Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Stelvio Fork Bleed?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by rmance, Apr 30, 2019.

1. rmance

rmance Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

So, I took my forks into a local shop to have new fork seals put in. Yep, probably should have done it myself but have never done it before and I have plenty of other things going on getting the Stelvio prepped for Overland Expo. He's had the forks for a few weeks now and I did call several times to see if they were done. He told me they are both done but he couldn't get one side to bleed ... no matter what he does. He finally gave up and had a friend also in the business to check on it. He as well couldn't get that one fork to bleed. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution?

2) is it dangerous to ride like that until I get back from Overland Expo?

Thank you!

2. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

I would ask them to kindly fix it. You don't want to ride w/1 stiff.

rmance likes this.
  3. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

By bleeding, I am assuming they are talking about filling the dampers. Have never heard of bleeding the forks on the Stelvio, or frankly any street bike I have ever owned. THere is no bleed screw on the cap. Not a dirt bike???

My guess is the damper screw is closed and sealing off the port. Do they understand that one is set up for compression and one for rebound. They will "bleed" differently. One pretty much self fills and the other needs to be pumped to fill (think the compression fills on its own but don't remember)

They need to make sure the adjuster screws are completely open and then pump the dampers up and down with the cap off to get all the air out. If they are just opening the screw with the caps on and thinking it will "bleed" like a dirt bike then get your forks back and find another shop.

Just my 2 cents

rmance likes this.
  4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Correct, hence removing the air. Otherwise you will never get the correct amount of oil in.

rmance likes this.
  5. canuck1969

OK. Confused me when they said bleeding the forks, which is what you can do on other fork styles with a bleed screw. Hopefully they get it sorted out. My guess is they are trying to bleed it with the cap on and opening the adjuster.

6. rmance

rmance Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Well, picked them up last night. He told me to pump them individually (off the bike) to feel the difference. Honestly it didn't feel any different to me! He did mention one is for compression and one is for rebound. Just to make myself feel better I am going to pull the caps off tonight. Not sure what I'll be looking for but I think I can figure it out. On the plus side ... they're not leaking anymore YAY!

7. canuck1969

They should feel a little different so not sure why they are seeing that as strange. One is compression heavy and one is rebound heavy. When they are both on the bike they work together for one complete system. One a little harder to push, one a little slower to return. If you have both adjusters fully open they may feel somewhat similar. Sounds like that is the case.

Only real thing to check is if they put in the correct amount of fluid. If they filled it by volume then it will be fine. If they filled it by level and did not get the dampers to fill properly you may be a little low. Only way to verify that is to remove the cap entirely (ie from the damper) and pump the dampers up and down with the adjuster fully open. Then check the level. You can leave the spring in. They should be equal. If not, add more fluid to the lower one to be safe. Best way would be to remove the spring also and fill to the proper level by height.

This is why I prefer to do my own work. I generally have a lack of trust when it comes to things like this, and usually for good reason in my experience.

rmance likes this.