• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

oil filter wrench

motobob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My oil filter is leaking. What do you fellows recommend to use as a oil filter wrench?

Nothing, hand tight only, only use a wrench to undo if tight when its time to change it.
Paul
V11 BREVA.

Errr! WRONG! BAD! ASKING FOR MOTOR DESTRUCTION!

The oil filter lives in a pit in the sump. You can't tighten it adequately by *finger* around the edges. Oddly enough that is why the filter top has flutes on it and you are supposed to use a fluted filter tool.

These tools are probably readily available from 'Wotalotacrap-Auto'. All you ned to do is take in a filter and match it up. If, Like me, You are as lazy as a week old condom you'll just let someone else do the hard yards and get Todd at MPH to mail you one.

A third alternative is to buy an incredibly expensive set of filter wrenches of which you'll only ever use one or two or better yet swell Piaggios bloated coffers by buying the Guzzi tool.

A forth alternative is a ratchet wrench, also avcailable from 'Wottalotacrap Auto'.

Essentially ANYTHING other than relying on 'Finger Tight'!!!!

Pete

i got an oil filter wrench off e-bay for a couple of quid, fits the car too! :)
you can get them from most decent auto shops.

I am gonna take a stab and guess he has an outside filter other wise how would he know it's leaking ? If your fiter is outside and recessed ala Norge and I guess the other 1200 2V motors and there is a UFI filter in there then you got to have the right wrench and your not gonna find it at the local auto store. There are 2 versions of the same UFI filter one the older model has 8 flutes the newer one has 12 or 14 flutes, I forget right now. If your in the states call Todd at MPH he has both wrenches. Use the wrong one and you run the chance of rounding the flutes of the filter, then it isn't gonna come off unless you drop the sump and use a strap wrench on it, DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW !:angry:

I stand corrected! :blush: ....although I did have a leak on my filter, and it was lose, and I tightened it by hand...leak fixed!.:)

1963paul wrote:
I stand corrected! :blush: ....although I did have a leak on my filter, and it was lose, and I tightened it by hand...leak fixed!.:)

Get a tool to do the job that allows you to tighten it further. If the filter loosens in service it may well cause you to fall off and if you don't notice and are unaware of the oil loss you WILL destroy your engine.

Pete

Noted Pete, cheers.
It has had a service since I "fixed" it, and had a new filter fitted....and it's tight!.

When you install a filter on a Breva or Norge, go finger tight, then with a filter wrench, turn an additional 180 degrees.

I had the same problem.

Over many days I progressively increased the torque wrench setting for the oil filter until the oil stopped leaking.

The figure I came to was 20Nm.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for obtaining an oil filter wrench after determining how many facets on yours. Too much at stake compared to minimal cost of wrench. If you have the old version filter, in any case you will need the newer version wrench as well as all the new filters are this way. Besides MPH, another source would be MG Cycle, at mgcycle.com. Either source is worthy of your support.

RedKite wrote:
I had the same problem.

Over many days I progressively increased the torque wrench setting for the oil filter until the oil stopped leaking.

The figure I came to was 20Nm.

Hope this helps.

That sounds like a good specification. The BMW procedure is hand tight plus 90 degrees for the older bikes, the new 1200s call for 11 Nm. So I think the the procedure I gave above may produce near 20 Nm on the Breva/Norge et al filters.

There are inexpensive self-grip and reversible filter tools available (here from Repco and Super Cheap Auto) which will fit the recessed filters on these bike. Also filter cap-sockets. You do need a tool to both remove and refit the filter on these bikes.

Apart from smearing the new filter seal with oil and tightening the filter 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more once the seal seats, it pays to ensure that the old filter didn't leave its seal behind. Having two seals in place makes getting a seal dubious. I have never had a filter leak on any vehicle.

Thanks for the info. I looked up some filter numbers went down to the local parts place found a filter then went over to the wrenches and found on that fit. It did the job just fine. The reason I had asked for some info was I was not sure whether the filter was an oddball size or not.
bob

bronco breva, hope the filter in your bike now is 8 flutes, cause any new filters you get will very likely be the newer 14 flute version. You'll need the 14 flute wrench sooner or later if you don't already have it.

The new filter bought from my Guzzi dealers yesterday and the one on the bike both have 8 flutes. the internet site "tools-n-all" have all size's of wrench so not a problem if they change in the future.

I notice most of the filters on ebay are not OEM parts and do not have 8 flutes.

Bronco_Breva

Hello Graham,

I am a new member on this forum. I have been riding my 2006 Guzzi Breva 750 for 3 years and loving it. I do my own oil and filter changes and really want to be able to service my bike more, e.g tappet checking and perhaps adjusting. Guzzi service is 120 km away through very heavy Melbourne traffic. Very unfair to Breva in hot weather, stop/start traffic!

Are there any after market oil filters that can be used on Breva 750 i.e. at my local Repco, K-mart or Super Cheap?

Hope to hear from you, or any Australian Guzzi people who can give me advice.

Cheers, Valerie

PS. I have done 19900 km on my bike now.

G'DAy Valerie - don't bother the OEM ones are cheap in the whole scheme of things - just give Mario at Thunderbikes in Perth a call and order a stash of them to last the next few changes.

Your 750 has an internal filter so you don't need a special tool.

Welsome to the forum, the 750's have a special section down below under "small blocks" and you might find some useful info down there...

Back