• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suggestions for Tires for a Griso 8v

NickSzasz

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all,,, well Spring is definitely getting closer. Longer days, warmer sun, and plum blossoms out. My Griso 8v with 10,000 Ks on it definitely needs some new tires front and back. I'm a weekend rider, and pretty much all year round - less in the winter - but a month never goes by with a few rides. I love in Japan so the summers are very hot - but we have the other 3 seasons. Road conditions are generally very good. I'm not a really aggressive rider. The stock Metzlers lasted 10,000 Ks which seems like a long time. As for performance my inexperience with anything else means I have no perspective. If it is a choice between longer wearing and stickiness, I'd go for sticky. I can afford to spend more on tires if they'll buy me more safety. I suppose I'd be happy with the same, but before I order them, what do other Griso riders like.

My Stelvio doesn't quite match tire options, but my BMW R12 and Triumph triple are similar in riding and tire use, I have had great results on our mountain roads and track day use with several tires.

Pirelli Corsa III's, great tires, but they wear quickly.

Dunlop Qualifier

Bridgestone 016. Great value.

Conti Sport and Road Attacks

All these tires are excellent and I buy what is on sale as much as any other factor (I use 4-5 sets a year). There are new multi compounds from all the tire makers and I find they work great for year round riding (Mich Power One, Dunlop Qualifier II, Conti Attacks, etc.). In the US there have been some great sales on the "old" tires as a result. My tires last between 2400-7500 miles depending on tire brand/compound, time of year and many other variables such as two up, etc. If you like what you have I wouldn't worry about changing brands unless you just want to try a new compound.

Pics of your area would be great to see!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Road 2's they wear well but wet weather grip isn't the best. It's adequate but not the best. Before that I was using Avon Storms which stuck like shit to a blanket but wore quickly.

You say you got nearly 10,000Km out of the originals??? How??? I got through the first five sets of tyres on my thing in about 24,000! The originals on mine, the rear anyway, was gone by about 3,300Km, the front didn't go much further!

Pete

Nick, put these on and be done with it; Dunlop Roadsmarts <- Click. Awesome tire for anything you'll need, including track days if you wish.

Attachments

• RrTire.jpg
    RrTire.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 866
I got over 6K miles out of the stock Metzlers. Then I got about 8K miles out of the replacement Z6's, and about 7K miles from a set of ContiForce's. I have finally went back to my personal favorite tire when money is not a factor, Michelin and their Pilot Road 2's. I have only got about 100 miles on them before winter set in so it will have to wait for a final verdict but so far so good. The one thing I have found about tires though is that what I like is not always the same as what you like. Unfortunately, while you can read about tires and what other people think of them there is no substitute for actually trying them yourself and seeing what you think.

I have Pirelli Diablos Stradas on my 8V. Not sure about(Only 400 miles so far) but they handle well & wear good on my Aprilia Tuono.
Don-M

I appreciate all the feedback - and I'll let you know which I go for. Also need to check and see which are available. Will post some pictures of Moto Guzzi in Japan too. Here's a snap of my mechanic's bike - also a 8v that he takes out on the track. It has Todd's magic box in it too. Says it works well.

Attachments

• griso-loers-2.jpg
    griso-loers-2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 820
  • griso-lovers-1.jpg
    griso-lovers-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 820
Almost waited too long to take my bike in for new tires,,, the threads were showing! This is the back tire after 9,400 ks. My dealer persuaded me to go the for the "New" Roadtec Z6.

Nick

Attachments

• griso tire2.jpg
    griso tire2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 765
I dont know what I've done wrong but my rear tyre is squaring after only 2600 miles!

I'll be fitting Battlax BT02-whatever series and will let folks know how I get on with them.

The "new" 06 is supposed to be a very good tire and there is the 05 due soon as an option for your 03's.
Safe Travels and Cheers!

I have just put a Metzeler M3 on the back as it has a steel belt. it is classed as a hypersport rather than a sport touring the Z6 sounds like the pick of the bunch by Motarrd Mag.

