RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Welcome to the GT Forum! GuzziTech is now back to our origins; We hope you enjoy the Guzzi Global Community Forum here. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: If you are posting on numerous sites on the web, please stop back and follow up. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com - Store tab above. You need a different username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation with several business going at once - Sign into the Store to check on orders before contacting us. Thanks for your patience on orders. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000~2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Prospective stelvio buyer flat tappet question

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Gusable, May 7, 2017.

1. Gusable

Gusable Tuned and Synch'ed

Currently riding a 2001 r1150gs. Always admired MG bikes from a far. If I were to realistically get a guzzi I think a stelvio would suit my needs well. My budget would be probably 7500k max OTD. So probably a 4v flat tappet bike. What's the chances I could find an honest seller that has put ZDDP oil in the bike and NOT Mobil 1 it's whole life? I don't what "the oil" is in these things but I know what flat tappet vs rollers require. I'd love to get an early stelvio with no cam problems. What should I look for? Thank you! Gus

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Well, here's one I did, still for sale, has one of Todds maps in it & a pipe. I burped it to life, know all the owners took care of it. It's had 2 set's of flats in it and now rollers and always good oil.
    http://www.mariettasportscar.com/ve...zzi-stelvio-3b895d22109be744933d056a0697d396/

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Here is the thing with the flat tappet motor. No matter what oil is used, no matter how much ZDDP is put in, the tappets will fail. If you buy one that hasn't got rollers, figure doing the conversion as part of the purchase price.

4. Gusable

Gusable Tuned and Synch'ed

Ok I'll keep that in mind

5. Guzziolsen

Guzziolsen Tuned and Synch'ed

I suppose all engines will break at some point, even those with rollers.
    But if this is true, about the engines with flat tappets, I'd like some help. My Stelvio is a 2010 model, model no. ZGULZB005AM111570, engine number is A8 012277. What kit should I buy A, B or C? And what is the spare part number of the spare kit, I have to buy?

6. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

I suggest you check with your dealer. Guzzi may supply the kit and you just pay for labor. It isn't an easy job to do the conversion. At any rate, the dealer can tell you which kit you need based on the engine number/series.

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

8. Guzziolsen

Guzziolsen Tuned and Synch'ed

Do you Know witch Kit I Should buy for my 2010 model? A or B

9. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

A 2010 Stelvio can be either an A or B kit as I understand it (and also how it is shown in the picture Todd posted).
    You need to have the VIN looked up by a dealer to see which version your specific 2010 needs (as they are not all the same).

10. Hugh

Hugh Just got it firing!

I'm thinking of buying a 2013 stelvio 1200 8v with rollerised mod done at 29k miles - these are the cams/followers that came out - does the collective think this wear is likely to have caused further issues of wear deeper in the engine from the missing DLC or is it an acceptable degree of wear and be Ok long term. The bike has apparently done another nearly 2k miles after the mod.

Attached Files:

11. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

You should be fine, DLC is not peeled off, just discolored. This happens 1st before peeling begins. Just ride it.

12. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

I don't quite understand the "rollerised mod" being done on a 2013 Stelvio. Midway through the 2012 season, Guzzi upgraded all the Stelvios before they went to the dealers. No 2013 model should need the upgrade, since they're rollers already.

However that happened, my 2009 Stelvio went about 40,000 miles on the original flat tappets, which I think might be some sort of record. When it was disassembled for the roller upgrade, the tappets were much discolored but still flat and smooth, no DLC material missing. It was only a short time away from death, however ....

Lannis

boscoman likes this.
  13. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Just this minute found that's not always the case Lannis.
    A member on my Stelvio Owners FB Group has just posted that his VIN number indicates an early 2012 Bike, but Bike was obviously not registered until 2013.

luigi57 likes this.
  14. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I think that is down to the difference between manufactured date and date of registration. In the USA, a motorcycle built as a 2012 model will always be a 2012 model no matter when it is sold or registered. But it seems in some places the same motorcycle can be sold / registered as a later model.

boscoman likes this.
  15. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Probably also depends on the particular Country's method of Registration.
    In the UK, the Registration Number shows the year it was registered, and the region.
    Up until 2001, there was only one registration designation per year, now there are two (March and September).

E.g., my '09' Plate shows it was registered between 1st Mar and 1st Sep 2009. If it was done between 2nd Sep and 28th Feb 2010, it would have been a '59' Plate.