Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

GMG 2021 - Piaggio Group Redevelopment of the Moto Guzzi Museum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GTM®, Nov 2, 2020.

1. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

News for the Guzzi Centennial being posted here. Dates are September 10-12th, 2021.

Story on the ground improvements HERE -- words below.

To note, Greg Lynn is a friend and customer of GuzziTech/GTM.

November 2, 2020 - The Piaggio Group Board of Directors approved the redevelopment project of the Moto Guzzi museum and the entire production area of Mandello. It will be a famous architect to take care of it. Even if there is no other news for now, fans rejoice.

Hello everyone! At the end of September, when I anticipated that Moto Guzzi's 100th birthday would be celebrated in 2021 (read the article), many of you raised the theme of the Mandello museum. It is too neglected, several comments criticized, "it's a shame!" some directly accused. Well, I want to give you some good news: even the president and top management of the Piaggio Group realize that the museum is not up to par. And now the board of directors has approved the redevelopment project.

There are no precise figures or times, but the resolution is a fact: it was decided that the works will begin next year and will cover the entire area of the Mandello Lario plant, from production to the offices and halls of the museum. It is also known that the project was entrusted to Greg Lynn, American architect and designer, member of the United States Artists, awarded the Golden Lion at the Venice Biennale in
    2008 and many other international awards; and who is also CEO of Piaggio Fast Forward, the team of innovators “which aims to build lightweight mobility platforms that offer innovative solutions for the movement of people and goods”. In short, a beautiful head already involved in the group.

What matters is that, although times are not exactly ideal, those who have the fate of Guzzi in their hands seem determined to invest millions of euros in the prestige of the brand. Even the mayor of Mandello Riccardo Fasoli, on the pages of Corriere della Sera, is delighted with the good news, rumors have been circulating for months and the ratification of the board of directors is the expected turning point. For Mandello it is a panacea, the museum has always attracted Italian and foreign enthusiasts, but above all we understand that such an investment means that the company will remain here, on the lake where it was born a century ago and where the history of motorcycles was made.

I believe, and I am certainly not the only one, that no museum in the world could come close to that of the Moto Guzzi, once it has been rethought and recreated. There are other even older houses - Gilera is from 1919, the first Harley is even from 1903 - but the eagle house has an absolutely unique history. It is enough to mention a symbol such as the famous wind tunnel: here in Mandello technical innovation and creativity have been breathed, the most extraordinary successes in international races have been built before world-wide. Men of enormous talent met on the shore of the Lario, names like Omobono Tenni, Bruno Ruffo or Giulio Cesare Carcano with his incredible Otto cylinders: no other brand has reached this high.

I don't know this Greg Lynn, one of the ten most influential architects in the world for Forbes magazine. But I already envy him. If he has a bit of passion for motorcycles, imagining and designing the Moto Guzzi museum will be a magnificent adventure for him.

2. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

Fabulous news! That's a good thing for the brand and it's home town.

basaltine likes this.
  3. GTM®

Greg told me last year initial planning was to renovate all of the grounds, by making it more community friendly to all of Mandello... Including using many of the unused storage buildings, for a cafe and the likes. I'm excited to talk to him again soon.
    I am planning on being at the GMG 2021... hopefully on a very special GTM build.

basaltine and David Bracey like this.
  4. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

That's great news and the new investment confirms that Moto Guzzi has an assured future in Mandello.

basaltine and john zibell like this.
  5. Vizir

Vizir Tuned and Synch'ed

Very good news, I'll be in Mandello in sept 2021.
    I'v already booked a bedroom close to Mandello
    Vizir

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    basaltine likes this.
  6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

This is wonderful news but fear not friends!

Corporations in Italy do not have freedom to do whatever they want. Under Italian law, Piaggio cannot simply move Moto Guzzi production out of Mandello del Lario.

They would have to seek approval and permission from the Italian government because the very foundation of the local economy in Mandello del Lario, is directly tied to the Moto Guzzi factory.

Every previous owner of Moto Guzzi including de Tomaso and Aprilia, tried to get permission and it was soundly denied.

basaltine and Adam Davis like this.
  7. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

My understanding is that they want to do a full renovation not move the factory elsewhere.

basaltine likes this.
  8. GTM®

Correct. More of a renovation of the grounds outside of the production facility, which was renovated when Piaggio took over.

basaltine likes this.
  9. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Yes. I understand. However, I suspect that Piaggio is going to do this not because they feel warm and fuzzy about Moto Guzzi so much as that they realize that they will never get permission to move the factory and so they had better spend some money to upgrade the facilities because they are really old and in disrepair.

When I was at the factory in 2017, it needed some serious attention to the buildings. Even in this photo, you can see the building crumbling above the gate. It was like that everywhere. Personally, I didn't mind, but it is time for some new construction at the factory,

I will say that what is inside of the museum is unbelievable stuff, but it was in the old part of the building, stairs only, no handicap access, and it was cold as there was little if any heating in that part of the building.

The wider view photo shows the building where the museum is housed (it's the wing with funky yellow with stains and peeling plaster all over it). You can really see the deterioration here, the very old windows, crumbling parts of the building and rotted flashing, etc. It will be exciting to see what they do.

Most people just don't realize how tightly locked in the factory is, space wise. There is no place to expand. In fact, for example, from where I stood and took this picture, the train station is immediately to my back on the opposite side of a small parking lot literally across the street from the factory.

IMG_2716.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2722.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    basaltine, subin and GTM® like this.
  10. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

Like yourself Todd, a lot of us have our eyes set on Mandello 21 health, wealth and Covid permitting. It would be great to catch up again and see your showcase GTM build.
    Any more thoughts on a commemorative GTM keepsake?

basaltine and Louisv97 like this.
  11. GTM®

Man, I don't even want to think about COVID in September of 2021. I haven't forgot about the commemorative keepsake... but post a reminder in say June of 2021 for me or send an email direct.

basaltine and Louisv97 like this.
  12. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

:clap:
    It’s in my calendar :clap:
    Will you be treating yourself to a new hat and flip flops:giggle:

basaltine, Mayakovski and GTM® like this.
  13. buzglyd

buzglyd Cruisin' Guzzisti

Would be nice if it coincided with a MotoGP race. Misano normally runs in September.

basaltine likes this.
  14. GTM®

Nice and just maybe. ;)

basaltine likes this.
  15. buzglyd

Have dates been released yet? MotoGP released the 2021 Calendar. Misano race is Sept 19.

basaltine likes this.
  16. Chris Jessop

Chris Jessop Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

17. buzglyd

basaltine and GTM® like this.
  18. David Bracey

David Bracey Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Really looking forward to this and hoping to catch up with a few fellow members of the forum. Can’t wait.

basaltine likes this.
  19. GTM®

20. David Bracey

David Bracey Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Yes please! Would love to hear that V8 fired up. I met Bill Lomas at the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch in about 1986(?) when he rode a parade lap on the Honda 125cc 6 cylinder bike. That screamed! He must be the only person to ride both of those bikes.

Edit. Might have been the Festival of 1000 bikes

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    basaltine likes this.