• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

lubricant specifications

Hi folks. As OP I didn't intend to start a p---ing match. Thanks for all the advice and discussion thus far.
Ambient temperature.. it'll be Celsius but the bike is metric so it should be too much of a stretch.
This morning at 05:30 it was -7. A little cool but not unridable. Usual start time is around 0. In a couple weeks it'll be 5.
Day time running; ambient is often high teens to mid 20's .... we aren't skating.
As for the months in advance???? Now that I know I can't access the stuff in the territory I'll look into shipping flammable goods or maybe drive the 1000km to Fairbanks and buy a case. There's nothing closer.

Now let's ASSUME Android's chart is comparable to the needs of your bike.

You'll notice 20-50 is only recommended down to freezing (0C/32F).

I've seen it "allowable" below that on other brands, though usually a lower grade (like 10W) is recommended in those cases.

Personally, I'd be tempted to go 20-50 if the upper end temps were say above 30C.

If not, I might agree with the 5W, BUT I'd sure look for another alternative that starts with a 10W.

Of course that's just my opinion....ymmv etc.

Kev M.... if it hits 30c I'll be hiding not riding. Way too hot for me.
My wife is headed to a dog-show in Fairbanks on your Memorial day so I'll ask her to bring back proper spec lubricants for all three cases assuming they are available in AK.
What's one more oil change?

Thanks all.

My original question still remains unanswered:

Has anyone here personally experienced engine damage or failure due to using the "wrong" oil in their Moto Guzzi?

If you can answer 'yes' to that then please give us the details. Otherwise...

'Geezer

M0T0Geezer said:
My original question still remains unanswered:

Has anyone here personally experienced engine damage or failure due to using the "wrong" oil in their Moto Guzzi?

If you can answer 'yes' to that then please give us the details. Otherwise...

'Geezer

Your objection masking as a question is meaningless, as a lack of reply proves nothing.

How often do mechanics perform an in-depth forensic analysis when a failure occurs?

I've never had a motor blow up on me PERSONALLY, for any reason, but that doesn't prove motors cannot.

I've rebuilt and replaced more than a few motors in my life mostly due to bearing failures. I didn't perform any forensic oil analysis either, so who knows the reasons.

We HAVE HOWEVER received reports from posters at WG over the years of oil light activation on 20-50 at hot idle on models spec'd for 10-60, so take that for what you want.

And in interest of full disclosure, said examples were 2V big blocks, not smallblocks, so the risks may be less with a smallblock.

But we've also received reports of smallblocks who have inexplicably used their entire oil supply in a few hundred miles and seized their motors.

Once again no forensic explanation was given. Still, that would certainly suggest a potential vulnerability one might want to consider when arbitrarily suggesting a change in spec.

Yukonica,

Can you not purchase what you require for oil from Canada's Motorcycle? I checked their website and found 4L jugs of Motul 7100 10w60. I then placed four of them in a shopping cart and then had shipping estimated to the general delivery mail box in Whitehorse (Postal code Y1A 2B0). Shipping was free. I don't think that volume of oil falls under TDG due to the volume and shouldn't be a problem.

I use Motul as I am unable to locate AGIP oil (10w-60 at least) anywhere in Canada. I have even contacted the Canadian distributor for AGIP and they were no help.

Corsa Meccanica can help you out with parts and ship them right to your door step.

Just a few thoughts and you would probably have everything in a week or two.

Currently it is snowing in Edson Alberta, +4C, the surface temperature of the roads are above freezing and my 10w-60 will do me quite well, I will just have to ensure I get a good 50 km run in to ensure my engine gets good and warm.

If you are really concerned, run what you desire and test your oil every change. That will tell you how your engine health is.

I was up in your neck of the woods last year, the weather was more pleasant for my two weeks up north than the weather was here.

G'day Brett and thanks for all the leads. Have to be honest and tell you I've never heard/used the retailers you mentioned but will be all over it shortly. Hopefully Corsa M has shift levers in hand. This afternoon I found mine had abandoned ship shortly after leaving Braeburn. Fortunately I was already in 5th and headed home. This is the second Italian bike to spit a gear lever on me. I had a Moto Morini that I loved. It dumped the lever about 300km from home so I rigged a pair of ten dollar vice grips: up used a piece of cord and down used a gentle toe. Neither trip home saw much shifting. :lol:
You guys in the south have to let winter go... I like snow too but I'm okay if it doesn't show up again until late September.
If you do come up this way again please give me a heads up... a little local knowledge has its benefits.
Cheers.

Funny story with the vice grips. Yes, I though summer had arrived a few weeks ago for good but the weather is up and down. Your forecast doesn't look much better, except for less moisture than here. I am probably heading up that direction this summer for 4 days with a group but we are only planning on making it as far as Liard Hotsprings, maybe Watson Lake and take a room at the Airforce Lodge.

