Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Riding in icy conditions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by guzzisti91, Sep 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. guzzisti91

guzzisti91 Tuned and Synch'ed

Hello all,
    This is my last post for at least 12 months - i sold my nevada back in april due to a slipping clutch. I was also trying to get a job as a snowboard instructor & was too lazy to make chains for my beloved nevada.
    Anyways, i intend to buy another Guzzi in Germany & take it to the slopes in Italy. Any tips? How are conditions there, & how do guzzis handle in such icy conditions?
    All i found elsewhere was "don't ride in winter", but i may not have a choice & i'm not one to let cold weather hold me back:p
    Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated

2. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

There is no bike made that handles well in icy conditions other than a motocross/enduro bike with ice racing studs. I would never take my Guzzi out in the ice or snow. I live at a ski resort in Quebec. I make a sand trail down the middle of my driveway and allow the heat of the sun to melt the ice and snow so I can get out to the street in late March. Here in Quebec it's actually illegal to ride between December 15th and March 15th unless you can find snow tires that fit your bike (they don't exist).
    My advice would be to find a cheap AWD car to use as a ski bum mobile.

john zibell likes this.
  3. guzzisti91

That got me thinking about the laws in Germany. I did see a bmw riding toward me in baden-wuertemburg in dec 2017, but i'm getting mixed reports of their laws in regards to this, so i've contacted the authorities there for an answer straight from the horse's mouth.
    As for wanting to use a bike, i have my reasons; Australia drives on the left, & driving in Europe was terrifying for this reason. A bike will help me adapt, & if the Italians really are as crazy as they tell me, i can actually bail in a crash rather than be trapped inside for hours.
    As with awd, i despise subaru & audi. So unless i can get parts for a crv there, fwd works fine, thank you very much

4. guzzisti91

Having done more research, & contacting German & Austrian authorities on the matter, i can conclude that this is doable. I am yet to recieve word from the Austrians, but the German authorities told me that their strict winter tyre laws do not extend to motorcycles. The Italian laws are about as lax as they are here in australia, but the Swiss are, to my astonishment, even more relaxed! This means that if i can handle the bike, i can use it. Guzzis, i find, have a low centre of gravity, but progress may be painfully slow for such a large journey, but it is legal & doable if you are heading to Italy from Germany or vice-versa

5. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Here is another issue for you. Motorcycle tires are formulated to operate at higher temperatures than car tires. The glass point is a term for when a tire doesn't provide adequate traction. The glass point for motorcycle tires is about 27 degrees Fahrenheit or or -3 Celsius. So even on a dry road, traction is very limited at low temperatures. Exceeding available traction will result in gravity winning.

6. SMTCapeCod

SMTCapeCod Mechanochondriasism GT di Razza Pura

Rubber formulation will be key. There are winter rated motorcycle tires, manufactured in Turkey. Anli or something similar. They have additional siping which is good and I'd expect the compound to be more cold biased. There is a YouTube of a shop in Canada testing them in cold/light sleet.
    (Edit: Here ya go: )
    You could consider Ural with sidecar for a little extra contact patch. Or Yamaha Riken, haha.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019