Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Roller Tappets again...

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Ray., Nov 4, 2019.

1. Ray.

Ray. Just got it firing!

So it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a roller tappet conversion kit. They are not cheap, I’m being pointed towards TLM in Holland as they are the cheapest, certainly far cheaper than my nearest parts supplier at £580’ish. That’s unless anyone knows better?

Cheers.

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT di Razza Pura

Even your nearest parts is way cheaper than the US, here it's $900 the going rate at dealer list.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  3. Gianpiero Aquilino

Gianpiero Aquilino Just got it firing!

hi Ray.

what is the reason you'll be needing another roller kit?

I recently purchased a 2010 stelvio with flats. I just now took a look at the tappets and they look like this (RH only for now, not enough time to do both on the same day)
    This is the kit I'm planning on buying soon, its the cheapest I've found till now:

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/piaggio-parts/1a002063 WhatsApp Image 2020-01-06 at 21.45.31.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-01-06 at 21.45.29.jpeg

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Be sure you purchase the correct kit for your machine. There are 3 kits depending on year. See this thread. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-tappet-failure-but-were-afraid-to-ask.17282/

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

And they are different prices too.

I think, for those in the UK, TLM are probably the best bet.

6. Gianpiero Aquilino

Hi John,

Yes in fact I looked up the procedure in knowing what kit I'll be needing, and according to what I saw, since my cylinder heads have the machined dot, and also de covers don't have the o-ring fitting I deduced I'll be needing the B kit. Any experienced eyes that could say how horrid is the damage on my tappers with 40.000 km?

Any experience with MSP selling parts? I was going to buy my kit on gutsibits but I found this one at a better price.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

7. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

With that much damage done to the lifters, I would definitely flush the engine block, oil passages, pick up and visibly look at the oil pump.

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Have you checked with Stein Dinse? They are my favorite go to company in Europe. Price may be slightly higher, but the company is FIRST CLASS and I have never been disappointed or experienced any problem with them whatsoever.

V700Steve likes this.
  9. Gianpiero Aquilino

Thanks for your advise, I will now consider deeply the oil flush, I'm pretty sure this should be done before installing the Roller tappets? As in Flushing with the flats installed?

Much apreciated for your involvement and help

Cheers!:rofl:

10. Stephen Dickinson

Stephen Dickinson Tuned and Synch'ed

Bugger
    I thought I had done my homework before buying a 2012 Stelvio.
    I thought a May build and engine no of 12669 would put me in the clear.
    The previous owner (in good faith) was not aware of the issue and the importer had not made him aware of the need to check and indeed hadn't even informed him of a couple of minor recalls since he bought from new in June 2014.
    Anyway find out today the real build date is March 2012 and according to the distributor is a flat tappet engine.
    The distributor may (?) come up with the kit but I will have to pay for labour and the initial investigation as to wear.
    Only 27000kms on the clock.
    I think a call to my solicitor and a review of Australian Consumer Law is on the agenda.

11. Lannis

Lannis Cruisin' Guzzisti

As far as I can tell by reading forums and talking to fellow Stelvio owners, my 2009 Stelvio that went 39,000 miles (65,000 KM) before I converted from flat to roller tappets, may be the world record holder for 8V mileage without tappet self-destruction.

I checked the valve clearances regularly and they never changed, although it's a fact that by the time the valve clearance IS increasing due to tappet failure, there's already a considerable amount of hard-facing chips in your oil.

When we (at the dealer) took out the flat tappets to photograph them and send the images to Guzzi to request a kit (the $1500 kit since this is an earlier model), they were mottled and discolored (looked like high heat) but they were still smooth and no material was missing. They were "on the edge", though.

The dealer and I talked to Guzzi, who were VERY reluctant to send a kit, since the lifters were not absolutely destroyed. (During this process, my wife got disgusted with Guzzi, wandered into the dealer showroom, and bought a new Triumph Tropy SE 1215). But the silver tongued young lady at the dealer finally convinced Guzzi to send the kit, and one $900 service charge later (heads-off job), we had the bike back AND a new Triumph. It has 52.000 miles on it now and running smooth.

But Guzzi are acting like real bastards about this. They KNEW they screwed the pooch on this, NO ONE'S 8V is surviving, they tacitly agreed by changing over to roller tappets in 2012, and they're treating the customers like they accuse them of abusing the bikes and like Guzzi is doing some sort of huge favor sending the fix-it kits.

I'm not normally a fan of suing people all the time, but I'm glad to see that someone is going to at least try to hold Guzzi to account on this debacle!

Lannis

12. Stephen Dickinson

Cheers Mate
    Have booked into the dealer next Thursday for the strip down and check, as quested by Guzzi that I will have to pay for.
    However I may be in luck.
    Took the tappet cover off one cylinder the other day and although I couldn't tell one way or the other by looing at it, sent a couple of photos back to the distributor who now reckons could be a roller engine after all.
    Next week will confirm one way or the other.
    Here's hoping.
    In the meantime the Stelvio is going well and no strange noises. I tried taking the baffle out of the MIVV exhaust that is on the bike. Much better sound and not too loud, but low speed throttle response was effected and exhaust popping on overrun was way worse. Have put the baffle back in. IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0496.JPG

13. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

groundhog105 likes this.
  14. groundhog105

groundhog105 Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Stephen
    I would encourage you to take Todd up on his offer of fueling. He knows what he is doing.

V700Steve and GT-Rx® like this.
  15. Stephen Dickinson

Many thanks guys