• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ignition circuit protection

SDA

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
GT Contributor
I'm making a wiring harness from scratch for my Tonti project bike and have decided on using one of Rowe Electronics PDM-60 solid state power modules. Anyone tried or have opinions on these?

Never gotten this into electrical systems. Do I read my Carl Alliison wiring diagram correctly-ignition circuits have no circuit protection?

Any wiring design guidance offered will be greatly appreciated.

For those so inclined I believe I've found a great source for XLPE wire (not the PVC insulated stuff you get at the auto parts store) maneywire.com They have 22ga.-10ga TXL, GXL and SXL in 14 colors and they'll custom stripe your wire for you. 100' minimum per color and it comes on individual spools. Yea you'll have a lifetime supply of each size/color but if you geek-out on having the best supplies for your bike projects.......

Many bikes don't run a protected ignition circuit for the ignition. You don't want the engine to die for no good reason.

That said, Guzzi does make an error in routing too much current through ignition switches. I'd like to see a latching relay system on circuits such as horn, lights, turn signals and so on just so you don't burn up the ignition switch supplying all the current for these circuits.

The protection of the ignition circuit is a matter of personal preference. Apart from the fuse itself being another thing to fail I can't think of a downside in not protecting the circuit. I'd rather have an ignition failure than my lights when running at night on a dark road and nobody seems to question that circuit being fused.

My ignition circuit is protected and so far I've never had any problems.

That device seems very neat and I expect more to come onto the market in time and prices to fall. The first unit similar to it is the M-Unit from Motogadget, a German supplier producing trick electrical pieces for customs (with prices to match).

http://motogadget.com/en/electrics/...m-unit-digit-tastersteuerung-u-sicherung.html

I have an early version of it on my bike and it's great.

Rear-Wheel-In-3.jpg

The fuse box was added for running lights and some auxiliaries, it acts more as a martialling block than anything else. All the main circuit protection is done with the M-Unit

John

I've got almost the same problem.
I have mounted an electronic ignition system made by silent hektik. The control box does not use to much current but will fry when the voltage exceeds 15V. It's run on my V7 with a mechanical voltage regulator. I have heard these things can fail and when it does it's turns my ignition control box into an expensive smoke bomb.

Currently i have been fiddling around with a circuit that will cut the power to the control box when the voltage exceeds 14,8 Volt. It wil also engage when I forget the jiffy and try to drive away ( did that twice with no damage :roll: but it's an accident waiting to happen).

Hello John,

I was thinking of a comparator or with a zener diode that activates a relais that wil keep the unit from burning to a crisp. I would like to keep the bike original and just use modern electronics to check the original parts and interveen when things go bad.

Thanks all for your responses. It helps greatly to know that I'm not running with some cock-a-mamy idea that I came up on my own.

Old Jock, thanks for the photo. Some fine wiring work you did there. I think I'll use one of the circuits out of the PDM 60 for ignition. I went with the PDM 60 because of it's programmability. The company says it will have software and a cable out soon to enable you to do the programming yourself. Options are switched/non-switched; circuit protection adjustable in ¼A increments; power-up delay and power-down delay.

Zibell, Thanks for the input. I'll study the wiring diagrams and stray from normal Guzzi practice on those ignition switch powered items. I had not noticed that.

By the way Old Jock, Certainly you don't think you can post a photo of that without someone asking for more. It that a heavily modified Tonti frame? It the rear suspension one-off of your own design? Is there a thread on the forum with pictures?

Hi SDA

It's a Magni Sfida, uses Guzzi running gear but in a frame of Arturo Magni's design.

The frame is basically a Tonti but beefed up and features a parallelogram suspension to stop "shaft jacking" under acceleration. It just feels like a chain drive as far as handling goes (apart from all the bloody weight).

Here are a couple of links

http://www.magni.it/

My badly written build story

http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/features/stories/184--sfida-italian-for-challenge-

From Willem van der Togt's Facebook page on Magnis

https://www.facebook.com/MagniMotorcyclesEnthousiasts/photos_stream

Finally one of another that is stripped down awaiting restoration soon

1100ie-As-Delivered-6_zps7e17db6a.jpg

PM me if you want more info and sorry to go so off topic folks

John

Back