• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso - Blowing main 30amp Fuse

draidt said:
The ECU ground strap connector had a loose crimp, Water got in there and corroded the connection overnight and it fried the ECU, replaced under warranty and that connection is now silver soldered

Thanks. Such a small thing, with such an expensive (if not under warranty) result. Perhaps checking those connections and adding some protective oil/grease during dealer setup would be a good idea.

Chicago Mark said:
Where is the ECU on the Griso?

Mark

Not buried under the tank or seat like you'd expect, but in front of the tank behind a little piece of plastic :huh:

Thank you !

I'll check my ECU connections out tomorrow to ensure they're still good after likely getting wet recently.Maybe add some vaseline or dielectric grease if needed.

Thanks Again,

Mark

mattm said:
Just got a call that the bike is all fixed. Their final analysis is a battery that was never fully charged, and since it was never fully charged it didn't work properly. And, Yes, it was the cause of two blown 30 amp fuses. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm no MG mechanic either. How does that sound to y'all...?

I can't see how a partially charged battery could cause this problem, the alternator would be more than capable of charging it on a reasonable run without blowing the fuse, I think sometimes they will tell you anything when they can't diagnose an intermitent problem, I was convined mine was an alternator probem, but this is reasonable easy to check that it is operating with the correct output with the bike running. You should be able to get the alternator checked without going to the cost of repalcing it just to try. Once you know that the alternator is ok it really only leaves a short in the loom / dash or a problem with the ecu as it was in my case. Hope you find the problem soon

Honestly, I cannot connect the dots of a low battery causing my blown fuses either, but I defer to the experience of vet riders on this one. And, from my 22+ years of work experience, electricity and electronics can behave in very illogical ways. I rode her back from the MG tech (1 hr and 15 min) in 84ºF sunny weather with my eye on the voltage meter and all looked good. I bought a battery tender for when she's dormant, dielectric grease to treat all those important potentially water exposed connector bits, and will hand her over to my MG mechanic for a good once-over when I'm back in RI.

So for now, I'm going to ride as much as possible before May 25, then make the 600 mi trip to Maine for a weekend of camping with friends, then 250 mi back down to Rhode Island. When it's all over, I'll write about how things went.

I blew another 30 amp fuse this morning on my way to work. Luckily, having the dash set to volts meter, I noticed the sudden drop and was able to get back to where I was staying.

At this point, based on so many post responses and my mechanic in RI, I'm leaning towards it being a connection problem. Specifically, I think a hard turn to the right is when it happens. I told the service manager to pass on to the tech to check all the connections, but I cannot confirm that they did - the tech was not there when I picked it up...

I'll post an update after a thorough going over...

The 30A fuse on the right hand side blew last night on my 8V SE. Assume that is the one from the battery to the voltage regulator.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that I had put it on a Ctek battery tender the night before for the first time. Was fine on the trip into work but would not turn over when I went out to go home.

The question I have is whether this is can be a one off or is it time to take it to a dealer?

I have a CTEK charger too (XS800). I use it to charge all my bikes with battery in situ EXCEPT the G8VSE.

I am skeptical towards Italian electronics and went through the trouble to remove the battery from the Griso for charging. Lately, I got tired of doing that and very tempted to install a pigtail to the battery terminals so that I can charge it in situ.

gvw, please share with us if you found any relation between the blown fuse and the battery tender. Thanks ;)

DSCN6829.jpg

Had the same fuse blow twice today. Once this morning when the bike would not start and the second time while riding on the way home - noticed because the headlight went out.

Would not have noticed if it was not dark as the speedo and dash stayed on. Replaced the 30A fuse and that fixed it. The fuse is the right hand side one looking to the front of the bike.

The 15A fuse A runs the lights and that was fine?? Any reason why the 30A fuse to the battery and voltage regulator would affect the headlight?

Blew another fuse this morning, third one in two days - fourth in a week or so.

Takes out the tail light/brake light and headlight and the regulator. Voltage drops to 12.2v but the engine stays on. Turn signals work.

Found this wiring diagram which is a lot clearer than the service manual.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• 2008_Griso_8V.gif
    2008_Griso_8V.gif
    201.4 KB · Views: 575
Is terminal now, cannot replace a fuse without it blowing so spending some $$ on a bike chauffeur home to the workshop. All the Honda riders at my work are having a field day with me at the moment...

Hi gvw,
Disconnect all plugs and sockets to isolate different parts of the circuit, replace the fuse , hopefully it wont blow. If it does it could be the alternator or starter/solenoid as they are hard wired, then connect each plug one at a time in a logical fashion untill the fuse blows, then investigate that part of the circuit. Another way to test without blowing fuses is to use a multimeter. Set it to the resistance range and check each wire to earth looking for a very low resistance, you can do that with the battery disconnected. Blow up and print off the wiring diagram you have and and check of each circuit as you test it. Good luck. A constantly blowing fuse is easier to find than an intermittent fault.
cheers Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Appreciate the pointers, I have a big electrical learning curve ahead of me this weekend.

Starting with replacing the relays and the headlight bulb (??) as some guzzi mechanics from Victoria advised that they have been the source of problems in the past. Might get lucky.

Will be getting help with anything past that until I can troubleshoot myself.

gvw

Update.

Switched the relays around and replaced the headlight bulb and was still dead shorting.

Disconnected everything and put fuse back in. Reconnected one by one, fuse did not blow once and starts fine. Back to an intermittent fault.

Am loathe to ride it to work because when the fuse does go, I lose headlight and brakelights but the engine still runs and that is no good anytime but especially when commuting before sunup and after sundown. Could stop and put a fuse in but another dead short means a long wait and another night time tow ($$$).

Ordered a new relay (light logic relay is a guess as to why the lights go out) and will put in a new licence plate bulb (read that was the problem for someone somewhere).

Other than that, my option is to ride it on a Saturday morning to the dealer (did not buy from them) and hope it blows again on the way so they have something to sort out.

Will persevere - but will also join the RACQ so I can get cheaper tows.

Finally getting somewhere.

Bike is back together and no longer blowing fuses but the voltage when it is running is only 12.8v to 13.1v and going higher occasionally. Before the dead short, it would show between 13.8 and 14.1v when running.

Having the alternator removed and tested next week and will see what they report.

Back on the road again. Alternator and battery tested fine?? There was nothing that jumped out as causing the issue.

Every connection was taken apart and cleaned so unless it happens again, maybe it was a bad earth as per Pete's post 2 on this thread.

When running, the dash voltage is now in the high 12V and low 13V range. I am sure it used to high 13V and low 14V. Is that normal or is there still something amiss?

gvw said:
When running, the dash voltage is now in the high 12V and low 13V range. I am sure it used to high 13V and low 14V. Is that normal or is there still something amiss?

The voltage you are reading now is more normal compared to what you were getting. I would be skeptical of your battery (or the battery connections), despite it getting checked out OK.

To help the diagnostics further, exactly which 30A is continuously blowing? Perhaps the one on the RHS as you describe is not the same RHS as the one in the circuit diagram. Can you identify it by the color code of the wires, i.e. the Red/Wht one or the Grn/Red one?

Back