• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hazard lights.

So, I finally got around to reading the owner's manual regarding the dash, previously just jumped around the topics. Here is an interesting thing, there are two instances where all 4 turn indicators will come on;

p31 - if there is an ECU disconnect failure the electronics cause the 'hazard' lights to come on to warn drivers behind the bike of a problem.

p51 - a menu configurable setting where if the braking is extreme the hazard lights are activated (briefly I presume).

So the ECU has the ability to trigger hazard lights as we know them, surely MG can get a software engineer to provide an update to give us a menu option to do it manually? It is as much a safety feature as ABS.

Is this too logical? Have I lost my mind?

T2

If I may add my two cents here, most vehicles I know has possibility of leaving position lights on and taking ignition key away. Just in case you need leave vehicle in some dark place where visibility would be advised.

And if I remember correctly Breva had an ignition position where steering lock would be engaged, position lights on and possibility of removing ignition key. Also my BMW R1200R has a combination of buttons, which for a love of God I could never remember but the result would be steering lock on, lights on.

Can’t see such a feature here.

If I may add my two cents here, most vehicles I know has possibility of leaving position lights on and taking ignition key away. Just in case you need leave vehicle in some dark place where visibility would be advised.

And if I remember correctly Breva had an ignition position where steering lock would be engaged, position lights on and possibility of removing ignition key. Also my BMW R1200R has a combination of buttons, which for a love of God I could never remember but the result would be steering lock on, lights on.

Can’t see such a feature here.

It is not a feature of this motorcycle or any other Piaggio product that shares this TFT platform. My 2023 Piaggio MP3 530 HPE is the platform that Piaggio took the switchgear and TFT from (been on the scooters since 2021) to put on the Moto Guzzi V100 platform, and it also does not have a hazard light function any longer.

I suspect it is because when the dashboard is active, it is a "Power Pig". Yes the TFT looks fantastic but man does she draw power like crazy. The hazards would keep the dash active and the drain would quickly discharge the battery.

Even in the owners manual, there is a strong caution to not let the bike sit energized without starting the engine as the battery will quickly drain out.

Last edited:
You may on to something here. While back I was checking parasite draw and also checked current with key on, it was around 6 Amp. Didn’t think much of it then but it’s really huge. Can’t remember was it with ignition button on or off, was it just electronics or fuel pump and ignition coils as well. In any case the current draw is big.

But lack of hazard light is pretty inconvenient. Over here they work not only as a park anywhere button but also as a thank you sign. Someone lets you in from the side or allows to cut in front of him you switch hazards for 2-3 flashes. Just good manners.

I think there is a way in the menu to turn the hazard lights on. But as already mentioned I wouldn't leave them on but for a short period for an emergency stop. I can go look but I am not yet real proficient with the menus yet.
kk

What you are talking about is a configuration setting for flashing a “hazard flash” on the lamps during rapid breaking.

Many modern high end bikes have TFT's and hazard lights. If others, like my Triumph Tiger, can do it why not Guzzi? Battery drain is a cop out IMO.

T2

If there is an alarm connector for an accessory alarm then as per the V7 850 you just need to short 2 pins together with a momentary contact button. Caveats as per Scott's probably still apply.

😂 .....yep, I can read and had seen it. The point being it is not genius to design a motorcycle that has both ...is it?

If there is an alarm connector for an accessory alarm then as per the V7 850 you just need to short 2 pins together with a momentary contact button. Caveats as per Scott's probably still apply.

Thanks for that tip - I will take a look at that. If the hazard lights need to be left flashing, I'm likely to have bigger issues on my mind than a flat battery, just sayin'...... and the motor can be left running.

T2

😂 .....yep, I can read and had seen it. The point being it is not genius to design a motorcycle that has both ...is it?

Wasn't put there for you specifically. It was put there for anybody who was reading the thread.

Electricity in a closed system like a battery, is finite. TFT displays are cool with all those colors and graphics but that comes at a price, Amperage. Having emergency flashers is a nice touch and I wish it was there but for whatever reason they decided it wasn't to be on this model. Life goes on.

Wasn't put there for you specifically. It was put there for anybody who was reading the thread.

Electricity in a closed system like a battery, is finite. TFT displays are cool with all those colors and graphics but that comes at a price, Amperage. Having emergency flashers is a nice touch and I wish it was there but for whatever reason they decided it wasn't to be on this model. Life goes on.
Alternatively, many might argue hazard lights are a safety feature rather than a nice touch and Guzzi missed the boat on it.

Triumph understood what you said about closed loops and batteries, though I was a tad perplexed, and once the hazards are on the ignition can then be turned off. Imagine that!

But it ain't got no winglets.. 😂... a question of priorities perhaps.

I still like the V100 a lot, but the design is not beyond critique.

But life goes on. Enough.

T2

This post got me thinking so I have checked my other (fairly) new bikes.

BMW R1200R and Benelli 400, in both the current with key on, ignition off is about 1,0-1,5 Amp. In Guzzi around 6 Amps. OK, the LCD screens in both are way, way smaller but the difference is shocking.

Would someone be willing to check amperage on his motor? Just to make sure I don’t have a hidden problem.

The older Guzzi public might remember the saga with starter motor in around 2006-2010 models. What the epic it was.

Anyhow, I don’t buy Guzzis for the engineering, I buy them for the looks.
And they DO deliver.

The V100 service manual states that with the ignition switch on and engine stopped the current draw should be 3.372 amps.

I’ve checked again, with two different mustimeters. Admittedly those mustimeters are not high end but some cheap knock offs but both give pretty much same readings and I use them pretty often with no complaints.

With key on and ignition on there is 6.5 Amp draw. Too much.

Mystery continues.

Attachments

• 20240202_182131.jpg
    20240202_182131.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240202_182535.jpg
    20240202_182535.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 3
Back