• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Davetac1

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Good afternoon gentlemen /ladies.I am new here and have been considering the purchase of a new California 1400 Tourer,but have a few questions I would like to ask first, once I find my way around on here.I live in Massachusetts and have been mounted on two wheels for the past 53 consecutive years.[I'm kinda new to this motorcycling stuff.lol] I've traveled close to,if not more then,1,000,000 miles over that period of time and am still goin.I am currently riding a Triumph Thunderbird SE,bought new in July of 2010,and now have alittle over 85,000 miles on her.So Hello everyone!! Dave!!!

Dave, welcome to the GT fold. I have similar stats, but I've only been street riding for 29 years. There's a California 1400 section you'll find here, so I'd start perusing posts there.
I bought my '00 Guzzi Jackal from North River Motors in Salem in Sept. '99 - it now has well over 165k miles on it. It'll never leave my garage.

Thank you sir for the welcome.The last machine I owned,also bought new in 99,was a Yamaha RSV,[Royal Star Venture] which was, and still is,the finest machine I have ever owned or driven to date.The reason I sold it was because it was getting alittle too heavy for me [869 lbs. curb] plus accessories,which brought it up to 900 lbs.,so either the bike was getting heavier,or I was getting older [had to be the bike,lol] so I sold it and bought something a little lighter.However,it had 200,000 trouble free miles on it when I sold it and it's STILL going today.And the only guy that ever touched it for service and or repair was me.Ya see,mechanical engineering[mechanic] was,and still is, my trade. Dave!!!

Dave this is Joe from Rehoboth, MA we have talked on that Triumph Thunderbird site. I am also new to this site and have traded in my 2010 Triumph Thunderbird SE 1600 for a 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge with 9,000 miles on her. I haven't picked up the bike yet due to they are getting it ready "what ever that means" at National Power Sports in NH. If you go on Nationals website the bike is still on but states under deposit. Can't wait and funny running into you again. We must have the same taste in bikes ha ha

Good to hear from ya Joe.I hadn't seen ya posting much on the Tbird site and was a little surprised to see ya posting on here.Since my Bird is now pushing 87,000 miles,but runnin better then it ever has,it's also approaching the century mark.So I decided to go shopping to see what else was out there and if I'd be interested in a Guzzi.What brought me to this site was the shaft drive that Guzzi uses on their machines.The last 5 machines I owned were ALL SHAFT DRIVE and since owning the Tbird,[belt drive]I have come to dislike it as I'm sure you know,lol, and will NOT buy another machine with belt drive,no matter who makes it.The reason the belt drive is used is because it's the CHEAPEST way of connecting the transmission to the back wheel and other then that, I see NO other advantage to using it.The Guzzi got my attention because it uses a shaft drive. I test drove three of em and wouldn't give ya 10 bucks for all three because none of em ran worth a dam and the STEALERSHIP where I road tested em,didn't know jack sh** about em and tried to tell me that they ALL run like that.Well I don't think so,and ended up on here to learn as much as I could before making any decisions.And even though everyone on here is quite happy with the Moto Guzzi's ,I'm still not convinced that I want one but am keeping an open mind as I read to learn more and more about em.And should I invest in one,in a year or two,like with the Triumph,I'll be able to tell ya everything about it.But right now,any decisions are still up in the air.Anyways,stay in touch as I'll be interested in your likes or dislikes of your new ride.

BTW Joe!! That place you bought it from in N.H. wouldn't be located in Pembrooke ,off Rte. 106,would it???If so,every machine there was traded in at some dealership and then wholesaled to them because no one wanted to deal with em and ,from what I understand,they don't do anything to em other then resell em at retail prices,and I believe there's no warantee with em.In other words,you buy it,and you own it.There's another place just like it in Bow N.H. which I also have been at to look at a bike with a friend of mine. Dave!!!

Last edited:
Good to hear from ya Joe.I hadn't seen ya posting much on the Tbird site and was a little surprised to see ya posting on here.Since my Bird is now pushing 87,000 miles,but runnin better then it ever has,it's also approaching the century mark.So I decided to go shopping to see what else was out there and if I'd be interested in a Guzzi.What brought me to this site was the shaft drive that Guzzi uses on their machines.The last 5 machines I owned were ALL SHAFT DRIVE and since owning the Tbird,[belt drive]I have come to dislike it as I'm sure you know,lol, and will NOT buy another machine with belt drive,no matter who makes it.The reason the belt drive is used is because it's the CHEAPEST way of connecting the transmission to the back wheel and other then that, I see NO other advantage to using it.The Guzzi got my attention because it uses a shaft drive. I test drove three of em and wouldn't give ya 10 bucks for all three because none of em ran worth a dam and the STEALERSHIP where I road tested em,didn't know jack sh** about em and tried to tell me that they ALL run like that.Well I don't think so,and ended up on here to learn as much as I could before making any decisions.And even though everyone on here is quite happy with the Moto Guzzi's ,I'm still not convinced that I want one but am keeping an open mind as I read to learn more and more about em.And should I invest in one,in a year or two,like with the Triumph,I'll be able to tell ya everything about it.But right now,any decisions are still up in the air.Anyways,stay in touch as I'll be interested in your likes or dislikes of your new ride.

