• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Sump- paint scratched off...

StokedOnSpokes

Tuned and Synch'ed
From regular road debris, I have noticed that the some of the paint on the oil sump, in the front of the bike, has gone missing. Just by washing/drying my bike, I can remove paint on the sump.

Anyone else having this issue? Bike is not quite past it's warranty, though I never will think that Guzzi would warranty paint so low on the bike. Has anyone had this part painted or powder coated? Are there any aftermarket spoilers or something that could mask the damage?

S-O-S

My Breva is like that as well. Not a lot of chipping/flaking, but it is spotty.

StokedOnSpokes wrote:
From regular road debris, I have noticed that the some of the paint on the oil sump, in the front of the bike, has gone missing. Just by washing/drying my bike, I can remove paint on the sump.

Anyone else having this issue? Bike is not quite past it's warranty, though I never will think that Guzzi would warranty paint so low on the bike. Has anyone had this part painted or powder coated? Are there any aftermarket spoilers or something that could mask the damage?

S-O-S

Well,

If you're ready for a long session at the puter, you can go read Roadkylls postings on the powder-coating theme, over at the Mild Side. :woohoo:

For me that's the only downside to having a well maintained and clean bike, looking down and seeing all that paint gone:angry:

I assume what's occurring could / would also happen on the Bellagio??

Mine is much the same, worse than the below pic which was taken over a year ago, there is less paint, and chips in the alloy, but plenty of km's on the clock, I just love riding it, I have seen breva's with rubber mud guards fitted for protection... but somtimes damage out weighs bad looks... I will stick with the chips....

Just wondering;

How could you expect ANY black coatings or paint to last, exposed for the naked front wheel?

It's really easy Anders. You don't ride it. you just sit it in the shed and polish it and once a month ride to the friggin 'Cafe' and pose.

Look. It's a bloody VEHICLE.. Stuff like this happens with anything, never mind an engine case! First time I hit mine with the steam cleaner great flakes came off. Sorry, I laughed! If I was *worried* by it I'd get a can of rattle can black and spray over it.

Fuck me drunk? A bit of paint falls off and its a problem! I hate to think what will happen if you ever encounter a REAL problem! And I don't want to hear all the same, tired old arguments about how it is an expensive vehicle etc. etc. It's a vehicle from a manufacturer so small they barely rate and a mass producer. They have a long and less than illustrious history of doing stuff on the cheap. Twenty minutes of research on the net would tell you this. Nobody is FORCED to buy anything, never mind a Moto Guzzi, so how about just getting over it and HTFU?

Pete

Every now and then I get really worried. When I do, Pete Roper worries even more. It's when we agree on something. :laugh:

I mean I have my own (rather large) bag of character & behavior disorders, and the sack even includes occasional bouts of obsessive-compulsive behavior involving Guzzis. But you guys cannot be serious? :blink:

If I were snowbound as many on this board are, maybe I would worry more about such things. At the same time, the only thing more motoanal than this "problem" I can recall hearing from a Guzzista was the guy who complained that his tach and speedo dials were fading differently from the sun and no longer matched. Heck, my EV's have faded so badly they've disappeared; I miss the tach a bit. :p

Seriously, this is not a big deal. Relax. Gives the beasts some cred for actually having been riden instead of merely shined.

Regards,

Bill

I have no idea why this topic is touching a nerve with some people. There are riders out there that do ride and do keep their bike looking new, taking pride in their brand. No one should be ashamed of that. Yes, it's a vehicle meant to be ridden. Agreed. But it's not a dirt bike either. In my case, I plan on owning this bike for a lifetime and consider this a maintenance issue.

So instead of ripping on those who like to keep their vehicles looking pristine how about staying on topic, which is how to prevent or care for this part of the bike.

StokedOnSpokes wrote:
I have no idea why this topic is touching a nerve with some people. There are riders out there that do ride and do keep their bike looking new, taking pride in their brand. No one should be ashamed of that. Yes, it's a vehicle meant to be ridden. Agreed. But it's not a dirt bike either. In my case, I plan on owning this bike for a lifetime and consider this a maintenance issue.

So instead of ripping on those who like to keep their vehicles looking pristine how about staying on topic, which is how to prevent or care for this part of the bike.

Well, speaking on behalf of 50% of the "some people" crowd :p , I think it is on topic to suggest that some perceived problem should be ignored.

And, as I said, I have my own idiosyncrasies, so I was hardly making fun of you all ... OK, not much, anyway. :laugh:

It did bother me the first year I had my EV that road debris removed the paint on that leading part of the sump, but I decided that it was, as a practical matter, the ways things were. I have seen threads here, on wildguzzi, v11lemans.com, etc., that addressed painting, powdercoating, etc., and there are likely still there or on similar fora. There are probably terabytes of that on oilhead boards.

