• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Jeez not again. Cams

Raggitash

Just got it firing!
hi all.

I am sure this is on the forum somewhere but I can't find it, Sorry for asking the inevitable.

I want to buy a 2009 Stelvio, the dealer says he doesn't know if the cams issue was ever addressed. It only has 8000 miles on it so it may not have had it done.

I live in the Highlands of Scotland so the Guzzi service history will stop at me ( no dealership within 200 miles).

Simply, how do I find out if the cams have had a kit fitted?

If not will Moto Guzzi give me a kit?

Cheers

So thanks for that. However I have already read this and it doesn't tell me what I want to know.

As stated in my post I have done searches on this forum but not found an answer.

Perhaps my question was vague. I am trying to find out if there is a way, either by inspection or records (perhaps Guzzi keep them), of finding out if the cams on this bike have had a kit fitted.

Thanks

Raggi

It's in that link. The 5 & 6th photo down shows you what you need to see. If you don't see that, then we can't be of help.

It's in that link. The 5 & 6th photo down shows you what you need to see. If you don't see that, then we can't be of help.

Nope, the pictures show me a degraded valve and cam setup with cover removed. As I have no frame of reference I am confused as to which part indicates that a new kit has been fitted.

If the machine has only done 8000 miles there may not be degradation.

Is the kit visually different? Are there marking to look for?

I have not owned a Guzzi so am not 100% sure what I'm looking at or for.

Don't know how else to word my querie, Sad that you don't understand and seem hostile. Why just a "if you can't see it in the pictures your dumb" approach?

Perhaps my question was vague. I am trying to find out if there is a way, either by inspection or records (perhaps Guzzi keep them), of finding out if the cams on this bike have had a kit fitted.

You could ask the dealer to contact the factory. I understand records are kept for those that were modded.

If the dealer will allow it, just whip a valve cover off and see for yourself.

You could ask the dealer to contact the factory. I understand records are kept for those that were modded.

If the dealer will allow it, just whip a valve cover off and see for yourself.

Thanks Dave,

Could you elaborate on what to look for? I know if there is degradation it has not been worked on but how will I know if there is a new kit fitted? Has it got something to identify it, if it is not standard etc?

Cheers

Raggi

There's plenty of discussion here and on other forums about the 8v motor eating cams and followers. I would put it back on the dealer to establish the status of the Stelvio, or just simply walk away. There's too much at stake to get it wrong.

If the dealer wants to sell you the bike they should have no problem taking a few minutes to open it up and inspect it. If they don't know if it has been updated after inspecting it then they have no knowledge of Guzzi engines and should not be trusted. Get them to put it in writing that the upgrade has been performed. As a Moto Guzzi dealer they should be able to get the parts for free and maybe even be compensated for their labour to fix the bike before they sell it.

Thanks Dave,

Could you elaborate on what to look for? I know if there is degradation it has not been worked on but how will I know if there is a new kit fitted? Has it got something to identify it, if it is not standard etc?

Cheers

Raggi
If it has the roller upgrade you will actually be able to see rollers, like in the photo's in the link Todd posted.
There are two photos of the top of the cylinder head with the cover removed. The first shows the whole top of the head, the rockers, the top of the valves where you would adjust them, and at the top of the photo are two round holes with the ends of the rocker arms covering part of the holes. Through the holes you can see two rollers. In the second photo it is a close up of that part of the first photo.
But, your dealer should be able to tell. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to tell the difference between flat tappets and roller tappets. They are visually and physically different.

Back