• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Need advice! seat height dilemma between V7 and V7II

Daniel Cardona

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hello To All

I'm currently contemplating between buying a V7 or a V7II. the problem's are as follows.
first i noticed that from the first modern V7 up to the current V7III it seems that the seat height's were getting lower. I'm not a very tall guy (31 inch inseam)and the dealer ( Which we have only one) doesn't have and V7's in stock. I'm not in the intent to buy new as here they cost a lot but i'm finding good deals on old V7 and just a bit out of my budget for a good V7ii.

What i'm worried about is that to my eye it seems that these guzzi's have a bit of a wide seat, so with my 31 inch inseam i wont get both my feet on the ground on the older ones but maybe on the version II, but still I'm not sure. I had a look on several review's and the seat height's tend not to agree with each other, i don't also know if the seat height dimensions listed are laden or un-laden. according to the website: cycle-ergo.com I should be ok but how much is accurate I don't really know.

the other factor that is putting me a bit off from a V7 is the lack of ABS, I'm not a new rider but I'm not a pro either, my current bike is a CRF250L which it doesn't have ABS But it's also lighter at 145kg, so it's manageable even with it's current 33 inch seat height, so it's seems i dont have any other choice other that the V7II.

I would like to get advice from you guys and maybe if someone here have my same inseam and currently have a V7 please chime in a tell me your thoughts about it, is the seat really that wide? am i worrying too much? please help.

Kind Regards
Daniel Cardona

I have 2013 racer in about 5' 5" wear 30" pants. I get the palm of my feet on the ground and have no problems. I don't see the need to worry about not having abs or wish I had it. Buy what you like and can afford.

You're worrying too much.

When I bought my V7III Racer, I also sat on the V7II Racer right next to it. Much as the spec says one is an inch taller than the other, I with a 29 inch inseam have absolutely no problem standing over either of them, with my feet flat on the ground, and couldn't tell them apart when I sat on them. Same for the V7III Stone and Anniversario. The seat isn't that wide at all: An AirHawk 11x9 inch "Pillion Pad" cushion fits perfectly on the rider portion of any of these bikes' saddles.

A Honda CRF250L is a dual sport machine with a very narrow seat designed for trail riding. You'd never want such a thing for any road bike, really: road bikes are designed to go much further distances and provide a greater modicum of comfort.

I don't know what the seat width has to do with ABS. ABS braking is a good thing, but honestly I've done almost a million miles of motorcycle riding in my lifetime and the V7III Racer is the only bike I've ever owned with ABS braking. I've never noticed a lack of it in all the years and miles I've been riding. ABS braking is only really an issue when you're braking at and beyond the wheel lockup point, and how often does ANYONE do that on the street on a motorcycle except from being foolish? It took me some effort to figure out how to trigger the ABS just to test it and it works fine, but I'd have to say that I would likely never miss it at all. The V7 brakes, all series, are excellent as they come, and can be enhanced with a better caliper, better master cylinder, and better rotor if you are so inclined.

I have a V7II, I’m 5’6 with a 28” inseam. I can get both feet on the ground (not flat footing) to move the bike if I need to. At stops, I only put one foot down and it’s completley flat footed. You’ll be fine, you don’t need to be able flat foot both feet

You're worrying too much.

[My] V7III Racer is the only bike I've ever owned with ABS braking. I've never noticed a lack of it in all the years and miles I've been riding. ABS braking is only really an issue when you're braking at and beyond the wheel lockup point, and how often does ANYONE do that on the street on a motorcycle except from being foolish? ***

Guilty to "too often" and "being foolish," Your Honor. :giggle:

OK, and more seriously, no matter how prudent one rides, feces happen, at least to me. :eek:

Oh, and OP, I'll measure seat height on my Stornello if you want, but you may already have the info you seek.

Happy Easter from the top of Virginia!

Bill

Guilty to "too often" and "being foolish," Your Honor. :giggle:
OK, and more seriously, no matter how prudent one rides, feces happen, at least to me. :eek: ...

Be careful, Bill: Most of the time, using the brakes so hard actually contributes to a bad situation rather than helps, at least in my experience. Best not to tempt the gods too much, because the gods are malicious, tricksy, and swift to thwart...