What the media had to say

Germany's Motorrad magazine has confirmed Roadtec Z6 Interact™ as the #1 performing sport touring tyre on the market. Unlike some non magazine tests, the comparison was conducted in an open manner and not behind closed doors with controlled results which cannot be independently substantiated.

Intense competition came from a range of manufacturers including the multi-compound products such as Michelin Pilot Road 2, Dunlop Roadsmart, Bridgestone BT021, Pirelli Angel and Continental Road Attack with Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact™ declared the winner, outranking all other products in the category.

The best news is that wet grip and high speed stability were the key factors separating Roadtec Z6 Interact™ from the competitors. Specifically, with wet grip, Roadtec Z6 Interact™ showed an incredible 12m less braking distance than the OEM tyre.

The test concluded that: “The Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact™ has full protection against any competitor attack: cornering stability, straight line stability and the wide range of controllability are at the top”.

Final results:

1. Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact™ – 19 points 2.Dunlop Roadsmart – 18 points 3.Michelin Pilot Road 2 – 18 points 4.Pirelli Angel ST – 18 points 5.Bridgestone BT021 – 16 points 6.Conti Road Attack – 16 points

im only on the G11 but i loved my rdsmarts,at the moment im having a great laugh on maxxis ,dirt cheap and bloodly good

Marko, what bikes were used for the test? It is important in my experience that a similar size & weight machine be used for accurate results.

Johnno, Maxxis is just a rebranded Cheng-Shin. They are being used on the dirt-tracks of America, but I'm not sure I'd want to personally give them a whirl on a Guzzi. Good on you for trying.

No, Maxxis is not a re-branded Cheng Shin. They are owned by CS but their tires are their own, and they are quite good. Unfortunately they are out of the US street tire market. It is a shame because they had a great street tire, the SuperMaxx, and a great supermoto tire, the Goldspeeds.
I have used the Supermaxx personally, and and I really liked them, but have not had the opportunity to try the Goldspeeds on my supermoto but I hear they are great.

I used the Michelin Pilot Road 2, and got a lot of miles and very good performance, for me is the best match.

I'm running Pilot Road 2's at the moment. They aren't as grippy as the Avon Storms I had before but I was cutting them to shreds in less than 4,000km! The Pilots seem to be made of sterner stuff and have been on for yonks. I have them on the Mana too. I'm almost up for a new rear on the G and for winter I might put something a bit softer back on but since I ride like the King of the Softcocks I probably won't bother.... :lol:

Pete

I have dunlop qualifiers on my griso, whatever Andrew has on his griso handled better than my qualifiers... My tires may have better traction, but his have better feel, i would take the trade.... andrew, what sizes and what tires are you using on you griso

Interesting results. The PR2 has been around for a few years and there is a new Road Attack2 and BT023(?). It would be nice if they used the latest generation from all companies. No mention of test mules used and appx wear is a factor for sport/touring tires for most buyers. Even the "older" tires only show a 1 point variable so I would still buy what is on sale as there are no bad tires in the lot. Unfortunately the Stelvio tire sizes eliminate most of these new tires in matching front and rear.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers

Bob

Unfortunatly the artical did not specify the bike used. Only it was fair comparison between brands.

Having said that The Griso is a heavy bike with enough torque to shread any tyre. We are not all the same weight,we don't all ride the same, We ride differently on different roads in different weather. I am trying a Metzler M3 the stickier version of the Z6, I wanted to go with the Pilot road but there were none in stock. The M3 has a steal belt which helps it hold shape better under a heavy bike like a Griso or hybusa. I am not expecting high miles out of it,if i get 5000km i will be happy i like to ride fairly hard. If i was after high miles the general feed back i have from Griso owners so far has been the Pilot or the Z6.

Well I'll resurrect an old thread, I'm getting close to new tires for the 8v. I have 4400 miles on the stock m3's, and could probably make it to 5-5.5k before needing a change but I'm going on a 1,000 mile trip and would rather not fuss with changing tires halfway through (that and the handling in the mountains on my current fairly squared off rear tire blows monkey).

I'm leaning more toward the Michelin Road 2ct's. Does anyone have any updated mileage numbers that they've gotten out of their tires recently, sport or sport-touring?

Back