• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Nikasil cylinders

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hello there.
It's been some time since I posted here. I was getting ready to install nikasil cylinders on my 850 T and was thinking if I should lubricate the them as I have not read anything about about the subject. If I should lubricate them what should I use.
Thanks.

I don't when I put them in with new rings. Hard enough to get the rings to seat. The cylinder won't be without oil for very long. If you want to put a light coat of engine oil in the piston skirt that wouldn't hurt.

You can use your finger dipped in fresh motor oil and spread it around the cylinder wall. The scraper ring will remove the excess in the first stroke of the piston.

Like John said, you could put it in dry because within a second, the cylinder wall will have oil splashed and/or sprayed on it.

At the risk of straying off topic, do all Moto Guzzis have Nikasil plated cylinders?

Jason

Some models from '67 to '75 had chrome bores which flake. The replacement is Nikasil.
Ok, so I assume then that all the "current" Guzzis, say 2000 onward, have Nikasil. Is this correct?

What about when buying a big-bore kit; are the cylinders Nikasil plated, too?

Jason

Ok, so I assume then that all the "current" Guzzis, say 2000 onward, have Nikasil. Is this correct?

What about when buying a big-bore kit; are the cylinders Nikasil plated, too?

Jason
No again. Nikasil bores is the fix for bikes with chrome bores.
***Correction new ones have Nigusil bores.***

Last edited:
No again. Nikasil bores is the fix for bikes with chrome bores.
Let me rephrase my question: If I buy a brand new Guzzi today, what plating, if any, would be on the cylinder bores?

Jason

Ah, got it, I think.

So the cylinder bores must be cast iron sleeves that are press-fit into the aluminum cylinders on the newer Guzzis. Further I assume they can be bored and honed with a typical boring bar and hone.

Jason

All Guzzis since about '81 have had Nikasil bores, including the new ones. Iron liners haven't been used since the round-fin big-blocks in '80. Big-bore kits available today are Nikasil as well, except for those from Cycle Garden which have iron liners.

All Guzzis since about '81 have had Nikasil bores, including the new ones. Iron liners haven't been used since the round-fin big-blocks in '80. Big-bore kits available today are Nikasil as well, except for those from Cycle Garden which have iron liners.

Close...

Moto Guzzi's technically use, Nigusil which they invented by the way! :)

Bet most people didn't know that little fact!

Nigusil is a patented metal alloy created by Moto Guzzi for motorcycle cylinder liners. The name is an acronym for Nickel-Guzzi-Silicon.

Close...

Moto Guzzi's technically use, Nigusil which they invented by the way! :)

Bet most people didn't know that little fact!

Nigusil is a patented metal alloy created by Moto Guzzi for motorcycle cylinder liners. The name is an acronym for Nickel-Guzzi-Silicon.
Ok, I never dreamed that my query would generate so many diverging responses.

So my 2010 V7 has Nigusil cylinder bores and any new Guzzi has Nigusil bores as well and not cast iron liners as I was previously led to believe.

Jason

Correct.

Not all Moto Guzzi motorcycle have Nigusil. The early ones were chrome coated or had cast iron liners.

However, since Nigusil was invented, Moto Guzzi has used this process on everything that I am aware of.

Last edited:
Nikasil/Nigusil. Virtually the same process.

"Chrome coated cast iron liners"? Never heard of that. The V700, Ambassador (V7 Special), Eldorado (850GT), V7 Sport, 750S, 750 S3, 850-T, 850-T3 and the earliest V50s had chrome plating applied directly to the alloy cylinder casting. The 850 Le Mans, Convert, G5, CX100 and 1000SP had iron liners (without any sort of plating) until Nigusil was started around '80.

Nikasil/Nigusil. Virtually the same process.

"Chrome coated cast iron liners"? Never heard of that. The V700, Ambassador (V7 Special), Eldorado (850GT), V7 Sport, 750S, 750 S3, 850-T, 850-T3 and the earliest V50s had chrome plating applied directly to the alloy cylinder casting. The 850 Le Mans, Convert, G5, CX100 and 1000SP had iron liners (without any sort of plating) until Nigusil was started around '80.

Whoops!

My bad. That's because the words "or had" didn't get in there by mistake. Apologies.

Regarding Nigusil & Nikasil - I'm pretty sure that it was not "Virtually the same process" as Moto Guzzi was issued a patent and Mahle from 1967 never was. Patents are not normally issued when there is the same thing already existing...but you could be right!

Nevertheless, it doesn't really matter in terms of the original question which was "Are all Moto Guzzi motorcycle Nigusil cylinders?", which as I said earlier, the answer is "No". 👌 👍 :)

Last edited:
A motorcycle you didn't get in the US , the Le Mans 2 came with nigusil cylinders . I still have
them on one of my Guzzi's . Correct me if I'm wrong , but the Le Mans 2 model ran from 78 'til 80 .
Peter

Back