• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzi Revolution

caspar

Tuned and Synch'ed
The revolution is coming.

Headed up by Terblanche and Galuzzi, of 999 and RSV4 fame. The two designers are teaming up to give Guzzi a new look. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
They did an interview with Hell for Leather: here
On the front page of Hell for Leather they go through the concepts displayed at the EICMA show last year.

Not sure about Terblanche's idea of style or track record, so let's hope it's Galuzzi that's holding the design pencils and that Terblanche is just doing the colouring in :D ;)

You're right there Joe. I think the major thing is that Guzzi have recognised a major issue with there bikes and are making a serious attempt to rectify it.
The exciting part is this:
Galluzzi: "The advantage Guzzi has versus Ducati is that Ducati makes sportsbikes, Guzzi can do anything it wants because they've been doing it a long time and on all sorts of bikes. We are not in a box, we can do anything we want as long as we are able to make it.

Not sure what "issues" they have identified and what they are going to do about correcting them. They talk about the size of modern Guzzi's compared to Guzzi's of old.... They have no idea what they are talking about.
Galuzzi is very talented and while I am not sure his ideas will go over with Guzzi buyers I like his mechanical philosophy.
Terblanche is a one hit wonder (Supermono), and that hit was amazing for its engineering and uniqueness more then the styling of Terblanche in my opinion. Most everything else I have seen from him ranges from uninspired to butt ugly. One can only hope Guzzi fires him before he kills the brand. Guzzi is not as big as Ducati and may not be able to weather the damage he does the way Ducati did.

The issue is that Moto Guzzi doesn't have market share in any of the categories it currently has a model in, this is an issue because they aren't breaking into new ground. Instead they are keeping the old pool of buyers that have been enthusiasts for years, many are on this forum, including myself. Guzzi need to be winning over new people and doing this before they get to the showroom. They can do this by making attractive bikes both aesthetically and on paper. I feel that their on paper attraction is lacking, with over weight and under powered bikes.
Back in the 'hay day' people would go to motorcycle shops to by a LeMans or a V7, people would see them in the street and think that is the bike they want. Now they see them in the street and think they are interesting, but the BMW/Ducati/HD in the same category is technically superior.

OK.....
You must be reading all this better then me.
I read some rubbish about Guzzi's being much smaller bikes years ago and now they are too big and heavy. Clearly said by someone who has no idea what he is talking about.
But as I said, Galuzzi is a talented designer who has some good philosophies about mass reduction and centralization. But I am not sure how well that will go over at Guzzi. And if your drive train is most of your weight (and that the Guzzi drive train is)then it makes it hard to reduce it or move it around.
And Terblanche is not shown himself to be very talented so far. He did some serious damage to Ducati, and I hope he does not do the same to Guzzi as they are a smaller company that may not be able to survive a "999".
And if you don't build bikes that people who buy your product will buy then you likely will not stay in business for long.
The key is to build bikes that your customers buy but that expand the appeal of the brand to a larger audience. Like the V11 did.

I think the comment about the current Guzzis being heavier than the old ones, isn't a direct comparison, but a comparison with where the respective models sit in their market. I understand that the older Guzzis were the lightest fastest bikes out there, which is certainly not the case now.

caspar said:
I think the comment about the current Guzzis being heavier than the old ones, isn't a direct comparison, but a comparison with where the respective models sit in their market. I understand that the older Guzzis were the lightest fastest bikes out there, which is certainly not the case now.
It is true that Guzzi made small, light, bikes but that was in the 60's and earlier. The bikes specifically mentioned in interview by them were the V7 and the LeMans, neither was light or small. And Guzzi still makes a version or two of the V7 based on the same engine. The modern 4 valve per cylinder Guzzi engine is a big step forward and I hope that they continue making improvements and introducing new models using that motor and what ever developments of that motor that come along. It would be nice to see brand new motors and transmissions that are lighter and more compact, as long as they are Moto Guzzi and not re-badged Aprilia pieces. Watered cooled....OK, not my choice but I can see the need. V4....sure, bring it on. Parallel twin...fine. I am not some one who thinks that all Guzzi's have to be 90 degree air cooled transverse V twins. But I don't consider sticking a heavy existing drive train in a megatard chassis or a foo foo fashion accessory bike a revolution and I worry that kind of "engineering" will bury MG.
And yes, it was a direct comparison of a modern Guzzi and the old V7 and LeMans. They suggested that "if you park them (the V7 and Lemans) next to a modern bike they are very, very small. They look like a 250 today." and then went on to say that current modern Guzzi's, on the other hand, are "extremely heavy and large".

You make a good point. I neglected to remember that part of the comment in my previous posts.

In that respect you are right, they are bat shit crazy for thinking the older bikes are lighter and smaller than the newer stuff. I know my LeMans is my bigger than the little 250 Kwaka I have.

looks like the production model will be a lot less radical.

8366_normal.jpg

Basically a Griso with silly bodywork and an ugly headlight :twisted:

Pete

pete roper said:
looks like the production model will be a lot less radical.
Basically a Griso with silly bodywork and an ugly headlight

I agree with you, but, what about the tank? That's not a Griso tank. It looks taller (maybe even too tall next to the seat). You don't suppose they've actually increased the fuel capacity to 25 liters? If so, I'll let them have their odd bits.

EDIT: I just realized that this thing doesn't have the Griso frame--unless it's somehow hiding under all that odd silver bodywork (not likely).

My guess is it is the Griso frame but with the side plates/pork-chops removed and the pegs etc.bolted directly to the frame proper or other smaller sub frames by the look of it. we won't know until we get a better, closer look at it.

pete

By the looks of the shut-line along the tank and how the pillion pegs are mounted to the frame section I would say this has the 'tip up' type design that was seen on the show bikes. That would also explain the taller tank section.

I reckon get rid of the silly heat sink on the side of the frame and you'll have a nice looking bike.
It's still no Griso though.

I am sick and tired of hearing from you nit wit people that "guzzis from the past was not light and nimble" this is a refernce to the bikes in the 40-50-60' where they had low power but had half the weight! The dondolino, bi-cilindrica, condore and other of their bikes was extremely lightweight! If you want to have MG surviving it has to re-invent itself again. They have to move to water cooled engines(emissions) and lighter bikes, the buying public today read the tech spec. first then they go for a test ride. If you do not have the performance they never comes to do a test ride at all and you do not sell bikes. If you can get a bike, similar looking, with double the performanse at the same price, what do you think they will consider?

Back