• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso 8V crashbar, anyone? The Stucchi one sucks!!!

gulveal said:
Or what about some sort of flexible bushes to mount them at the ends?

David

I say forget about them altogether. If you crash, just fix or replace the valve cover. Same or lower cost (especially if the crash bar takes out the valve cover anyway), and much simpler.

Ad B said:
Hi,
Jlyon99 said:
Sorry about the welding, but just a question: isn't a replacement head cover, if needed, less expensive than these bars?
Not in the Netherlands.
Pricelist from a very good Guzzi dealer:
Stucchi crash bar €133,64 ($ 184,50).
Valve head cover (alu) € 133,25 + plastic cover €8,- (total $ 195,-)
Don't cry if your cilinder head is getting damaged too...
or the parts in which the bold are from that head cover :(

I'll do the crash bar :mrgreen: .
Ad

And the crashbars protect both valve head covers for that price :)

David

UPDATE

Finally, Stucchi, to their credit, sent me a free replacement for the faulty crashbar; the new one is an "improved" version, here is a comparison:

Stucchi_comparison_2.jpg

as you can see, the only difference is that they put in a bushing and a couple of rubber washers, rather sloppily "glued" on both sides of the carshbar's back supports with what appears to be silicon sealant (one of the washers had already come off and was roaming freely inside the bubble-wrap packing). Oh, and there is also an Italian flag sticker on one of them, highlighting the supremacy of Italian design.

I'm not so sure this rather Luigiish-looking fix will take care of the problem, particularly considering that the quality of the welds on the front supports doesn't seem to be any better than those that failed on the old crashbar... we'll see.

Goddvibes and Ad B, do your crashbar's back supports look like this new one?

Greyo said:
considering that the quality of the welds on the front supports doesn't seem to be any better than those that failed on the old crashbar... we'll see.

I'm really disapponted for what happend to your 8V bar set, BUT...
I'm really happy that Stucchi reply to you with a new set
And, just a suggestion, DO NOT tighten the screws sooooo much!!! This is the cause of cracks in the pictures ;)

Hi,
Greyo said:
...and Ad B, do your crashbar's back supports look like this new one?
GriGio said:
...just a suggestion, DO NOT tighten the screws sooooo much!!! This is the cause of cracks in the pictures ;)

Greyo, I have the "old" type on my Grsio, but is still going okay.
How is your new type behaving?
GriGio, your suggestion not to tighten the bolts to much... These bolts are the engine bolts... :huh:
You don't want to loose your engine during an Alp trip... :mrgreen: (the walk home is far, very far... :blush: )

Ad B

Ad B said:
You don't want to loose your engine during an Alp trip...
Absolutely true :)
But not totally right ;)
You can loose your engine if you close too much the screws with consequence breaking... :cry:
For example 80Nm is not so much for the front engine screws...but this is the right torque.

Was it used a dynamometric torque wrench? All closure screw strenghts are reported into the shop manual.
If you don't have this wrench (that actually is not cheap), the best practice is NOT exagerate with the strength and sign the screw with a marker.
When re-installing the engine screws was it restored the (this is not easy describe :lol: ) the thread stopping paste? When removing these screws you can hear a "tik", it's the original paste that is breaking, and then you will see something white on the screw.

Just to clarify, my suggestion was not a blame and I'm not pointing fingers or defending Stucchi...is just a practice that I learned on my skin and looking at the picture I remember the same damages that I did in the past :)

Do you have the shop manuals? I've in italian...please let me know if you need them :)

GriGio said:
...And, just a suggestion, DO NOT tighten the screws sooooo much!!! This is the cause of cracks in the pictures ;)
Nope, that was not the cause; I did use a dynamometric wrench, and tightened all screws appropriately.

Besides, Stucchi itself admitted that there is a problem with that crashbar model - that's why they sent me an "improved" version of it...

Jlyon99 said:
Sorry about the welding, but just a question: isn't a replacement head cover, if needed, less expensive than these bars?
No, simply because of how the valve cover is bolted to the (fragile) rocker assembly; even a slight tip-over could result in catastrophic top end damage (much less trying to start/run one once it does, which a handful of people likely would do without thinking about it).

Greyo, *if* I can get my hands on a G8V locally, I'll give it a go. Takers?
I still plan on making a set for the Stelvio.

Ad B said:
Greyo, I have the "old" type on my Grsio, but is still going okay. How is your new type behaving?

Well, first off, the new type has been so well engineered that... it does not even fit! :shock:...:lol:

Stucchi_comparison_2.jpg

griso_stucchi.jpg

The problem is, where the back support on the right-side crashbar gets fastened to the frame, there is, to begin with, very little clearance between the frame bolt head and the rear-brake fluid reservoir. The metal bushing inserted into the back support (purportedly to fix the problem) takes up waaay too much space there, so the "improved" crashbar does not leave enough room for the brake fluid reservoir... another good reason why Stucchi s.r.l. should seriously consider banning all Chianti bottles from their R&D department... :roll:

The only alternative was to remove the metal bushing, rubber washers and all (i.e., turning the "evo" crashbar back to the "crap-o" old version) and reinstall it like that, hopin' n' prayin' that this time it'll last a little longer... I'll keep you guys posted.

Greyo said:
[Goddvibes and Ad B, do your crashbar's back supports look like this new one?
No. But I have the Italian flag sticker! I don't see how that bushing fix helps with the cracking you experienced. In fact the bushing flex would even further guarantee the bar would bend with enough force to dislodge your valve cover on impact. At this point I thinkg the best approach would be for you to take the bars to a competent welder and do a number on them . . . that would have to produce superior results over what Stucchi is handing you now.

