• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Sudden and severe pinging between 4-5000 RPM

I was playing up a hill yesterday on my Stock 1200 and noticed that at low revs (really should be changing down a gear, but I’m lazy) I will get that pinging “clack clack clack” noise as I roll on, I tend to just go with ½ a twist or whatever of throttle. But if I roll right to full throttle there is no “clack clack clack” noise, like it only occurs at less than 100% WOT.

Anyone else get this?

pete roper said:
What RPM were you pulling?

Low rpm. Would probably be around 3,000 rolling on, but she is not down in those revs for very long so not like it's an issue. I seem not to encounter the noise over 4,500. But really hard to tell for sure, I prefer to look at the road for some strange reason :lol: so the dials just get a quick glance rather than an actual ½ second focus and look.

If I was going hard I’d be changing gears & I really should be going quicker and getting into 2nd and 3rd on that road. Sometimes I do but it can be busy and vision isn’t real good, not fun at all if you are going a bit quick and encounter someone else doing the same :( So I tend to just stay in 2nd 40~80kmh stuff. Rev – clunk. Rev,downshift – whine just seems less mechanically friendly than letting her tractor out of a few corners now and then :D

(actually since I’ve never seen another Carc Guzzi they all make that whining noise decelerating in 1st - yes? )

If you're using a big handfull of throttle at 3,000 or sub 3,000 the poor thing is going to want to detonate. VE is really good at low engine speeds so the detonation problem is more accute. Rev it out more and use the highest octane petrol you can find and it'll probably be peachy.

Pete

That’s the weird thing. I was stuck behind some traffic on the way home so I had a chance to play around. If I’m in top gear and 3,000rpm if I slowly roll on (like I tend to do, I don’t often go for full throttle) I get the “clack clack clack” sound around the 4,000rpm mark. But if I just wack her wide open she runs through that rpm range smooth as silk. Temperature is pretty cool for Queensland at the moment (~24 deg C) and I’m always running 98Ron fuel, as long as I can buy some.

It’s really nothing that “noticeable” or even worth “complaining” about. It’s pretty peachy and I actually prefer to ride 4,000RPM or above. Just something to kick around while stuck in the office on the net :) I seem to be quite lucky with my Sport. She runs quite well, original fueling map too!

What I really should do is find out what is rattling somewhere in the headlight faring. But it’s not really that annoying either :lol:

"What I really should do is find out what is rattling somewhere in the headlight faring. But it’s not really that annoying either"

Does the rattle stop when you put a hand on top of the windshield and pull back slightly? If it's what I think, I have a quick and easy fix.

Cat City Rider said:
Does the rattle stop when you put a hand on top of the windshield and pull back slightly? If it's what I think, I have a quick and easy fix.

Yes, stops if I put my hand on the screen, what did you do?

Testing after an exchange of spark plugs at ~21°C:
:arrow:
Replacement spark plugs for LOR14LGS AOR10LGS, do not resolved the problem with "pinging" :( , but maybe it's quieter this sound.

Adjusted the AFR on the Autotune to 13.0 from 4,000 - 5,000 rpm. In approximately 450 miles, I have not had a severe pinging event yet. Temps have been 80-90 degrees. Hopefully, this isn't premature reporting.

NeroGuzzi said:
Adjusted the AFR on the Autotune to 13.0 from 4,000 - 5,000 rpm. In approximately 450 miles, I have not had a severe pinging event yet. Temps have been 80-90 degrees. Hopefully, this isn't premature reporting.

....and it was premature reporting. Just had another severe pinging event. Although, it seems less frequent with the richer AFR.

NeroGuzzi said:
....and it was premature reporting. Just had another severe pinging event. Although, it seems less frequent with the richer AFR.
Correct as "air-cooled" is a misnomer for fuel-cooled.

I read over this whole thread last night and felt pretty sick about all the trouble ya'll are having with your bikes. I live in a cool climate and effectivly have the opposite problem but, perhaps there's a silver lining.

* Wet/Cool climate and <1 hr commute rides cause excess water condensation in my crankcase, depositing as white sludge in my air box. I scoop it out about twice a year.

* Hot climate is causing engine overheating, pre-ignition and loss of power in your bikes. (I used to ride an SP250 off-road mountain climbing and there were times it ground to a halt overheated and pinging like mad.)

* Moto International in Seattle (Mikka the lead service tech), recommends I cover my B11's oil cooler/radiator in the winter to help with low engine temperature.

* Why would the reverse not also be possibly true? Perhaps you might explore using a higher capacity oil cooler.

Keep up the good work!

~ Bruce

Back