BTW Joe!! That place you bought it from in N.H. wouldn't be located in Pembrooke ,off Rte. 106,would it???If so,every machine there was traded in at some dealership and then wholesaled to them because no one wanted to deal with em and ,from what I understand,they don't do anything to em other then resell em at retail prices,and I believe there's no warantee with em.In other words,you buy it,and you own it.There's another place just like it in Bow N.H. which I also have been at to look at a bike with a friend of mine. Dave!!!

Yes that is the place in Pembroke and I have been to that location once before and almost purchased a Thunderbird Storm but didn't like the sound of the engine. I don't like the sound of my Thunderbird engine and have tried the oil that you have recommended but I get the same sounds. Everyone tells me to wear a helmet that covers your ears and all problems go away, ha ha. I haven't picked the bike up yet due to the bike is not ready? They said they would call me by the end of the day on Friday and give me my update. Well no call yet and it is Saturday. I am having surgery on Thursday and won't be able to ride for a couple of weeks so if the bike is not ready before then, the deal may be dead. I rode one Norge and the first thing I saw when I walked up to the bike is the saddle bags were on the wrong sides. You could just lift the bag off the bike which both would have fallen off if I didn't put them on correctly. Then start the bike, well battery dead. Back in the shop for a charge and got her running but not great. I liked the bike but that one had too many things wrong with it for the price they were asking. I am also like you and do all my own work so I hope this one is better. The sales person tells me you can't tell the bike from new. We shall sell if they ever get it ready. The last email I got is they have ordered new fuel injectors for it so it does sound like a engine running problem. http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=14421 This is the link to the bike

How could the bags be on the wrong side,they wouldn't even stay on the bike???
Yes they were just pushed into the top bracket and waiting for you to move the bike. I could tell because the angle was way too much on the bags.

All I can tell ya Joe is BEWARE! There's a reason 90% of these traded machines end up at these wholesale ware houses and then,no one there knows what they're lookin at just like TOO MANY of the dealerships that sell em new.Hence they'll never fix it right,if they can fix em at all,but sell em to someone "FOR RETAIL" and hope they last beyond what ever warantee,if any, they give ya.Do ya remember my post on the Tbird site about the dealership I bought my Bird from,BRAND NEW?? I warned him before hand ,that I was gonna go thru it when I got it home,but it fell on deaf ears,until the next morning when I was waiting for him at his door,then reemed him a new ***hole,because they didn't do nothing to it except start it and send it out the door.Do ya remember that post??? Well these guys are even worse.So I would suggest before you accept it when ya pick it up, ride it "FIRST" to make sure it meets your approval.Otherwise,you're NOT gonna be a happy camper and wanna put a contract out on these people.lol And don't laugh, I can't tell ya how many guys I've spoken with that were really "UPSET"to put it mildly, with people like these, and wanted to kill em.lol lol So be advised.I wish you luck. Dave!!!

Thanks Dave I checked them on BBB and only 1 complaint in the last 3 years wow that is excellent. They got the injectors today and are installing them on Monday. My triumph has been making more engine noise the last couple of weeks. I changed the oil and filter 2,500 miles ago with Castro 10w 50w full syn. Well today I pulled that oil out and put in moble 1 T4 10w 40w and 90% of the bad sounds are gone. 2,500 miles and the oil had turned into water. 32,000 miles on the triumph and they gave me 6,000 for her. They just posted another moto on the website I think it is a California ???? Hate two see my triumph go but I change my bike out every two years because I ride too much and once you hit 40,000 miles nobody wants it.

Believe it or not,they gave you the fair market trade in value the your Bird.Last year when I first looked at the California Tourer [2013 model,$18,500] the stealer offered me a warping 2800 for mine on a trade.Mine had just under 70,000 at the time.Fair market value was 9,000 and trade in value was alittle over 7000.Now had any one of the three machines I road tested run like they were supposed to run and impressed me,I might have been tempted to make a deal.But the truth of the matter is,mine ran waaaaaaaay better then theirs' did,so naturally,I passed.Hence the reason I'm here to learn. Dave!!!

Good morning gentlemen!! And as you can see,I'm still around and still considering a new 1400 Tourer.My Tbird is now pushing 111,000 trouble free miles,and runnin better then it ever has,so there's NO RUSH.And other then the dealership in Derry N.H.,there are supposed to be several other dealerships spread out around this area,but every time I've gone to one lookin for a new California Tourer,including Derry N.H.,they don't have any in stock,claiming Guzzi is not releasing any of the newer models yet.However,a dealer in Gil Ma.,that I was chatting with last fall,told me that,due to the "LACK OF TRAINING" some of the dealers techs have here in the North Eastern part of the country ,Moto Guzzi,which now also has a factory in LA,Ca.,will NOT release any new machines to them UNTIL they send atleast one tech ,from each dealership,to their training school to learn how to set em up.[I guess Moto Guzzi has received quite a few complaints from new Guzzi owners,who were less then happy with the service from these dealers.]And as you guys probably know,Guzzi's network is NOT very big and or far and few between MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO GET EM SERVICED.Myself,I do all my own work.So all I need is a shop manual to use as a guide and I'm good to go.So we shall see!! Dave!!!