Greyo said:
GriGio said:
...And, just a suggestion, DO NOT tighten the screws sooooo much!!! This is the cause of cracks in the pictures ;)
Nope, that was not the cause, because I did use a dynamometric wrench, and taught all screws appropriately.

Besides, Stucchi itself admitted that there is a problem with that crashbar model - that's why they sent me an "improved" version of it...
Ok, this is cool end. Hope this will be better :)

Goodvibes said:
...I don't see how that bushing fix helps with the cracking you experienced. In fact the bushing flex would even further guarantee the bar would bend with enough force to dislodge your valve cover on impact. At this point I thinkg the best approach would be for you to take the bars to a competent welder and do a number on them...
I agree the fix is practically a joke (and a pretty bad one at that, see my last post on it), but at this point I doubt that even what you suggest would fully solve the issues with this crashbar model (I agree with Mark111's comment on it above)...

The only hope I have at this point is that enough of us G8V owners will show interest in Todd getting his hands and brains into developing a cool and reliable GuzziTech model...

Go Todd!!! You're da man!!! :cheer:

- UPDATE -

In less than 3000 miles, also the replacement crashbar Stucchi sent me has failed (in pretty much the same fashion as the previous one, see original post above).

Best of luck to any of you who spent their hard-earned $$$ on this fine piece of cr... Italian engineering :whistle:

Greyo said:
Any suggestion for a RELIABLE crashbar for the Griso 8V?

Sorry to learn your replacement Stucchi crash bars also failed.

I'm surprised to see that no one has answered your original question after four pages. Just four pages of back-and-forth about the Stuchhi's.

Have you considered the Hepco & Becker Griso crash bars? I see them listed in certain places on the web for 850/1100/1200 Griso, so I suppose they might fit your 1200. You might be able to tell by looking at the installation pdf and seeing if the same mounting points are there on your 1200.

I have them on my 1100 and I believe they are probably better than the Stucchi models.

On the 1100 I'm not sure any crash bars are really worthwhile, because of the crash pucks on the rocker covers, but if I had a 1200 I'd use them, and I'd use Hepco & Becker if they fit.

Hi,
moto said:
I'm surprised to see that no one has answered your original question after four pages. Just four pages of back-and-forth about the Stuchhi's.
Sorry Moto, I think I answered Greyo's question at the first page... :huh:
When my Stucchi crasbar is still in one piece and still going oké after more than 10000 km (6500 mls),
I can't complaint about the product.
There are more G12 owners with Stucchi bars who still are in one piece and therefore are satisfied.
It's shitty that Greyo had a crappy pair. :dry:
More shit even that his second pair also fails in the same way. :eek:hmy:
The Stucchi bars are becoming less trustworthy in that way, but as I wrote before, mine are in one piece and oké.
I really like the looks, so they will stay on my G12 for at least as long as they are oké.

Greyo, does your G12 vibrate in a different way? More different than ours?
I'm just guessing agian...
Can you buy other crash bars than the Stucchi ones for the G12?

Ad B

Ad B said:
Hi,
moto said:
Sorry Moto, I think I answered Greyo's question at the first page... :huh:

No, you just contradicted him and told him the Stucchi is reliable. His experience with the replacement has probably convinced him that you are wrong.

I just offered him an alternative to the Stucchi, as he originally requested. (Not sure it fits, though.)

Moto

moto said:
...Have you considered the Hepco & Becker Griso crash bars?
Thanks for the suggestion - I think the Hepco & Becker might fit (I think have seen pics of G8Vs with them on) and, as far as I can tell, it would be the only alternative currently availalble on the market (although they seem hard to find here in the US).

...Greyo, does your G12 vibrate in a different way? More different than ours?
I don't know, as I have no experience with other Grisos... for what it's worth, I have ridden an 8V Stelvio, and it seemed to vibrate noticeably more than my G8VSE. I should point out that I lean toward the high end of the revving range, for the most part well above 5000 rpm and it's not uncommon for me to hit the rev-limiter at 7,800 or so... but even if that explained the 100% failure rate of the Stucchi set on my bike, I would still be compelled to conclude that its design is flawed.

Anyhow, at least three folks on this thread have experienced the same kind of issue with the Stucchi set, plus, Stucchi S.r.l. itself implicitly acknowledged that the problem is real, as they tried to come up with a fix for it ("Luigi style", unfortunately) - see above for details on this.

So, at this point it seems logical to conclude that buying that particular Stucchi item may be a bit of a gamble indeed - at US $180 or so retail, I guess most folks would appreciate knowing about that...

I have the Hepco on my wife's 1100 but they will fit on the 1200 just the same.
I can't think of any other brand available for the Griso than the Hepco and Stucci so we're stuck with only one brand that's trouble free for now... :(

moto said:
Ad B said:
Hi,
No, you just contradicted him and told him the Stucchi is reliable. His experience with the replacement has probably convinced him that you are wrong.

I just offered him an alternative to the Stucchi, as he originally requested. (Not sure it fits, though.)

Moto
Mr. Moto,
My last words on your childish discusion, do you read one word "reliable" in my answer on the first page?? :(
Thank you, me neither...
I have only one crash bar and it's keeping in one piece. So for ME, my crash bar is reliable.
But only my crash bar isn't making the oppinion for the rest of the world, as Greyo's crash bar isn't.
One broken Guzzi doesn't make Guzzi a bad bike... :idea:
And please shoot me, but I'm keeping my Stucchi crash bar onto my G12. B)
Now I'm going to end this, got more important things to do.

PS I think your Hepco is going to bend inwards...

Ad B

Back