• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge & broken oil-pump

No matter what kind of vehicle you're riding or driving all an oil pressure light tells you is that you have just trashed your engine. Gauges provide very useful information and one can watch trends. I would like to install both oil temp and pressure gauges as my warranty is out in 2 months. Any info on pick-up points would be helpful. I would install either an electric or direct pressure gauge.

phordman.........GF @ MI says the only realistic oil spigots are the existing OEM switch location and a banjo connector
near the alternator. I'm going to research some sending units and see if space between the tank & OEM spigot is
sufficient to use a splitter for the aftermarket sensor. As far as temp goes, perhaps one of those temp dipsticks would work.

BB

You want oil temperature or cylinder/head temperature? I know someone who fitted sensors on the latter, to try get a finger behind his (big) pinging problem, and I suppose I could get details from him how he fitted the sensors.

Below's the 1st spread from the french version of the article. The french version talks about slightly less than 45k km, not 50k. The pump that broke was of the trochoidal type, so if I understand Pete's remark above correctly, this potentially affects all newer 1200cc 2V blocks, not the pre-2007 ones (?).

Apart from the oil pump, some harsh words about the bolt holding the gearbox's sump, which apparently was rusted in the block. Oil consumption (just a bit too much to span revision intervals without topping up) due to insufficient sealing of the cylinder heads, so they suggest getting the engine nicely warm before being to heavy on the throttle.
And a bent centre stand at 17k km, exchanged under warranty ... wonder if I could try to get mine changed for free after all (I'm amazed it's only about 82€, though, was expecting much more!)

RJVB wrote:
Below's the 1st spread from the french version of the article. The french version talks about slightly less than 45k km, not 50k. The pump that broke was of the trochoidal type, so if I understand Pete's remark above correctly, this potentially affects all newer 1200cc 2V blocks, not the pre-2007 ones (?).

Apart from the oil pump, some harsh words about the bolt holding the gearbox's sump, which apparently was rusted in the block. Oil consumption (just a bit too much to span revision intervals without topping up) due to insufficient sealing of the cylinder heads, so they suggest getting the engine nicely warm before being to heavy on the throttle.
And a bent centre stand at 17k km, exchanged under warranty ... wonder if I could try to get mine changed for free after all (I'm amazed it's only about 82€, though, was expecting much more!)

I got to wonder what kind of treatment this bike got ???
I have used not one drop of oil, nada, zip,nil. Rusted gearbox drain bolt ??? WTF they take a salt water bath with it ?????

It wasn't the drain bolt. It's the bolt and fixes the lower part of the engine to the frame, and that goes through special (quote) 'orifices' in the gearbox sump. According to the authors, Guzzi has some nice warnings on a decal next to the bolt, but doesn't heed them themselves.

As to the bike's treatment: long-haul trips, including one from Brussels to Sardegna under a continuous downpour. There's pic on another page that shows her under a nice layer of snow. I have no idea how exposed the area in question is, maybe road salt got in there?

Brutto Bestia wrote:
phordman.........GF @ MI says the only realistic oil spigots are the existing OEM switch location and a banjo connector
near the alternator. I'm going to research some sending units and see if space between the tank & OEM spigot is
sufficient to use a splitter for the aftermarket sensor. As far as temp goes, perhaps one of those temp dipsticks would work.

BB

Brutto: If you find the info on the splitter I would sure like to know about it. Given the occasional problems with oil pumps that is my priority. Oil temperature on air cooled aircraft engines is typically picked up at the inlet to the cooler and I think that could be done with some creative plumbing on the cooler inlet hose. Stevens Woodburn, of WV, has installed head temp gauges on his Norge and if I decide to go that route he has the info. He had pinging problems so installed the head temps to get a handle on the problem. To my knowledge I've never had any pinging problems. Course I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other. That coupled with an open exhaust I doubt I'd ever know if it was spark knocking. The good news is that if I should have a pump failure I'm sure Bill Hagan would lend me a bike from his vast stable until mine is repaired. Thanks in advance Bill.

phordman wrote:
Brutto Bestia wrote:

BB

Brutto: If you find the info on the splitter I would sure like to know about it. Given the occasional problems with oil pumps that is my priority. Oil temperature on air cooled aircraft engines is typically picked up at the inlet to the cooler and I think that could be done with some creative plumbing on the cooler inlet hose. Stevens Woodburn, of WV, has installed head temp gauges on his Norge and if I decide to go that route he has the info. He had pinging problems so installed the head temps to get a handle on the problem. To my knowledge I've never had any pinging problems. Course I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other. That coupled with an open exhaust I doubt I'd ever know if it was spark knocking. The good news is that if I should have a pump failure I'm sure Bill Hagan would lend me a bike from his vast stable until mine is repaired. Thanks in advance Bill.

I had head temperature gauges on my T5

VDO Gauge

installation is a simple washer sending unit goes between the spark plug hole and the spark plug.

http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-130.pdf

Help me diagnose an intermitant coil failure on one side.

phordman wrote:

The good news is that if I should have a pump failure I'm sure Bill Hagan would lend me a bike from his vast stable until mine is repaired. Thanks in advance Bill.[/quote]

Actually, I happen to have, in addition to my satisfactory (but hardly vast!) stable of Norge and EV just now, another red Norge. Jay Hines is having his driveway torn up and is storing his here for a bit. Kinda confusing, actually, in the a.m. :p

IMGP0850.jpg

BTW, the Norge is running great; glad the o/p adventure is in the past. Nada a flicker from the red light(s), etc.

Back