• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"SERVICE !" display

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard65

Just got it firing!
My '06 Breva V1100 occasionally comes up "SERVICE" with the ! triangle, but no other symbol (as it says it should, in the handbook). The bike was serviced 1,500 miles ago and there is nothing I can find amiss, that might cause the warning to trigger - no wayward speedo/ engine malfunction etc. If I hold the on-board computer button in and turn the ignition off then on again, "Service" disappears - but so do the volatile displays (mpg/tripmeter etc). The bike will then run for 500 0r 600 miles, before "Service !" appears again.

I gather it is possible to access "Code recovery" and "Diagnosis" in the menu by typing in a user and bike-specific password code, but unless I go to the nearest Moto Guzzi dealer (Hayward's at Cambridge) some 50 miles away, how would I acess the memory on my bike? Is it something I could manage using a laptop?

I understand that the speedo sensor can send rogue signals to the display if either get wet (I have sealed my sensor as a precaustion), but I have yet to see any erratic indication by the speedo.

What do others think?

Sometimes the oil pressure sensor will trigger that fault as well. Use the diagnostic code for your bike (two are listed but from your description you have the older style control so I suspect the code is 36421) and see if you have codes present. Codes for all bikes are listed on the forum. Download the general service manual for the 1100 Breva as it lists the codes. Let us know if you have codes in history. You are letting the dash do a full self diagnostic before starting?

John,
Thanks for your response.

I'm a simple soul. I have an ignition key and a left-hand grip 'toggle button' which only allow me to wander sequentially through the menu. How would I input the code for a Breva V1100 user?

When I switch on, the dash does its fairy lights', full scale sequence, gives me "Moto Guzzi" in the bottom of the display, then the accumulated data totals. "Codes present"? Very probably - how would I know? There has to be a means of accessing the stored data, without enlisting a nominated Moto Guzzi franchised Dealer at £££s per hour. "Codes in history" - how do I access?

I've got an owner's handbook - regarding diagnosis it says : "...a password is needed that is only available to Moto Guzzi Service centres..."

At the risk of repetition, having that code, how would I input it ?- the toggle button does only that - toggle. As I asked earlier - what means is there for the normal user to access these fault codes, other than via a franchised Dealer's hardware?

Michael, it is covered in the manual on how to get to the Menu screen to enter the code, which John listed it above; 36421. Spend a few minutes with the manual and the bike, it takes some time to get used to. You do not need a dealer or a tool to get to this screen and/or reset the error codes and service light.

A Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) check/reset and normal diagnostics does require software that I offer here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/produc ... ay-11.html

Hi Todd,
Thanks for your input. I've re-read my paper user handbook. Apart from the service centre password, it is silent on fault codes. I've read the workshop manual - no diagnostic electronics help there either, although it does show point 22 on the wiring diagram as the diagnostic connector. Having also read the Service manual, sure enough there are the fault codes and a technicolour picture of the Axone diagnostic device and connector near the battery. I suspect that
"To connect Axone it is necessary to use
the connector Ditech which is present at
the confection of Axone 2000 Aprilia-
Moto Guzzi"

translates to 'you need one of these to access the system'? I just can't see how I could input " 36421" using the set button (item 10 on the controls). Pedantic though it may be, I need to know exactly how to safely access the system -presently, the service warning can be simply deleted. The concern is that it may be an actual fault. Tentative entry in to a digital environment can be a recipe for getting locked out - presently, my Breva is rideable!

I've read the words and looked at the pictures, but found nothing that indicates how to input a service access code.

OK. I think I've sorted it. For the benefit of other "simple souls" like me, the "Set" or toggle button IS all you use.

Like most digital alarm clocks/bicycle speedos and rudimentary games of perhaps 20 years ago, you have to "toggle" through the menu to get to the prompt you want. "Long pressing" (in Janglish speak) selects that mode; "short pressing" increases the cursor character one-at-a-time. Get to the character you want, long-press/select and on to the next. Miss your character and you 'go round again' for another attempt. I mention this "procedure" in simple terms, because I've been unable to trace anything specifically in the Guzzi literature (so ludicrously simple, it's not worth a mention, I guess)

Inputting 36421 opened my diagnostics memory. DSB7 (oil sensor) was the only stored error code. Since the bike was serviced recently (included oil & filter change) and oil level and pressure are both fine, I deleted the error code.

The oil in the sump doesn't look like 10W 60 to me - something 'thicker' perhaps (15W 40?). Not something that's a worry!

