• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rear brake calliper

Geordie

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So I thought I'd check the rear pads and although they have some life left in them I decided to fit new ones. No problem removing calliper, removing pads, retracting the pistons. Unfortunatley it looks like the lower pin that the calliper "floats" on is seized. Look like the gaiter is split and the pin is a tad corroded.

Is this fixable or is it a new calliper?

I have never pulled one of the Brembo ones apart, but have had many experiences with ATE/Bendix callipers on cars where the same problem has arisen. I have always been able to clean the pin , regrease, and use again. If the rubber seal has gone,there may be more of a problem, but use a good waterproof grease,and keep an eye on it, and it will last for years. Use Scotchbrite or very fine emery cloth to clean the corrosion off the pin.
Probably find there was no lubrication in there on first assembly.

I can agree with the "no lubrication on assembly" comment, mine had no grease on it when i changed the pads a few weeks ago.
A bit of copperslip cured that.
Geordie, if you can get the siezed pin out and grease it before assembly, the gaiter can be fixed by applying a blob of silicone gasket sealent on the outside, around where its split (making sure its spotlessly clean first)
As long as you don't use a pressure washer on it it should hold.

my mistake, the pin doesn't actually come out, but is pressed into the back of the caliper and like you say,the caliper body "floats" on it.
all i did with mine was pull the gaiter back and apply some copperslip onto the pin, but as yours is a bit rusty and the caliper isn't floating, then the application of plenty of plusgas might free off the caliper body, then you can grease it.
good luck.

it's actually the top pin (when fitted) that is stuck. I was holding the calliper upside down :(

anyho... it looks like one pin is fixed in the body of the calliper (top) and one in the calliper mount (bottom). I assume that if all was well you should just be able to pull the two bits apart?

It is well and truly stuck. Looks like £126 for a new calliper which isn't as bad as I thought but I'd like to dismantle and repair this bugger. It's not that easy to see how to prise the thing apart.

Well, you have the thing on a bench, I don't, but if both ends of the pins go into blind holes, then they must come out.
Just looked at mine, and the top one looks as if it is just a sliding fit in the silver mounting bracket. It is either pressed, or more likely screwed, into the gold calliper.
The lower one is again fixed into the calliper but the other way round, and must slide in the mounting bracket, but there is a rubber plug over the end which I can turn, but have not tried to remove.
My guess is that the rubber bung covers the means of removing that pin.
But having it on a bench, or at least off the bike should be easier to tell what is going on.
Lots of penetrating fluid, and keep trying to move it.

You might find heat will also help to free it. The alloy calliper/mounting bracket should expand more than the steel pin.

Brian, the rubber plug you speak of is actually the gaiter/boot that the slide pin goes into. On the one that is stuck the boot will be in the silver carrier. That gaiter/boot is split which has caused the corrosion. Not sure I can get a replacement boot even if I can get the carrier off. When dismantled one pin should be in the calliper and one fixed in the carrier.

It's not on the bench at the moment as it's still connected to the brake line ;-)

GOT THE BASTARD!

bit of blow torch heat but mainly a f@@@ing lot of whacking with a drift and 1lb hammer. THe gaiter is toast but if I can get another I should be fine.

Witll not having the gaiter on be an MOT failure?

well the place I'm taking it to for it's MOT say it is fine without the gaiter but I still want one!

All MG dealers I've called say you can't get them unless as part of the whole caliper ????? I'll trawl round the car/bike workshops tomorrow looking for a similar piece of rubber.

Many car callipers are now single sided floating type, and will all have a small gaitor on each pin. They might be a little larger diameter, but a trawl round a breaker for a S/H calliper might get you what you want.
Also you can sometimes get overhaul parts new for some callipers, which would have the gaitors.

temporary repair made using a thin rubber tube thingy that cables pass through to keep them together. It is tapered and fits nicely once cut to size. It compresses well but will probably leak as it isn't fully sealed at one end. A decent grease will keep the pin moving for now.

So yay... back on the road again... and nearly off it as a BMW driver tried to drive me off the road to prevent me overtaking :-(

Back