• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My conflict with final drive gear oil

OK..hopefully the last. I just talked to the mechanic at my Dealership. He said that the Piaggio site(of which he gets all his info from) states that a refill is 250cc's.
To avoid confusion, the transmission (in American terms) holds 430cc's.

I will stick with the 250cc's that I removed and replaced.

Ride safe..Love my first Guzzi!

OK - so after 2 years of running the same tires and the same final drive oil. I got around to replacing both this morning and I think I have the definitive answer to the question of oil level (now watch me be wrong !!!). I jacked the bike up on a ATV lift, removed wheel and cosmetic black plastic ring, drained oil into small plastic tub for a few minutes and sucked it all up into a syringe. I measured around 240 cc. There was almost certainly a few cc's left inside so let's call it 250.

Now I measured fresh oil and with fill and level plugs removed, measured (with a syringe) and symphoned in 240cc. Although the wheel was obviously not flat on the ground, as per manual (how the hell do they expect you to do that with wheel removed), I could just see the level of the oil at the bottom of the fill plug. It was not pouring out but it was visible right at the bottom of the plug thread as you look down into it. I squirted a couple of cc's more and could see the level rise slightly up the thread so I guess that's it - 250cc - final answer, no need to phone a friend or ask the audience. By the way, tires were Metzeler ME888's and oil was synthetic 75W90 GL5.

I have managed to overfill the CARC (not for a 1400 obviously) by spinning the rear wheel after a fill. Hell, it looks empty as most of the oil is clinging to the gears. Refill, and do it again.

Obviously, this requires a bit of patience, something I lack.

And it's critical to follow)
GL-4 is not equal to GL-5

Did this again this week to coincide with a new tire. 2nd time around I've found a quick rule of thumb for putting in the right amount of oil without measuring it accurately. Squirt it in under moderate pressure via the top hole and a syringe (trying to seal the hole with syringe nozzle to create pressure in the drive). As oiil goes in, this will force air out of the middle/level hole. When the oil "jumps" out of the middle hole all over your knee your oil is at the bottom of the level filler. Worked for me and a visual check confirmed.

At the risk of starting another oil debate, most opinions here suggest that GL5 is fine for the rear.

At the risk of starting another oil debate, most opinions here suggest that GL5 is fine for the rear.

With all respect for the voice of "most opinions", I feel that I'm not so smart* as engineers from Mandello del Lario
(*) years of organic chemistry in universities and main business BTW .))

Paul, thanks for sharing your experience!
How's the salmon season?

With all respect for the voice of "most opinions", I feel that I'm not so smart* as engineers from Mandello del Lario
(*) years of organic chemistry in universities and main business BTW .))

Paul, thanks for sharing your experience!
How's the salmon season?

I think it's just that some folks more knowledgable than me have stated that while GL5 is not compatible with the brass and copper that was frequently used in some bikes, MG has not used them for many years so they claim it isn't an issue. That plus the fact that Guzzi literature is notoriously out of date (too much copy/paste perhaps from previous manuals). I even read somewhere that the 1400 has hydraulic adjustments of valves (sorry can't recall where that was, other than it was a thread on this site a couple of years back)

Salmon fishing seems good, judging by the boats on the water although I haven't been out myself (except for the jet ski)

Back