RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Service warning and triangle - again

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by MotoZA, Sep 20, 2018.

1. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

My answer to both your questions is I don't know.

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

You asking for more possible trouble substituting one model for another. They don't get different numbers from the manufacturer for no reason.

3. MotoZA

MotoZA Just got it firing!

Finally got the bike running again. I *think* it was the ECU ground, even though it was secure. I loosened it, cleaned the surfaces, sprayed some terminal cleaner, and tightened. Also checked the resistance of the rpm sensor again, it measured 660 ohm. Cleaned its connectors too, and every other plug I could get my hands on. Even polished the battery lead connectors, wasn't going to leave anything to chance. Assembled, switched on, noticed the service warning was gone, pushed the start button, immediately started. Now not sure what the solution was, but very relieved.

john zibell likes this.
  4. MotoZA

Oh boy, the bike is starting to act up again with ECU error 54. So, I have decided I'm going to buy a new phase/rpm sensor because I've convinced myself (perhaps incorrectly) that it is the phase sensor that's busy failing. Reason? Sometimes the RPM dash needle drops to zero, it's hardly noticeable, but it coincides with a misfire. Also, if you read up on phase sensor failures, you can get a slew of different issues, many of which I experience.

After spending hours on the web (mostly reading Aprilia/Guzzi/Ducati/Fiat/Alfa forums and bugging sellers on eBay) I have discovered that the Magneti Marelli SEN 813 is in fact a SEN 8i3, not 813 (a capital 'i', not a number one). I took mine out again and it's definitely a capital 'i'. Magneti Mareli makes a range of these sensors, most of them are designated as SEN 8#*, where the # could be D, E, K, M or I. The * is either omitted or a 3 (if omitted, it's a 2-pin, if a 3, well then it's a 3-pin).

So after learning all that, I eventually found a replacement sensor made by Facet, part no. 9.0032. I'm going to order one and try it. I'll report back in due course.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  5. MotoZA

Unboxed.jpg
    So I replaced the Magneti Marelli Crank Position Sensor with the Facet one, it's been 6 weeks now and no more ECU errors, no more starting issues either. Bike runs and starts beautifully. Below some pics of the two sensors, I think the culprit is the very sharp bend in the old sensor's wiring, I made sure to have a larger radius when I installed the Facet sensor. Success.

EDIT: To confirm, you can replace the Magneti Mareli SEN 8I3 sensor with a Facet 9.0032.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 2:29 AM
    GT-Rx®, boscoman and MickE like this.