Besides, brakes only slow you down. :D

G

Hi to all

What i didn’t sad about my first comment was that once i had a brand new CB500F 2013 model, at that time the ABS was an optional thing costing around €300 more. It was going to be my first big motorcycle after my honda pcx125 scooter. I immediately disliked the looks of the muffler on that bike so i was already thinking to replace it. So in that moment i sad to my self that if i already thinking to spend at least another €500 for an aftermarket exhuast why I’m hesitant to spend the extra cash for the ABS, so ABS it was.

Not even after a full week of ownership i had a really bad sistuation were I immediately jumped on the brakes and i was really lucky not to injure a pedestrian and myself. What happened was that a Van was moving very slowly near a pedestrian crossing lane and i assumed that the driver was just driving very slow, i continued with normal speed and all of a sudden i saw a lady crossing just in front on me, i grabbed the brakes hard, the Abs kicked in and the motorcycle stayed straight up stopping just inches away from her. I was a total noob at that time and maybe a bit foolish too. But i was very great full that i made that decision to get the ABS. After that i think there were 2 more times were the abs saved my ass.

So what is happening to me now is that i really wish to fulfill my dream and finally get one of the motorcycle’s that i always wanted, the guzzi is one of those, i always loved the brand and the V7 is the most approachable, especially the first models, BUT the seat height and lack of ABS are holding me back to pull the trigger, a Breva might also be more cheap to optain but same problem with the lack of ABS BUT i think it has a lower seat height.

My second option was to go for at least the V7 version 2 ( lower seat and ABS as standard) but i’m going to ask a bit too much for my bugdet. The version 3 is out of the question because of course is too expensive for me.

I dont have a dealer that have one i stock as he just orders one for you if only you are putting a deposit, Guzzi’s are not very common here. So not a big chance to at least sit on one and try it out, so basically if i buy one which in my case would be an imported one i am basically buying by instinct and luck.

I was also wondering what excatly the version 3 have different that makes the seat lower, is it just the seat? Something with the frame? Suspension maybe? Or a combination of all?

Decisions decisions!

Hi to all

What i didn’t sad about my first comment was that once i had a brand new CB500F 2013 model, at that time the ABS was an optional thing costing around €300 more. It was going to be my first big motorcycle after my honda pcx125 scooter. I immediately disliked the looks of the muffler on that bike so i was already thinking to replace it. So in that moment i sad to my self that if i already thinking to spend at least another €500 for an aftermarket exhuast why I’m hesitant to spend the extra cash for the ABS, so ABS it was.

Not even after a full week of ownership i had a really bad sistuation were I immediately jumped on the brakes and i was really lucky not to injure a pedestrian and myself. What happened was that a Van was moving very slowly near a pedestrian crossing lane and i assumed that the driver was just driving very slow, i continued with normal speed and all of a sudden i saw a lady crossing just in front on me, i grabbed the brakes hard, the Abs kicked in and the motorcycle stayed straight up stopping just inches away from her. I was a total noob at that time and maybe a bit foolish too. But i was very great full that i made that decision to get the ABS. After that i think there were 2 more times were the abs saved my ass.

So what is happening to me now is that i really wish to fulfill my dream and finally get one of the motorcycle’s that i always wanted, the guzzi is one of those, i always loved the brand and the V7 is the most approachable, especially the first models, BUT the seat height and lack of ABS are holding me back to pull the trigger, a Breva might also be more cheap to optain but same problem with the lack of ABS BUT i think it has a lower seat height.

My second option was to go for at least the V7 version 2 ( lower seat and ABS as standard) but i’m going to ask a bit too much for my bugdet. The version 3 is out of the question because of course is too expensive for me.

I dont have a dealer that have one i stock as he just orders one for you if only you are putting a deposit, Guzzi’s are not very common here. So not a big chance to at least sit on one and try it out, so basically if i buy one which in my case would be an imported one i am basically buying by instinct and luck.

I was also wondering what excatly the version 3 have different that makes the seat lower, is it just the seat? Something with the frame? Suspension maybe? Or a combination of all?

Decisions decisions!
Just wondering when you got your motorcycle licence did you take any sort of riding course to get it?

Just wondering when you got your motorcycle licence did you take any sort of riding course to get it?

At the time when i had the CB i was with the A2 license, now i have my full licence. I think i started riding in the 2011 if i remember correctly.

