the relay. its an easy job once you locate the correct relay and identify the correct wire.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Kevin, I like the kill button ideal. I think if you know what you are talking about re electrics you have the confidence. I don't have that confidence so prefer to find someone who does!
Thanks again,
Ian

Had the same issue with Bella, multiple fault codes relating to starter motor & relay, coil, injector relay & main earth .
Each individual fault was related to an earthing issue
Previous owner reported frequent fault of blown 15a starter fuse .
Moved battery earth lead from just above starter motor, held by 5mm bolt.
Relocated 50mm to engine / gearbox case stud, drilled terminal to 8mm.

All fault codes gone, no more starting / running issues. :D

Hi,
Well fuse went on Saturday and when I got home the fuel light came on so I thought ok get fuel tomorrow. Got to fuel station next day other side of town, fueled up went to start it and nothing. Three times in 250 miles.
Looks like it's going back.....
:(
Ian

Hi everyone,
the dealer had the bike for a few days, gave me a loan bike. I thought after I picked it up I would leave replying here until I put on at least 300 miles. The dealer said that the wiring behind the side panel had a really bad kink in it which was causing a short. I have not, touch wood, had a issue since. I expect now that I've said that something will happen.....
Ian

Back