• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Safety Alert for 8V Motors. Possible Alternator Wiring Short

My 2013 Stelvio has similar/ occasional symptoms, I will be pulling the tank in the near future to check connections.
Thanks for a well written and informative diagnostic report.
Bob

This is definetly a maintenance item now and something that needs to be checked. I am now seeing 14.3 at the dash on startup (14.5) at the battery after a few rides to charge up the battery. That was just from tightening the terminal at the alternator. I have not seen that number for years. Normal has been 13.8 at the dash.

Can this be inspected w/o removing the tank? And can it be reached to smear some protective grease onto the connection of the ring terminal, crimp, and any exposed copper wire twist?

I'd like to do this while the bike is still new to prevent corrosion on this connection for the lifetime of the bike. Have a jar of NO-OX-ID high temperature electrical contact sealer which is made specifically for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
You can see the boot that covers the terminal nut if you remove the right side fairing panel. You may be able to pull the boot off the nut with some long needle nose pliers but you will risk damaging the boot. If you try this then make sure you disconnect the ground from the battery. If you touch that nut or wire and the chassis, you will get a light show.

Only take about 5 minutes to remove the tank. I have done it even with a full tank. It is heavy, but it can be done. That is the best approach.

Also, be careful with that conductive grease especially with this connection. It is warm under there and if that grease runs it will hit ground somewhere. Keep in mind the entire alternator housing is ground. You are better off with di-electric grease or good old vaseline if you want to prevent moisture on the terminal.

I still don't believe corrosion is the issue here. It is more related to a loose connection either at the terminal nut or a bad crimp on the terminal itself leading to increased resistance, voltage drop and heat. My 2012 showed no signs of corrosion but the nut itself was somewhat loose. I only lost about 0.2 or 0.3volts at idle so the heat from the added resistance was still manageable by the wires.

A tip regarding the tank. The "quick release" fuel connector is normally the main problem. But if you have one of those folding work benches to hand, put it alongside the bike then lift the tank off, swing it to the side and rest it on the bench. There is usually enough slack in the fuel pipe to allow this. You might have to disconnect the electrical connector but that's easy.

A tip regarding the tank. The "quick release" fuel connector is normally the main problem. But if you have one of those folding work benches to hand, put it alongside the bike then lift the tank off, swing it to the side and rest it on the bench. There is usually enough slack in the fuel pipe to allow this. You might have to disconnect the electrical connector but that's easy.

Not on a 2016. You won’t have enough slack and very easy to kink the hose. The connectors are on the top of the tank on the large tank models. The connector is not difficult to remove if you know how to do it.

Push down on the connector and the black ring at the same time. Then while u are still pushing down on the black ring pull up on the connector. Should just pop off. The ring stays with the tank. If it is difficult you are doing something wrong and risk breaking it.

There is a YouTube video on how to do it. Use a rag so and residual fuel does not spray. Will only be any pressure that is in the line. You can disconnect the wires first from the tank and try starting the bike. This will relieve any pressure.

Will only be any pressure that is in the line. You can disconnect the wires first from the tank and try starting the bike. This will relieve any pressure.

That hasn't worked for me. I leave the wires connected, start the motor, and then disconnect the wires. The motor soon splutters to a stop and the pressure is relieved.

That hasn't worked for me. I leave the wires connected, start the motor, and then disconnect the wires. The motor soon splutters to a stop and the pressure is relieved.

Works for me. Just need to turn the engine over for a couple of seconds without it starting. That being said your method will work but I am not a fan of disconnecting something while it is working (ie the fuel pump). That is how shorts can happen.

You can see the boot that covers the terminal nut if you remove the right side fairing panel. You may be able to pull the boot off the nut with some long needle nose pliers but you will risk damaging the boot. If you try this then make sure you disconnect the ground from the battery. If you touch that nut or wire and the chassis, you will get a light show.

Only take about 5 minutes to remove the tank. I have done it even with a full tank. It is heavy, but it can be done. That is the best approach.

Also, be careful with that conductive grease especially with this connection. It is warm under there and if that grease runs it will hit ground somewhere. Keep in mind the entire alternator housing is ground. You are better off with di-electric grease or good old vaseline if you want to prevent moisture on the terminal.

I still don't believe corrosion is the issue here. It is more related to a loose connection either at the terminal nut or a bad crimp on the terminal itself leading to increased resistance, voltage drop and heat. My 2012 showed no signs of corrosion but the nut itself was somewhat loose. I only lost about 0.2 or 0.3volts at idle so the heat from the added resistance was still manageable by the wires.

Took it out for a while today, first run with the new Motobatt installed. Dash is showing 14.2v at idle and 14.3 at cruise ~ 4000rpm. Looks like good steady voltage they don't fluctuate. Inclined to pass on tank removal and inspection for now. Depends on how long cold and boring this winter is I suppose.

...There is a YouTube video on how to do it. Use a rag so and residual fuel does not spray. Will only be any pressure that is in the line. You can disconnect the wires first from the tank and try starting the bike. This will relieve any pressure.

That's my video! Yep, my voice, hands and 2012 Stelvio. The part most people miss is FIRST, press the connector in, then SECOND, press the locking collet, surrounding the connector, further in, then the connector can be easily removed with only a little burp of gas. It's really easy once you do it once or twice and understand how it works. If you have to force in in any way, your doing it wrong. Fingertip pressure only.

Good Luck!

I finally got into mine. I am the one who had no charging or lights when I got my bike and found the lighting relay had no supply, figuring it was a fault in the harness. So I just ran a hot wire to it. No smoke or flame ensued and went on to put 17K miles last year.

So anyway I found no corrosion or looseness. The red shrink tube was intact. I cut it off anyway to take a look. It doesn't look perfect,, but close. I suppose I could do a do over but I don't have a crimp tool.

One other oddity is I found that sometimes when I hit the horn the engine seemed to cut, or stumble. After the third time I never hit the horn button again. As long as all is exposed now any suggestions of anything else to look for

? Terminal 1

Later

One thing I will do is make my jumper from this post to eliminate that long wire from the battery. I think I will disconnect the horn somehow too.

There is a gremlin in here somewhere.

Last edited:
Back