I have 89K on my EV (and, btw, 26K on my departed Ballabio, and 28K miles on my Norge) now, and it looks great. After my OC tendencies when I first got the EV led to overwashing and that to stranding myself in BFE, Virginia, on account of a corroded ignition switch, I no longer wash it, but do use all sorts of "products" to keep it clean.

So, I suppose I am saying that I include myself among those who "do ride and do keep their bike looking new, taking pride in their brand," and I am not ashamed of it. Apparently, we all have our levels of comfort with cleanliness; I must fall on the piggy side. I hope you others find the answer.

Regards,

Bill

To balance this a little bit, I've been warned by quite a few people (and seen similar remarks addressed to others) about earlier V11 models that had black paint on the sump, which would blister. My own reaction to that would have been "so what?", but apparently the issue is or was largely seen as A Problem, which if I'm not mistaken was even taken care of under warranty by Guzzi.

I must admit I wouldn't even be able to tell if a Griso sump is "silver" or ought to be black. I know I was kind of deceived when I noticed my Norge has silver-coloured paint on a metal-coloured sump. Kinda like a blonde dying her hair ... blonder.
Now that I think of it ... might make the first serious cleaning attempt a bit easier, if the paint comes off without much ado ;)

Stoked: have you considered installing a mud-flap of the proper size?

StokedOnSpokes wrote:
I have no idea why this topic is touching a nerve with some people. There are riders out there that do ride and do keep their bike looking new, taking pride in their brand.

It touches a nerve with me because, I'm sorry, but it's petty. Yes there is enjoyment to be had from having a *new* thing but there is also enjoyment to be had by letting it aquire character and a patina of age and use. From the moment things I own come out of the box I accept that the process starts. If I look at some of my older bikes I can see the knocks and scrapes and every one brings back a memory. That ding in the tank was where it fell over in a car park. That scratch was from where I rode it through a hedge while being a bit too enthusiastic. It's all good and all tells a story.

As for taking pride in the brand? I'll take pride in it as long as that pride is deserved. I don't need to have something shiny and under-used sitting about to reinforce to myself I'm proud of what I ride. BTW if you ever go near the sea or ride when there is salt on the roads your mirrors will disintegrate. Toss 'em and buy a pair of 1200 Sport ones, they're much better. Aprilia part #'s

AP8104921
AP8104922

They'll keep it looking much smarter for much longer AND they won't Buzz or Rust.:lol: They are like the ones on my Mana or the Griso SE.

Pete

Heh, my mirrors indeed look like they're being eaten alive, but that's just the part I can't see while I ride ... for the rest they work great for me (and can be adjusted more than the Mana ones), so I'll keep listening to the stories they have to tell ;)
(correction: one is being replaced as I actually managed to crack the glass in my 2nd crash ... and the salt will be mostly off the roads when I get the bike back ... let's hope for some good old-fashioned acid rain! :D )

StokedOnSpokes wrote:

Good on you Stoked, i am with you. I like to keep my bikes looking good at all times and i get a sense of satisfaction when people comment on how good they look. I am not a fan of discoloured headers and engines covered in road grime so i spend time polishing and cleaning. I usually get comments of "you mus'nt ride it much" which these days is becoming more of a fact. I have been riding constantly for 30 odd years now so going 2 or 3 weeks without the need for speed is not the end of the world.

For those of you who feel this thread is trivial, don't stick your nose in just because there are no other threads for you to contribute to today. Wait until tomorrow and contribute something usefull we can all share in.

I to have come to the conclusion that there is no fix worth persuing for this issue. Shit happens, and i will get over it.

I serviced my bike yesturday and rode 300km the day before that, so my service picked up the fact that the face plate on the exhaust (figure "8") unscrewed and fell off whilst on the ride..(despite me using some semi-permanent locktite on the 3 bolts!) Mario in Perth (Aust) tells me it's a one piece kit, so it now gives me the opportunity to either buy another stock pipe or buy a staintune of something else.... The end looks shit, but it is functional, so I can live with it until I decide if I want to bother getting another pipe....

You're talking about the end/opening of the G8v muffler, with the sort of radial grill? Why would that be screwed on as opposed to riveted? There's nothing serviceable inside the pipe, I'd presume, so that'd be just to have another part to sell, probably for €€€?

double.d wrote:

For those of you who feel this thread is trivial, don't stick your nose in just because there are no other threads for you to contribute to today. Wait until tomorrow and contribute something usefull we can all share in.

I to have come to the conclusion that there is no fix worth persuing for this issue. Shit happens, and i will get over it.

I take it that you are not a career officer with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade? :laugh:

FWIW, while I might have phrased it a bit more delicately, I concur with your last sentence, above. ;)

Regards from the GarageMahalo, where my '98 HDM EV and '07 (fast, red) Norge sit in dazzling resplendence, clean and sparkling. That said, the parts that meet the road have battle scars. I like to think of those as a lover's scratches. :p

Bill

Back