Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Service warning and triangle - again

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by MotoZA, Sep 20, 2018.

1. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

My answer to both your questions is I don't know.

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You asking for more possible trouble substituting one model for another. They don't get different numbers from the manufacturer for no reason.

3. MotoZA

MotoZA Tuned and Synch'ed

Finally got the bike running again. I *think* it was the ECU ground, even though it was secure. I loosened it, cleaned the surfaces, sprayed some terminal cleaner, and tightened. Also checked the resistance of the rpm sensor again, it measured 660 ohm. Cleaned its connectors too, and every other plug I could get my hands on. Even polished the battery lead connectors, wasn't going to leave anything to chance. Assembled, switched on, noticed the service warning was gone, pushed the start button, immediately started. Now not sure what the solution was, but very relieved.

4. MotoZA

Oh boy, the bike is starting to act up again with ECU error 54. So, I have decided I'm going to buy a new phase/rpm sensor because I've convinced myself (perhaps incorrectly) that it is the phase sensor that's busy failing. Reason? Sometimes the RPM dash needle drops to zero, it's hardly noticeable, but it coincides with a misfire. Also, if you read up on phase sensor failures, you can get a slew of different issues, many of which I experience.

After spending hours on the web (mostly reading Aprilia/Guzzi/Ducati/Fiat/Alfa forums and bugging sellers on eBay) I have discovered that the Magneti Marelli SEN 813 is in fact a SEN 8i3, not 813 (a capital 'i', not a number one). I took mine out again and it's definitely a capital 'i'. Magneti Mareli makes a range of these sensors, most of them are designated as SEN 8#*, where the # could be D, E, K, M or I. The * is either omitted or a 3 (if omitted, it's a 2-pin, if a 3, well then it's a 3-pin).

So after learning all that, I eventually found a replacement sensor made by Facet, part no. 9.0032. I'm going to order one and try it. I'll report back in due course.

GTM® likes this.
  5. MotoZA

Unboxed.jpg
    So I replaced the Magneti Marelli Crank Position Sensor with the Facet one, it's been 6 weeks now and no more ECU errors, no more starting issues either. Bike runs and starts beautifully. Below some pics of the two sensors, I think the culprit is the very sharp bend in the old sensor's wiring, I made sure to have a larger radius when I installed the Facet sensor. Success.

EDIT: To confirm, you can replace the Magneti Mareli SEN 8I3 sensor with a Facet 9.0032.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. Glenn Thorpe

Glenn Thorpe Tuned and Synch'ed

Great job trouble shooting to find the problem. Have you had any service warnings since?

7. MotoZA

Hi Glen,

No, the service triangle warning is gone since I've replaced the Crank Position Sensor, I don't get it anymore. It's been more than 2 months now...

8. Glenn Thorpe

Glenn Thorpe Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks William.

9. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

10. Daniel_Bellagio_Spain

Daniel_Bellagio_Spain Just got it firing!

Hi MotoZa,

I got the same trouble with my motorbike, after searching some information on internet I found this forum. So, I would like to thank you for sharing this information. I am goin to buy the replacement from Facet in order to replace the damaged one.

Regards,

11. Jake Bradwell

Jake Bradwell Just got it firing!

I have had exactly the same issue as described in this post, intermittent starting but engine turns over with service and triangle warning light. If the sparkplugs pulled while in error mode no spark and no fuel when engine turns over. Once running the fault never appears so it won't stop or break down but once switched off it may or may not restart. No error codes were showing in dash or ecu. I had it in a guzzi dealer for a week they started bike every day the error never happened, I rode away and it happened after 4 mile when i stopped for fuel. Through trial and error I eventually found I could get the fault to appear and reappear by wiggling the wiring going into the rpm sensor then it eventually showed up as active error code 54 as i wiggled the wire but that was after many many weeks of no fault code at all. I have ordered a new sensor that should arrive today so lets hope at the cost it is the cure. Cheers Jake.

12. Louis

Louis Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi MotoZa

Surprise........i have the same symptoms with my 09 Stelvio NTX.
    2 weeks ago in the dash the SERVICE and the red triangle light. Bike cranked but did not start.
    Pulled all relays out and in again, same with the fuses and disconnect and connect the dash.
    Than....it started again.

After 1 week in the garage, i now have the same problem.
    Will check tomorrow the ECU error code and i hope it will be the same as yours.
    Cheers........Louis

13. MotoZA

I sold my Stelvio in Dec 2020, but just to confirm, I never saw the service triangle again.

Louis likes this.
  14. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

Nooooooo, say it’s not so !
    And after you got all the bugs worked out !

Did you replace it with something else ?

15. MotoZA

Yes, replaced it with a 2016 Super Ten. I just got tired of servicing the bike without local support in terms of parts and know-how. Guys actually started phoning me for advice on how to fix them (and Grisos). However, that did change recently (end of last year) with a new importer of Aprilia and Guzzi, but at that stage my mind was already made up. Yamaha dealers all over the show here in South Africa (they're like the Toyota of bikes down here). New owner very happy with the Stelvio -- but then he should be, nothing was left for him to do. Last thing I did was I had the swing-arm bearings replaced, had that done. It's a poor design, the seals on those bearings are not seals at all, they're just cover plates, they could've improved the layout a bit. Anyway, I sold the bike with a clear conscience knowing there was nothing wrong with it.

I have a list of aftermarket service parts that I KNOW fits the Stelvio, if there is interest in that I can post it here?

Louis likes this.
  16. DeadEye

DeadEye High Miler

You’re a long way from any of us for parts except maybe the Ozzy’s ;)
    Enjoy the Tenere !

17. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Yes, by all means. This kind of information is priceless! Please don't let it just disappear. Thank you.

18. Louis

Louis Tuned and Synch'ed

Please do !!! Thanks.

19. Louis

Louis Tuned and Synch'ed

I also had the ECU-54 error !!!

Yesterday i got the new crank sensor and have it mounted.

As there is very less space for factory original 90 degrees sensor. The factory made a pretty sharp bend in the wire close to the connector, see picture.
    As my new one was also a 90 degrees sensor, i had to bend the wire in the same way. But due to the stiffness of the wire, i choose to warm it up with a hair dryer and bend it carefully in the same way as the old sensor. After bending i let it cool off in my hand to hold that 90 degrees bend.
    That all worked fine.

The wire from the old sensor became very hard, special the part that was bend close to the sensor. I tried to turn the wire in the sensor and there was play in it.

I do believe that a instead of a 90 degree sensor a straight sensor with the same specs will fit better, but i don't know if a straight one excists. The Facet 9.0032 will fit for sure after you have bend the wire.

PRELIMINARY RESULT:
    After installing the new sensor, i connected the dash and put contact on. Yesssss, no "SERVICE" anymore and also in the ECU-errors the X at nr 54 was gone.
    Started fine as it always did before.

So, time to build all the plastic togetheragain and after that was done i made about 5 starts and all 5 worked fine.
    So, it seems that my problem is solved, but have to wait a few rides to be sure of that. But i am pretty convinced right now.

Attached Files: