Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

GuzziTech Power Commander V Information

Discussion in 'GT-Rx® Fueling' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Denny, congrats on the Norge! Hopefully you've read above to find out one of the steps to resolve your issues, but I've also sent you a direct e-mail. Post again here if you don't get it.

2. makarushka

makarushka Cruisin' Guzzisti

Over the weekend I had a chance to ride from SF to LA to visit Todd and complete the GuzziTech treament for my 2009 Griso 8V with the PCV\AT installation, with Todd tuning it personally. I already went through three reflashes of his -- for experiment's sake -- for various configurations, starting from stock bike and progressing to open pipe with an open airbox (see the ECU thread here for more details on that), so PCV\AT was the only thing remaining. I had an idea what to expect, as I had gone the full GTRx route with my V11 Sport previously but the results in this case exceeded my expectation and I wanted to provide an account of my impressions here.

The bike is very much improved and fuels infinitely better than before. Biggest improvement areas are:

1) smoother on/off throttle transitions.
    2) MUCH better low-end from idle to 3K
    3) power delivery pretty much everywhere -- it is delivered quicker and there is more of it. At the "right" spot, like in 5th gear nearing 5.5K, the thing RIPS truly instantaneously.
    4) deceleration is much improved; just about the right amount of engine braking

To put it differently, this was a bike that looked great but only had moments of glory as far as fueling was concerned -- very poor low-end, slow and lazy throttle response everywhere, HATED to be in traffic as it would heat up and become barely rideable under 4K with increased vibration and lumpy engine response. This was on a stock bike with map 068 and perfectly set-up -- throttle body sync, TPS, etc. -- no issues whatsoever. It was a bike I loved to look at but hated riding except in a very narrow sweet spot, where it was delightful. I knew in the long run I could not live with it that way. My riding varies between twisties, city, and highway -- I do it all save for off-road, and I could not have lived with the Griso the way it ran stock, even perfectly tuned.

Now, with an open pipe, open airbox and BMC filter element, with a full GTRx treatment tweaked by Todd personally, this is all but gone. The bike is a dream to ride and I am happy as a clam. The improvement isn't subtle; of course, everyone's points of reference and preferences differ but I would be very surprised to find anyone who rode the bike before and after and did not agree that this objectively was a MASSIVE difference.

Thank you Todd -- again -- for your hospitality, for the new bike that now runs how it should, and for sharing the knowledge. Was great to meet you!

3. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Cali & PC-V/AT

This past Sunday I installed the Power Commander 5 with Auto Tune I got from Todd.

I also opened the air box with a Fast by Ferraci thing.

HOLY SHIT Batman! New Bike! Smooth & powerful through out the range and even "lugging" 5th gear down to 2500 RPM then accelerating without a downshift was no problem.

Don't know about other models but if you got a Cali you need it.

Only had time for a short run so this Sunday we'll put on a few hundred miles & really see how it does.

VERY SATISFIED!!

Thank You Todd

4. GT-Rx®

Re: Cali & PC-V/AT

My absolute pleasure... thank for the post, and chat again soon!

My pleasure, thanks to you Trout, glad you can enjoy the benefits like all the others with this technology.

5. P.odono76a

P.odono76a Just got it firing!

I just wanted to post a short note of thanks to Todd Eagan for his expertise and willing help in transforming my stock Norge 8v into the thoroughbred it was intended to be. As delivered it suffered from the typical Italian strangulation of their Euro Emissions fuel map. Not So Now! The full ticket GT-Rx fuel kit has worked miracles in making this bike a joy to ride. It has improved cold start, throttle response, decel characteristics and perserved mileage while doing it! Any fellow riders with their eyeball on any late model Guzzi should consider shaking a few more coins out of the piggy bank to invest in this single most effective modification to realize the full potential of their machine. It is amazing! Pete O'Donoghue

6. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I just installed the PCv and autotune with Todd's ECU for my V7 Classic. Good Lord what a difference! The bike starts easier, throttle response is immediate, it's basically a different motorcycle now. Many thanks to Todd for getting the small block 750 dialed in so well!

7. MrMorrisSD

MrMorrisSD Tuned and Synch'ed

O2 optimizer + PC-V... impressions?

I have an '07 Griso 1100. It's got a Quat-D Magnum pipe on it. Basically runs pretty nice from what I can tell, but I am curious is there's more to gain by adding the PC-V and O2 optimizer. For those who have used, or are using the optimizer, did you notice any difference/improvement in the behavior? All comments are welcome.

FWIW, I'm aware that the full package (PC-V, AT, and ECU) is the way to go of one wants to ensure 'fixing' any factory-intended deficiencies in the fueling etc, but that setup is a bit more money than I think I should part with.

Thanks.

8. GT-Rx®

Re: O2 optimizer + PC-V... impressions?

In short, the 02-optimizer controls fueling at low throttle below 4k RPM. Some notice a glitch in the transition, some do not. What I recommend is the ECU flash first (plenty of posts here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/208/4129.html), then add a PC-V & AT from there if/as desired.

Happy to answer any questions direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

9. catfish

catfish Just got it firing!

Hi Todd, got my PCV with 02 optimizer, thanks! I managed to find the instructions on how to install the PCV, but where are the instructions on installing the 02 optimizer?

