• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GRISO MPG

My 2009 G8V has 6000km (3750 miles) on the clock now.

I’ll get 230~240km (144~150 miles) before the reserve light comes on. Mostly highway cruising with average speed around 80km/h (50mph) recorded by the dash.

That’s around 18km/L or 42.4mpg.

It must be the lower gravity at equator :woohoo:

All of these figures seem low compared to my 'Touring' figures of almost exactly 20km per litre. Havingsaid that riding in what Guzzi handbooks used to describe as a 'Sportsmans-like' manner will see that figure plunge!

Pete

Here's two bobs worth of fuel consumption ;)

08 8v 10,000kms on the clock
Picked up a ex demo via pete roper who's navigator has "gone to god" so no tune state could be ascertained.
"Runs" like a pig till its properly warm. Bit of a clue to how well set up the tune is Ive never ridden a Carc bike before and it was COLD
I arrived with limited riding gear in Alpine conditions so took it easy for a while (steady around the 100 to 110kph with a few sections (as I grew into the bike) of 115-120KPH and it used exactly 10.3 litres for the 204km.
= 5lt / 100km or 20km/Lt(19.8)
As it gets a little more remote and winding and the chance of a apprehension diminishes the next stint was half at 115-120kph and the rest at more B) including a few bursts around 160-190kph. (Arm sockets get testedIt was dusk when the fuel lite came on so I detoured to a pump and tootled the last 20kms at 105kph at the pump it took 13.9 litres for the 226 kms.
= 6lt / 100km or 16km/Lt (16.25)
The fills were to the bottom of the little plastic skirt so fairly consistant amounts. These seem ok to me with a chance they might even get a tad better :whistle: :whistle:

Updates on my G8V MPG.

After Pete uploaded the #68 map to my ECU, I immediately noticed the fuel consumption gets slightly better on the first tank.

I have been monitoring the fuel consumption for the past 3000km (1875miles) since it is loaded with the new map and it proved that my observation is correct.

Now my G8V fuel reserve light turns on at 250~260km (156~162miles) consistently.

It is now about 19.6km/L or 46MPG.

That’s 10% of improvement comparing to the fuel consumption before the updating of #68 map.

Phang

Lots of things affect the mpg riding into a head wind without a fairing for example, but the biggest thing I have found on my Breva 1200 is the cold weather auto choke. Until engine gets hot the thing runs rich, this can be as far 15 miles in the winter.
Now it is warmer ride for say 10 miles and then reset the mpg indicator this will give the potenial mpg on a run. Of course on short distances you will get poorer mpg due to the engine going back into choke mode.
To me it is a poor design a simple throttle body lifter (aka BMW) would have been better.

Until engine gets hot the thing runs rich, this can be as far 15 miles in the winter.

Ooook, my commute is 12 miles each way. Winter economy is horrible. It was the same on my '00 Jackal and '04 Sport. The hackers, geeks and boffins in the Guzzi world need to figure out how to shut this "feature" off.

I got my griso 8V SE just before the winter snows in Nov10 and tried to run it in when the roads thawed out and started getting 25-30mpg! Not happy! It was pointed out this was US gallons, but still shocking. Longer runs and more miles on the clock has seen this jump into the mid-30's (UK). Filling up on a hot engine and running 'till empty gets about 46mpg and that with some thrashing the nuts off it too. :D Never got any more than about 115 miles before the fuel light has come on though.

On the whole it goes like a dream except between 2.5k and 3.5k revs when it's very lumpy and surges slightly. Higher octane fuel has helped. Being bought in Nov10 I would have thought it'd have the latest mapping?

pete roper said:
thirdguzzi said:
Being bought in Nov10 I would have thought it'd have the latest mapping?

No. The #68 map is not homologated. It has to be uploaded by Axone or Navigator.

pete
Ah haaa! Does it sound like this 'surging' would be sorted with the re-map? Who does this in the UK (Midlands - Nottingham)?

thirdguzzi said:
Ah haaa! Does it sound like this 'surging' would be sorted with the re-map? Who does this in the UK (Midlands - Nottingham)?

Streffords In Worcester did mine.

I only have 650 miles on my 2009 G12. Tonight my fuel light came on at 139. Then I saw the little fuel icon, my ODO went away and in it's place it started counting up from when the fuel light came on. I got gas at 150.1 miles and took on 3.74 gallons for a mpg figure of just over 40. That 150 miles consisted of 20 miles of 0 to 45 mph with a red light every mile. So it was 1, 2, 3, 4 stop, 1, 2, 3, 4 stop. I averaged 70 to 75 mph on the interstate with several stretches well above 85. Seems to me 40mpg is pretty good and I'm looking forward to it getting even better as the miles roll up.

My G12 is box stock in the intake/exhaust/efi systems. It also hasn't burned a drop of oil yet and I find body position makes a big impact on mpg as well.

All the best,

Mark

damn i think I need to ride sideways or get a more aerodynamic backpack. Filled up 3.6 gals 109 miles

I do have the small Guzzi flyscreen and the #68s map. I'm not lightweight by any measure but a slight crouch does have a big effect on mileage for me.

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
I do have the small Guzzi flyscreen and the #68s map. I'm not lightweight by any measure but a slight crouch does have a big effect on mileage for me. Mark

Until now I have been unable to contribute to this thread because I never went anywhere :(

Last weekend I visited a friend in VA, "Uncle" of this board. Its a trip of under 300 miles if you don't get lost. I was carefully monitoring my fuel consumption because it was so miserable all Winter. A steady highway drone at 70 MPH yielded better than 40 mpg U.S. thanks to Pete Roper and his mapping magic.

Not much worse than my Eldo making the same run at the same speeds. The trip is about six hours door to door and I stopped once each way. Three continuous hours in the saddle had me in more positions than the Karma Sutra but that is normal for me on any bike. Next time I won't forget my sheepskin seat cover.

The Go Cruise throttle lock was a lifesaver. Highly recommended.

DW

Hey Pete,
Would that #68 map be suitable for a 850 Griso as well as a 1100-1200 ?
Regards
Gregg (Green V11 that you aligned the drive shaft on when I picked up a Roper plate from you)

No, map upgrades are very much model specific and there are none for the 850 but having said that the 850's seem to run very nicely if set up correctly, (I have one awaiting collection by its owner in my yard as I type this.) No, the 850's don't have the vivacity of the 1100's or the 8V but they should fuel up nicely if they are set up right and if you take the right approach, ie, wring their necks like there's no tomorrow! They hop along quite satisfactorily!!!

Pete

Off topic question asking for quick answer:
Given the occasion, can the 850 be upgraded by any common sense means ps larger pistons etc ?
Besides bore and stroke does it differ at the valves - heads - throttle bodies?
Same ECU, different map?
Worth it?

Going back to the original topic.....

I've just done a 2200+ mile trip and the G12's mpg has indeed improved. Bike's now done 16500 miles and over the whole trip averaged 52 miles per UK gallon. Roads were a mix of everything from remote Scottish single track roads thru' to motorways and speeds were generally around the legal limits. Glad to say I never needed the spare fuel I was carrying just in case I got stranded nowhere near a petrol pump in the Highlands!

Back