Hi Dave, and welcome! I too am a former Yamaha Venture (2001) owner and also a former Tour Deluxe (2005) owner. I also know that the Venture was the best touring bike I have owned. The Tour Deluxe was a close second.

So, why now do I own a 2014 MG California??? I have asked myself that question several times. The answer seems to be that I like the difference and it is for sure different. I have come to appreciate the relative simplicity of the air cooling and dry clutch. And, my California is very comfortable, quiet and fun to ride.

Yes, there are some designed in problems. Namely, a poor design on the exhaust system. (It WILL break from use.) And other things such as the need to remove the rear wheel in order to change the rear gear oil. (Although, I took a tip I learned here and left the cosmetic plastic cover off the last time I had the rear wheel off. This permits access to the drain plug without removing the rear wheel!) Yes, dealers are few and far between. And even at that, there seem to be a fair share of those who don't know much about the bikes they sell. But, those few who DO know about these bikes are passionate about them and that is something truly appreciated by a relative newcomer like myself.

Get a ride on the California when you can. I am interested in reading what you think!

A couple years ago,I did ,infact, test drive two California 1400''s, both were Customs and not the Tourers,which are basically the same machine minus a few amenities, and both of these machines did NOT run worth a DAM as both surged and bucked when attempting to maintain a steady speed,no matter how fast or slow it was,or what gear the machine was in.When I brought the machine back to the dealer after the road test,I questioned him about it and was told that "THEY ALL DO THAT" which was totally unacceptable,hence the reason I did NOT buy one then,and am still unsure if I really want one NOW.But I'm atleast, willing to try " ONE MORE TIME" !! However,if the next machine runs like the two I test drove,then that will be it for Moto Guzzi and I will look else wheres.Ya see,I want one more new machine before I croak cause I'm NOT getting any younger!!!

And yes,my 99 RSV was also the finest machine I have ever owned OR driven,[200,000 miles] hence makes it even more difficult for comparison to other machines.But atleast my Tbird does NOT run anything like the two Guzzi's I test drove did and that's with almost 111,000 miles showin on the clock.Of course,I never let the dealer touch it either cause I knew dam right well,they wouldn't do the job like I'll do it.

And since I do all my own work [if ya want it done right,ya do it yourself,"IF YOU CAN" ] that's more then likely the reason why ALL my machines do run as well as they did.But that's me and not the average guy/gal who can NOT do his or her own work and or maintenance.

So the bottom line is,if the next Guzzi I road test runs well,I'll probably own one.If not,I'll be lookin else wheres and that'll be it regarding the Guzzi. But I thank you for your confidence in me sir and will report back "IF" I can find a dealer close enough who will actually allow me to road test one!!! Dave!!!

A couple years ago,I did ,in fact, test drive two California 1400''s, both were Customs and not the Tourers,which are basically the same machine minus a few amenities, and both of these machines did NOT run worth a DAM as both surged and bucked when attempting to maintain a steady speed,no matter how fast or slow it was,or what gear the machine was in.

That was not my experience when getting a demo ride in late 2014 on a California Touring. It took me a little while to get used to the clutch feel (dry vs. wet which I was more used to) but otherwise the performance was very good. In your experience it is possible that the dealer was not representing their bikes very well.

That's exactly what I was thinking!! Not to mention,what kind of service would I get from this dealer IF I bought one of these machines from them.The name of the game is money,meaning,how much can they make while doing nothing for it,follow me???And there are quite a few of these dealers around.The trick is to identify em BEFORE ya do business with em.

Hi Dave, and welcome! I too am a former Yamaha Venture (2001) owner and also a former Tour Deluxe (2005) owner. I also know that the Venture was the best touring bike I have owned. The Tour Deluxe was a close second.

So, why now do I own a 2014 MG California??? I have asked myself that question several times. The answer seems to be that I like the difference and it is for sure different. I have come to appreciate the relative simplicity of the air cooling and dry clutch. And, my California is very comfortable, quiet and fun to ride.

Yes, there are some designed in problems. Namely, a poor design on the exhaust system. (It WILL break from use.) And other things such as the need to remove the rear wheel in order to change the rear gear oil. (Although, I took a tip I learned here and left the cosmetic plastic cover off the last time I had the rear wheel off. This permits access to the drain plug without removing the rear wheel!) Yes, dealers are few and far between. And even at that, there seem to be a fair share of those who don't know much about the bikes they sell. But, those few who DO know about these bikes are passionate about them and that is something truly appreciated by a relative newcomer like myself.

Get a ride on the California when you can. I am interested in reading what you think!

Since you previously owned an RSV,were you ever on a website called the Venturers,aka,VNet??? If so,did you ever hear of a guy on there named Dave who was part of their technical advisory group???

Back