• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Numbness in the hands

Uss

Tuned and Synch'ed
The last couple of times I have been on longish rides of more than an hour and both times my hands and palms started to go numb. It started with discomfort and ended up with the palms going to sleep/numb. I can take the left hand off the grip and it becomes ok after a few minutes but can't really relieve the right hand. There is cruise control but I am not comfortable with it as yet and that is not the solution.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Is it in the seat, riding position or handle bar distance etc. My height is 5' 8" if that is of help. Please share some thoughts and solutions....thank you

Cheers

I have the same problem on my v7. If I lean or sit different it helps. I think I did to much physical labor and I'm starting to pay for it.

What sort of grips do you have? Maybe you need extra padding like 'pussy grips'. Not have a go, that's what there called. :D

Perhaps you are holding the grips too tight, or you are placing too much weight on your hands. Try relaxing your grip, and shifting your weight. If it continues, bar backs of some sort may help if it is caused by having to reach too far for the bars.

It has the original grips I have ordered heated OEM grips from MG.

I will try and hold it them a bit lighter and shift positions. Is there a way to reduce the reach on the Calis/Eldorados?

The last couple of times I have been on longish rides of more than an hour and both times my hands and palms started to go numb. It started with discomfort and ended up with the palms going to sleep/numb. I can take the left hand off the grip and it becomes ok after a few minutes but can't really relieve the right hand. There is cruise control but I am not comfortable with it as yet and that is not the solution.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Is it in the seat, riding position or handle bar distance etc. My height is 5' 8" if that is of help. Please share some thoughts and solutions....thank you

Cheers

Okay, you asked:
  1. Possibly the start of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (look it up)
  2. Gripping too hard
  3. Grip diameter too small for your hands
  4. Leaning forward, thereby placing too much weight on your hands
  5. Vibrations from handlebars
I have two of the above problems (#1 & #3). For #3 my solution has been to use "Grip Puppies" ( https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-Grip-Cover-1-25in/dp/B000WJAH5M ). I use them on every bike I have owned for the past twenty years. Wouldn't be without them! For the Carpal Tunnel issue my solution has been Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery. It has been a little over two weeks since the surgery and I am getting feeling back at this early date which is encouraging.

Considering that you state that the palms of your hands are going numb, maybe a glove with a gel insert in the palm? That could dampen vibration somewhat. Also try paying attention to how your hands feel when you ride and just barely touch the hand grips. If that relieves the numbness then maybe you ARE pressing too hard on those grips.

Reactions: Uss
Grip Puppies work very well I have them on the Griso.
And as others pointed out riding position etc may cause it.

Before electing surgery for carpal tunnel you may want to see a good massage therapist.
Maybe 8 or 10 years ago i was diagnosed with CTS but it was actually pinched nerves that ran along side my left scapula.
My massage therapist was very thorough & explained a lot to me concerning posture, work area's & even diet.
Within a few weeks the symptoms were reduced & in a few more gone & have never come back.

I had the same problem when spending all day riding a mountain bike up and down Northstar ski/bike runs.

20130723_125214.jpg

Terror does that to you and no I'm not in the picture.

You need to move your hands around and change your grip.

When I went to the Guzzi National Rally I spent 13 days on the Griso without a problem. I moved my hands, changed my grip and got off the bike every 90 minutes or so.

Thanks a lot boys it all makes sense. I don't have CTS but have had a lower back problem which only bothers me if I keep sitting for too long without a back support/back rest. My answer to that is taking a stop every hour or so. But... first off I am going to try holding the grips a little lighter and second will get the grip puppies...I have long fingers so the grips maybe a bit small. But I have just ordered original heated grips form MG would the grip puppies work on them?

Plus I was planning on putting on handle bar risers which will bring the handle bar a bit closer and an inch higher, eventually eliminating any lean forward tendencies.

I added bar risers and can now rest my hands on the grips without any tension in my fingers (to pull me forward to the bars). Including use of the cruise control, I have eliminated any hand numbness, shoulder tension etc.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. What size risers did you use? Was it on an Eldo? Did you have to move the cables or pipes around a lot?

If you put grip puppies on your heated grips, you may not feel the heat. They will act as insulation. Eventually you may get some warmth, but only after the puppies are heated.

But I have just ordered original heated grips form MG would the grip puppies work on them?

Plus I was planning on putting on handle bar risers which will bring the handle bar a bit closer and an inch higher, eventually eliminating any lean forward tendencies.

I have the MG heated grips with Grip Puppies over them. I am satisfied with the amount of heat that gets to my hands when they are ON. I have never used the heated grips without the Grip Puppies, so I can't say if they work any better or worse with them in place.

I also have the GT-Rx risers on my Custom (lower, flatter bar bend). I have found that the adding height increase plus rotating the bars a bit allowed me to find the "sweet spot" for me.

If you put grip puppies on your heated grips, you may not feel the heat. They will act as insulation. Eventually you may get some warmth, but only after the puppies are heated.

I have the Grip Puppies over the MG heated grips and DO feel the heat just fine. I find that after they initially warm up I set at "2" and the heat seems just right.

Thanks Stephen. What size risers did you use? Was it on an Eldo? Did you have to move the cables or pipes around a lot?
The risers are 1" (25mm). I ride a 1400 Touring. I did not have to change anything else.
I think that to install risers taller than 1" will require adjustments to cables etc.

Stephen

I have a California Custom. I also used the GT-Rx CNC Bar Risers ( https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers/ ). I did relocate the throttle cables from under the upper triple tree to OVER the upper triple tree. I guess you might be able to get away without doing this but I was uncomfortable with the tension on the throttle cables at full right lock.

Does the Custom have the same handle bars as the Eldo? Was that without disconnecting the cables, did you re-route them while the handle bars were being refitted? I have ordered the GT-Rx Bar Risers and should be here soon, waiting for Todd to send them across Downunder!

Does the Custom have the same handle bars as the Eldo? Was that without disconnecting the cables, did you re-route them while the handle bars were being refitted? I have ordered the GT-Rx Bar Risers and should be here soon, waiting for Todd to send them across Downunder!

Based on the parts list diagrams:

Handlebar P/N
California Touring (887549)
California Custom (887551)
Eldorado (887549)

So, it looks like the Eldorado and the California Touring use the same handlebar. The California Custom handlebar is different (flatter, wider).

Regardless of model the throttle cables do need to be disconnected from the throttle handgrip if you want to change the routing to above the triple tree. But should not be difficult for someone that does basic maintenance on their bike.

FYI, when you install the riser spacers make sure that you cover the gas tank with a thick towel to prevent accidentally scratching the finish.

Back