• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Handlebars... how to remove ends?

sohcfour

Tuned and Synch'ed
All -

I decided I needed a slightly narrower bar and picked up a Rizoma Conical as others have discussed here. I understand the mocking up, the drilling for controls, making sure there is clearance to the tank etc...

What I don't get (and haven't read) is how to I get the hex ends off of the stock 8V bar? The weights came off fine with an allen wrench, but how do I get the grips off past this hex end? Other posts have acknowledged it, but none I read mentioned how to address it.

I imagine I could hack saw it off, but I want to keep this bar in case I want/need to go back...

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

They are just basically a bolt that screws in to the end of the bar.
Just get the correct size spanner and undo them as you would any normal bolt.
Mine came out easily but I have heard of people saying that they can be a bit tight.
Give us a picture of the new bars when you have finished.
Mark

Mark & Matt
Same with mine came off easy as pie as I wanted to fit undergrip heaters I purchased (Symtech But get the bike type not the ATV) from the states and some Storm hand shields.
The shields fitted up OK but the kit is not able to hide the Hex insert so am on the lookout for a smaller hex which may be a Duc or BM part.
The heaters are also ok but a lot of stuffing around on the throttle side due to the complex grip to throttle indentations and interlocks. The heater is too hot on throttle side due to the thin wall of grip on this side and the insulating effect of the throttle tube. Had to remove a fair bit of the throttle tube bumps and ridges so the element could lie flat.
Heat from the clutch side is comfortable but never too hot even though I shrunk some heavy 1"shrink fit on first for insulation. I used the now infamous YELLOW wire from the start circuit relay as the power source as it was already switched and added a 5 amp mini blade fuse to it.
Did a test ride early next morning, it was 7 degC when I left home and didn't get to 10C for another hour and a half. Should have worn more clothes but my hands were fine! :) :)
Spanner is a 7/8 or 22mm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I gave mine a pretty good torquing before coming in the house to put up this post. Knowing that they are intended to unscrew, I'll try a bit harder.

I'll let you know if it works after work this evening.

You guys are correct... With a bit more confidence, I was able to unscrew the bar end plugs with little issue. Just one of those things that if I don't know, I try to stop before I do damage!

The Rizoma Conical bar goes on tonight. Then I'll have to think about one of their slick mirrors.

sohcfour said:
You guys are correct... With a bit more confidence, I was able to unscrew the bar end plugs with little issue. Just one of those things that if I don't know, I try to stop before I do damage!

The Rizoma Conical bar goes on tonight. Then I'll have to think about one of their slick mirrors.

So, a few questions;

1. did you get the conical bar mounted?
2. how do you like it?
3. what is the differnece between the stock 1100 and 1200 Griso bars (if any).

I have an 1100 and am considering a narrower bar as well.

I can finally close the loop on this one. I got the bar installed a week ago but the weather has been to lousy to ride. I rode to work today and have some initial impressions of the bar.

It went on fine. I pulled out the locating pins on the switches and used tape for added clamping force. Glad I did as I have made some adjustments for ergo that would have been impossible if drilling. One pin was quite tough to remove however.

Moving all the handlebar mounted components inboard made the mirrors less useful, showing a lot of elbow. I ended up buying Rizoma bar ends and one of their bar end mirrors that clamps to them. Really nice hardware!

Im pretty happy with the bar. Steering takes a bit more effort which isn't an issue. I wanted more pullback than stock, and the Comical didn't have as much as I was expecting based on its specs. Its still better than stock however. I admit I like the appearance of the Rizoma components over the chrome ends and plastic mirrors.

Matt

Back