Funny, but there must be something about the Yukon robbing parts off of italian bikes. Last summer when my wife, daughter, father and myself were up that way, I almost lost my side stand but I was lucky to catch it in time and with a couple of threads remaining on my last bolt. Thank god a local at the A&W pointed us to Ajax Industrial supply, he had the metric bolts I required and the loctite as well. Wonderful people all around. Spent the night at the Sundog retreat, absolutely fantastic stay.

I'll be in touch, we may have to meet up along the way if timing permits.

Not seeking to engage anyone here in particular.

Here is a link about use of ZDDP (Zinc dialyldithiophosphate) additive, which is recommended in "classic" engines, push-rod flat tappet ones in particular:.

http://classiccars.about.com/od/mai...-The-Urban-Legend-This-Motor-Oil-Additive.htm

Presumably such engines include the Guzzi small block 750 and most of their 2V motors.

A new thread over at that "other" place talks about ZDDP and apparently we can thank the EPA and other watchdog guv and env groups for taking it away:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=69359.0

Be careful about using too much ZDDP as that seems to be as bad or worse than using too little.

'Geezer

I, too, have come up against the difficulty of finding oils for the V7 in rural Canada. I'm in NS, by the way.

But I did find out this: Motovan, a large Canadian motorcycle parts distributor, is the ENI distributor for Canada and they list the ENI I-Ride 10w-60 oil. Any motorcycle dealer should be able to order it, but may insist you buy a case of 12 1 litre bottles. KTM dealers should have the Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w-40 available, if there is one of those close by. Moto Guzzi dealers may have the oils, too , of course. I could not locate Motul in 10w-60 in Canada, although it seems to exist elsewhere, as do other brands I could not locate here.

The gear oils: NAPA Valvoline Durablend Gear Oil is available in 80w-90 and 85w-140. Mobilube HD Plus MG is available in 80w-90 and 85w-140. Bel-Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear Oil is available through Motovan dealers anda comes in 80w-90 and 85w-140. Motovan don't list the ENI gear oils we need.

I have no idea whether the ENI oils that MG specifies have additional stuff in them that our bikes absolutely need that there's alternatives don't contain.

Have any Canadians who don't take their bikes to their dealer for service found other supplies or brands?

Zokn, ... rural Canada? ;) I'll trade two of your fall gales for one of my January blizzards... or maybe not.
Appreciate your research though. Glad to hear I am not a soul in the wilderness. We do have a NAPA dealer here but the counter help seemed to be just that: counter-help. I moved on pretty quickly.
I am hoping the various lubricants are available in Alaska. We go there 4 or 5 times a summer.
If not: I am very well stocked in synth oils on any of the grades 'recommended' from the beginning of the thread.
Good fortune to you in finding the nearest oils to spec.
Regards,
Don.

I too live semi-remotely. 3hrs from the nearest decent city. ( +/- a few).

I visited a KTM dealer yesterday who has the proper 10/60 in stock and some Bel-Ray gear oil for the tranny. Apparently KTM uses 10/60 for an OEM looooooooob.

Not to sidetrack the OP, but why does Guzzi ask for a 140w in the rear diff? I come from a BMW background and they, for the most part, use the same trans lube as the rear. I find it odd to go with such a higher weight for this application.

Regards,

Andy

langloisandy said:
Not to sidetrack the OP, but why does Guzzi ask for a 140w in the rear diff? I come from a BMW background and they, for the most part, use the same trans lube as the rear. I find it odd to go with such a higher weight for this application.

Regards,

Andy

Probably because of the size of the case and the capacity. There is quire a bit of heat generated in the rear drive and not that much oil or surface area to disperse that heat, thus the higher viscosity requirement.

I order my fluids through the local Yamaha/Suzuki/Arctic Cat dealer.

Ah, Brett: an Albertan's dry humour. Local Yamaha is stand alone. I had great hopes because the dealer I bought from in BC is a great guy and a Yamaha dealer. Here: not so much. Could have had a chi-ching price on an FZ 09. Gear lever might even still be attached to the bike. Ordering something not already on the shelf? you jest!
Suzuki/Arctic is a local family that has been here thirty plus years. "never heard of that oil weight"... "You sure?" ... "nope, not in the parts list: try Canadian Tire" ... So fk'ng tired of dicks who think that business stops at city limits.
Can anyone suggest a reputible UK dealer who might "might" have access to a 2014 gear shift.
As for lubricants; my hopes are set in Alaska.

Thanks for the lead Android. I'll put it in the info file. Won't be needing that help for the moment.
Phoned my vendor yesterday for a final update before I took the gear lever search into my own hands. He is really stepping up to the level of service I trusted from him. I was told the parts are on their way from the mothership but could take too long so he'll pull the pieces from a new machine in his shop then express them to me.
This isn't a large shop and he'll lose the opportunity to sell that bike until the parts arrive. That, to me, is class service.
Thank you to Gord of ValleyMoto Chilliwack BC. You are as good as your word.

Back