Thanks,
    Sean

10. zigzag

zigzag Tuned and Synch'ed

I have Todd’s PC-V, AT, and the ECU reflash with a BMC filter and Zard exhaust on my ‘09 Stelvio. I recently upgraded my battery with an Antigravity and for some reason forgot to reconnect the Autotune ground lead. Of course the bike wouldn’t start. So, I disconnected the whole PC-V, AT setup and went back to the factory setup. The bike started and then I went for a ride. Oh boy, I had forgotten what a treat this system really is. It felt like I lost power. Accelerations seemed sluggish and the 4 K RPM hole reappeared. (not to mention the exhaust popping sound) It was a real turn off. So I made a quick U-turn back home and called Todd to figure out what was wrong. I felt kind of dumb when Todd told me I just missed the ground lead…So happy to have my “monster” back! :evil:

11. RonStelvio

RonStelvio Tuned and Synch'ed

Question regarding the PC5 Map you provide Todd. As per our last conversation, I'm considering the PC5 and O2 Optimizer....

How did you obtain the data for the upper reaches of the fueling map? A dyno perhaps?

I was considering the Auto Tune, but I'm thinking that there will be little opportunity for me to have it set fueling for the area of the map near redline + 6th gear.

In my experience it's difficult to hold the throttle WFO for more than 10 seconds on public roads. Not and keep my license. :)

I've not seen this addressed in the forum posts. Please excuse me if I've missed it.

12. Lee Turner

Lee Turner Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Todd completed the second part of my three stage performance update plan for my B11 yesterday by installing a PC-V/AT along with his airbox lid and filter. (Stage 1 was the GT-Rx ECU re-flash after I picked up the bike last fall.) Well, the PC-V/AT is awesome. It is simply amazing how smooth the bike runs and any traces of surging/lugging/hesitation are gone. It pulls harder and revs faster.

And the sound accelerating hard while getting onto the 101...? Pure music!! Todd says I should see a mileage bump with the PC in place, though it'll probably be a wash as I become addicted to the sweet sound of the intake. :cool:

Looking forward to completing stage 3, Y-pipe and exhaust, within the next couple of months!

13. GT-Rx®

Just caught this Ron. I achieved the corrections by duplicating what is done on a dyno on a (ahem) "closed course." :whistle: Third gear is all that is needed, and/or just ride it. The maps I supply with each unit will be a great baseline, and really you shouldn't have to worry about the upper ranges unless you find yourself there on a normal ride.

14. GT-Rx®

Thanks Lee, and glad you like it as much as I did (outside of the enticing intake sound). Wait until you get the plug of a exhaust system off, then you'll really be smiling.
    Appreciate the post.

15. PJA0916

PJA0916 Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Having recently Installed the PC-V and Autotune module, It's hard to describe just how good my Griso is running. I really cannot believe this is the same bike I purchased back in January. The throttle response off idle has smoothed out considerably and it pulls cleanly and very linear throughout the Rev range, no surprises. Also gone is the lean surging that was pretty pronounced at steady throttle settings. No more needs to be said, the bike simply runs great. Also the installation was very straight forward, no surprises there either. The ECU re-flash along with the power commander were well worth the investment. Congratulations to Todd for a very well thought out fueling package.

Pete

16. GT-Rx®

Pete, excellent, thanks for posting. If everyone only knew what bike is hidden within. Many years and $'s invested, but it's worth it to me alone, but I'm happy many others are able to enjoy it too.

17. Callan09

Callan09 Just got it firing!

just installed todd's whole setup and have a question regarding the throttle calibration in the PCV software. The instructions state idle is about .700 and max.open is 4.300 or above. Mine is reading .498 and 2.700, so should I manually set the figures to the instructions or leave as is? If I should reset then what is the correct way to go about it? Also, any ideas why mine is different to the stated figures? Does the calibration of the throttle have to be reset every time you do the valves and sync the throttle bodies like the TPS gets checked with the Centurion software or is this a one time only setup....thanks

18. jknight611

jknight611 Tuned and Synch'ed

It is a WOW now!!

Just came back from a short ride on my 13 Stelvio after the PC V/auto tune, Todd reflash, air box top, and a long awaited Zard slip on. :D :D Very smooth, throttle response good, not surging at all, sounds great, no popping, pulls good! Seems to run better when I got back (makes sense)! , it is GOOD!

Thanks Todd

Jay on the South Coast

19. ausguzzi

ausguzzi Just got it firing!

I have had the full fuelling package on my 2011/12 Stelvio for nearly 2 years now. The transformation of the bike was excellent. I doubt I would have kept the bike without the mod. Fortunately I rode a dealer-demo bike recently that confirmed my previous enthusiasm - the std bike was a bit ordinary. Well worth the cost.

20. GT-Rx®

Just catching this, sorry... always do the Min/Max setting in the PC-V software. It tell the PC-V where to start/end the map. You do this on the newer machines by letting it warm up, click reset, and quickly stab the throttle to wide open/full. Click OK, and you should see a solid '0' on screen. 2.7 sounds low, but don't sweat it. I recommend a TP reset every time you reset the TPS with the Centurion program, yes.