The V7 III version has shorter shocks and changes to frame geometry that may affect seat height. The seats are the same for the past few years, judging by the part numbers listed in MG accessory catalog. I am 5'6" tall with 29" inseam and my Special allows me to have both feet planted securely on flat ground. MG offers a lower seat, and you could always have a local upholsterer modify to fit you.

The V7 III version has shorter shocks and changes to frame geometry that may affect seat height. The seats are the same for the past few years, judging by the part numbers listed in MG accessory catalog. I am 5'6" tall with 29" inseam and my Special allows me to have both feet planted securely on flat ground. MG offers a lower seat, and you could always have a local upholsterer modify to fit you.

You have the version 3? Do you know maybe if the shocks of a version 3 can be installed on the prevoius models?

Thanks for your comment.

You have the version 3? Do you know maybe if the shocks of a version 3 can be installed on the prevoius models?

Thanks for your comment.

The V7III rear suspension units cannot be retrofitted to the V7/V7II models. The suspension mounting points are different, and it would throw off the geometry of the swing arm and shaft drive.

I don't know if it means anything but I have the lowered gel seat and it helped me go from almost flat foot to perfectly flat foot. The gel is also really comfortable. I like it a lot, I just wish it was a diamond stitch or something cool looking - not bad looking, just not a step up from the original when you are going to a different seat.

here me sitting with 29.5" inseam, I am going to say you are worrying too much.

you do not need to have both legs FLAT on the ground...I am usually tippy toe or just simply slide butt to one side to flat one.

out of all Guzzi, the only bike I can't quite handle is the stelvio NTX which is around 32" height but it is more so its weight otherwise sliding butt still works here.

This is me last year with both feet on the ground with bike straight...no issue here.

Attachments

• Photo 2017-09-10, 7 19 05 PM.jpg
    Photo 2017-09-10, 7 19 05 PM.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 19
I don't know if it means anything but I have the lowered gel seat and it helped me go from almost flat foot to perfectly flat foot. The gel is also really comfortable. I like it a lot, I just wish it was a diamond stitch or something cool looking - not bad looking, just not a step up from the original when you are going to a different seat.

What’s your inseam?

here me sitting with 29.5" inseam, I am going to say you are worrying too much.

you do not need to have both legs FLAT on the ground...I am usually tippy toe or just simply slide butt to one side to flat one.

out of all Guzzi, the only bike I can't quite handle is the stelvio NTX which is around 32" height but it is more so its weight otherwise sliding butt still works here.

This is me last year with both feet on the ground with bike straight...no issue here.

Thanks Timmy for photo, it helps to get a good perspective. I’m also astonished by how much ground clearance there is underneath the engine, i think its even more than my CRF250L. I like that small screen and the beautiful red colour your bike is really sweet, i thinks yours is also the early stone models so its not a version 2.

Yes you might be right that you dont always need to fully flat foot both legs, in fact on my CRF i never flat footed but consider also that its a 145kg wet. So its fairly more light than the V7 even if i might not flat foot the V7 on a nice flat road i wont have such a big problem but in my country the roads can become very unpredictable, lol even when i had my cb500f which i could fully flat foot it i also managed to drop it.

As i sad before, according to cycle-ergo website i am able to flat foot even the early v7 models but i’m not fully sure because i never sit on one. The closest that i tried is a 2017 triumph scrambler which has a 31.1 seat height.

One guy was very kind enough to let me sit on his bike to try the seat height, ha also had indtalled a bench seat on his triumph so actually the seat was a bit higher, but i was flat footing with a slight bend on my legs.

If i only knew someone that has a v7 which i could try life would be much easier.

What’s your inseam?

Sorry forgot to add that. I wear a 29 length in jeans, I don't know what that necessarily means for inseam. I'm 5'9" with stubby legs closer to gorilla proportions. haha.

The big thing with the V7's is how wide the seat is. that always surprises me. I would be able to flat foot the regular seat (I think) if it was just a tad narrower.

you gotta quit reading specs!
I have 29" inseam and on my 2015 I have an inch thick gel pad on top of the seat to get my old worn out hip in the needed alignment. Height is no problem on it or the 2017 I also own. You will be fine.
my cousin is a new rider with a 27" inseam and he has no trouble with the V7 either.

Back