Brian UK said:
15W40 is thinner than 10W60 at operating temperatures, though I don't know how you can tell by looking at it?
But 15w40 would be slightly thicker at room temp. It uses a thicker base stock with less "thickeners". Also not something I would think the average person would be able to distinguish by looking. Some sort of drip/pour comparison should show, but without two to compare against each other I am not sure you could tell such a small difference.

Oh dear!
I'm an 'old style' biker - I read "plug chops", exhaust port colours and the like. All this electronic gubbins is, for me, too much to go wrong that you can't fix easily. In similar vein, "reading" cold oil ( small amount between finger and thumb - see how far the oil will bridge before the bead breaks ) gives a fair indication of cold viscosity. Old 20w/50 mineral gives a big bead that parts easily: watery, modern synthetics a much more elastic, narrower bead. I really don't know how I came to owning a modern, digitally fragile machine. Dealing with the 750T and Enfield was SO much easier and I don't have nearly as much "how on earth do I....?" with my R100CS special. :woohoo:

"Simple Soul" time again. Now I can get in to my error codes, the only one in the "A" (for active) and "M" (for memorised) is DSB 07 - oil sensor. I've deleted the DSB07 error message; the bike rides normally without any "Oh-OOH" icons.

DSB 08 is oil pressure sensor (equivalent of the old "red light" - not much oil pressure?) and the dipstick shows it's chest deep in oil, what does DSB 07 warn me about? Could it be that at the last MG service, "normal" oil was put in, instead of racing AGIP10W/60 (and as everyone knows, a 247kg Breva V1100 :top-box and panniers is firmly in the dash-about-like-a-loon category) or is it a sign that the thermostatic control (which presumably brings the cooler in to play?) is stuck shut. Or is it that the italian electrical gremlin has struck, delete the record and pobble merrily on?

DSB 07 is a common fault. Can be caused by a bad connection, bad sensor, or starting the bike when it still has some residual oil pressure and the dash thinks it shouldn't. DSB 07 is one of those "oh yeh, this one again" and keep riding. DSB 08 is a different story though, believe that one. If it keeps throwing the 07 fault, check the connection to the sensor and possibly replace the sensor.

John,
Thanks for that. (Could be an iffy connection or a flakey sensor - for residual pressure I'll just put one of my Warfarin tablets in the oil). Exactly where is the sensor?

Left side of the block, near the top, behind the phase sensor. On the Tonti bikes, easy to access, on the CARC machines, not as easy.

John,
Thanks again. The sensor is expensive and apparently only accessible after removing the fuel tank, airfilter and housing. I'm not over-enthusiastic about replacing it - what exactly does it do? There must be some clearly definable purpose, sufficient to ditch the "pressure switch and lamp" arrangement?

greybeard65 said:
John,
Thanks again. The sensor is expensive and apparently only accessible after removing the fuel tank, airfilter and housing. I'm not over-enthusiastic about replacing it - what exactly does it do? There must be some clearly definable purpose, sufficient to ditch the "pressure switch and lamp" arrangement?

Don't you want to know if you loose oil pressure? Are you sure all that must be removed? The tank will need to be moved back but I think there is just enough maneuvering room to get it from the front.

John,
I assumed that DSB 07 (oil sensor error) was different from DSB 08 ( oil pressure sensor error) - as you said, "DSB07... Oh Yeh, this one again". The parts list appears to show an oil temperature sensor and a separate oil pressure sender. I'm not getting the oil pressure warning (DSB08 which would light up the "oilcan" icon?). Are you saying the one sensor covers both functions?

Found the answer buried in the Service Manual - only one oil pressure sensor. It has two functions - both pressure-related. If there is no oil pressure with the engine running DSB 08 is triggered, together with the oilcan icon (= the old red light: very low oil pressure). If when switching on there may be pressure preventing the sensor showing 'no oil pressure' that triggers DSB07. I guess this is most likely when you just ride down the road a few miles, stop (say for fuel) and restart then the oil is likely to be "thick" and not drain down. I think I'll hold replacing the sensor until I get it giving an error message when the engine (and oil) is well up to running temperatures.

Simple answer is that the pressure sensor is just a switch which is opened by a farly low pressure. The ECU checks it proi

ior to start, and if it sees open circuit it shows the 07 message and warning triangle. If it sees open cicuit after starting it show the 08 message.
The 07 one can be triggered by a poor connection in the circuit, the most likley cause.
The 08 message can be triggered by a broken oil pump, guess how I know. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back