• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

griso 1100 wiring repair and mystery plug

Kludge

Just got it firing!
Mice chewed up the wiring in the rear end of my bike. Most of it is repaired, but we ended up with one connector that we can't figure out. It's a three wire connector with only two wires going into each end. One end has an orange wire and a blue/red wire. The other end had two wires that were completely chewed off. We can't figure out what they connect to. I found a diagram of the wiring harness and there is a connector labeled bridge. It looks like it's just a loop back. Can I just short the pins? Here's a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1evik5b04sqkwo/2014-05-18 21.41.21.png

Is everything working at the rear there? Orange and Blue/Red (or Blue/Black I think it might be) is for your right hand rear blinker (on a 1200 Sport but I suspect the Griso would be the same). However, these are connected by a two terminal connector.

Have you identified your diagnostics connector? It's the only one I can think of that is a three terminal connector but only uses two wires. I wouldn't short these two.

That isn't the diagnostic connector. There are some connectors that aren't used so just leave it disconnected. If it turns out something isn't working that should be, then it will require additional work.

I'm getting an ECU disconnected error. I know where the diagnostic plugs are. This one had wires attached, but they were chewed off. I can't tell what color they where or where they went. I have all the lights working, so it's not one of them.

If anyone with a griso could pop off their seat and take a picture of the wiring harness, it would be a huge help.

I popped my 1100's seat off, but don't see anything like your photo. Is it under something, like the airbox snorkel or the plastic leading back to the tail light?

I also have Carl Allison's colorized factory wiring diagram, and don't find anything labeled "bridge" on it. The connector for the "diode presetting" module -- number 2 on the diagram -- looks like it has two wires about the right color, in a three-connector housing. But Carl's colors are not always the same as the bike's. I never have located the diode presetting module (not that I ever looked for it). Though it looks a little like a loop of wiring in the diagram, I think that the black rectangular outline is of some device instead.

I agree that you should see if everything works, and if so, just ride it. Good luck.

Kludge said:
If I could start it I would ride, but I just get a ECU disconnected error. The wires are part of the bundle that go to the rear lights. They're under the seat release cover. This is the drawing of the harnesses I found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4df19k8906hh9l/2014-05-19 12.58.35.png

With the ECU disconnect it isn't going anywhere. Check the external ground wire and the connectors to the ECU. Unfortunately the position of the ECU makes it prone to water damage. The only time I have see that error, the ECU was fried. Hopefully that isn't your situation and it is some gremlin in the harness. Mice can do terrible things.

Kludge said:
If I could start it I would ride, but I just get a ECU disconnected error. The wires are part of the bundle that go to the rear lights. They're under the seat release cover. This is the drawing of the harnesses I found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4df19k8906hh9l/2014-05-19 12.58.35.png

Oops. I read the bit about the ECU disconnect but forgot it by the time I got back from the garage.

I tried looking again but still can't see anything. I have some extra cruise control circuitry and a Gorilla alarm installed in that area. Maybe another 1100 owner should take a look.

I wouldn't think mice could affect the ECU itself, so it seems like the wiring would be the issue, assuming it ran when parked.

I assume you have Allison's wiring diagram, available on this website. Where did you get the one you posted a piece from, if you don't mind saying?

You need to get to the ECU, disconnect it and inspect the pins and sockets for any damage. How long has the bike been parked? Plenty of time for corrosion to do some damage?

Since you're gonna be in this area, I would also temporarily disconnect your Gorilla alarm and cruise control to be sure these aren't influencing the problem especially the latter.

I just looked again, this time pulling the cover for the rear latch of the seat. The Gorilla alarm seems to be in the way. It would be a lot of trouble for me to take off the plastic fairing that covers the frame rails below the seat, which would be necessary to see behind the alarm. (I've done this before, so I know.)

(Kiwi Dave -- It is I, Moto, who has the Gorilla alarm and cruise control installed, not Kludge, who has the wiring problem.)

If anyone else who owns a Griso (1100) is reading this, the cover that needs to be removed to see the connector that Kludge is asking about is a plastic one just beneath the rear of the seat, over the latching mechanism. It comes off by removing two, special 11mm hex-headed screws that form a support for the seat. The cover comes off and goes back on in a jiffy, with no complications.

Moto

moto said:
(Kiwi Dave -- It is I, Moto, who has the Gorilla alarm and cruise control installed, not Kludge, who has the wiring problem.)

My bad, I'm easily confused! :whistle:

But it is Kludge that has the ECU disconnect problem, and so the connectors on the ECU need to be checked for corrosion. He wouldn't be the first with this problem.

I don't want to start messing with the ECU until I get all the wiring reconnected. I really need a picture of someone's rear wiring harness.

Just checked Carl's schematic for the 1100. The colors (orange/black and blue/red) on those wires aren't even listed in the legend. This will make things more difficult.

To me, first order of business is to sort out why you have the ECU disconnected symbol. If that isn't corrected first, nothing else will work. Kiwi Dave said that is where to start and that is correct.

Back