• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tacho for Cali 2003

AndyOyamadaZ

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi,

Is this a right place to talk about current California models? If so, does anyone know a wiring way to fit the tacho for California Stone 2003? I found some instruction about fitting tacho to Jackal that says tacho wires are in the case behind the indicator panel. But my Stone 2003 did not have any extra wire in there and actually the wires were terminated under the ECU. The wiring diagram of my user's manual says there is only 1 wire out from ECU and the wire color was GI-N(yellow-black) which is connected to 1 way AMP plug but actual output was 3 wires in a 3 way AMP plug and wire colors were black, blue and red-brown. I will attach a photo.

I bought a tacho for Harley Davidson that has good small diameter 46mm. That has 3 wires for +12V, 0V and to the negative terminal of coil. I am guessing this tacho only works for 1 coil V twins. Stone has 2 coils. And Stone's coils are connected by AMP sealed plugs so I need to cut the wire skins. I don't like to do that.

I have been adjusting the power commander map by guessing the rpm from speed. It has been capturing good positions though not reliable. I may need to buy a new suitable tacho. Any advise appreciated.

Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• CA3C0005.JPG
    CA3C0005.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 387
  • CA3C0004.JPG
    CA3C0004.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 387
  • CA3C0003.JPG
    CA3C0003.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 387
Andy,

I'm unfamiliar with HD ignition systems. Do they only have one coil and a distributer that has a rotating rotor contact like a car?

If so the tacho you have won't be correct but an instrument technician should be able to recalibrate it for you. It may cost more than its worth though.

I'm also unfamiliar with sealed later coils too by the sound of it. If you want a tacho then you will need to get to one of the negative terminals of one of the coils. Either that or splice in to the wire as you have mentioned. The tacho has to get the ignition input from somewhere.

I can only be generic as I don't have experience with the models you have listed but I do understand how to wire in a tacho. Is there a fourth wire for an internal illumination globe?

Before you start hacking the wiring harness, make sure the plug you intend to cut off really is the one for the tacho. The same type of plug is used for the ECU diagnostics connection.

Thanks Brian, Yes, it's a diagnostics plug! The wiring diagram was correct. So the 1 way AMP plug should be somewhere... maybe around the frame head pipe. I will look for it. How bad I was doing... I hope my bike still runs OK... I didn't cut any wire. I just checked the voltage and connected to tacho. So there may be no problem.

Thanks Morizzi, I found that ECU controlled ignition coils are different from any other. ECU sparks once 2 revolution, other 4 strokes once 1 revolution. It seems I need to buy one more...

Thanks alot,
Andy

Morizzi, I took a photo of ignition coil sealed plug. It is hard to connect a standard tacho wire. I will look for the correct wire anyway...

Attachments

• stonecoilwire.jpg
    stonecoilwire.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 370
Andy, you could've added the PCIII LCD instead, then you could've documented all kinds of good info... add the WideBand Commander II, and you'll have everything you'd need to drive yourself crazy. ;)

Click for info;

Thanks Todd, I have been keeping away from options of PowCom but It's considerable now. I am having a discussion with my wallet.

I am really intending to get the widebandcommander and LCD. Does the widebandcommander read tacho from powercommander? The multi function hub supposedly does that. Too many wires are sticking out from widebandcommander. Would anyone please show a sketch of the wiring of all PowerCommander, WidebandCommander, LCD and MultiFunctionHub?

1 more question. What can LCD show on the screen? Can it show a engine tempareture? I am not sure if powercommander reads the engine temperature. I guess PC does not handle that. I may need to see A/F when engine is in the stable tempareture and I like LCD to show that it is in the good tempareture to edit A/F.

Regards,
Andy

I am super-confused... it seems the widebandcommander2 with LCD is the right choice now... I will have a contact with some dealer to figure out that. I need to find the correct tacho wire anyway. Sorry for messing up the board. Thanks.

Andy, no problem... you didn't mess anything up, good questions. So yes, you can add the WBCII & LCD to your Power Commander. I'd be happy to get that for you if you'd like, as I'm a Dynojet dealer. The LCD can only show data supplied to/by the Power Commander. Right now, I have mine with a tachometer and air/fuel data (from the WBC) as well as throttle position, % fueling change and % injector duty cycle. It does not show temperature, no. You do not need a USB hub. They make a cable that connects the LCD & WBCII to the PCIII. Again, I'd be happy to provide all of that for you if you'd like. Post below with any other questions or thoughts.

Hi Todd, your first advice was correct. I got an answer from Dynojet research.

Hello Andy. If you want the LCD to display PCIII parameters and give you access to the fuel maps, you will have to go with the LCD-100 and original Wideband Commander. The WB2/LCD-200 will not “talk” with the PCIII.

Is it optional to get the cable to connect PCIIIusb, LCD-100 and WB1? not bundled with LCD-100 or WB1?
And there is a conflicting problem. My Cali. Stone 2003 Japanese edition has O2 sensor. From 2003, Guzzi started using O2 sensor except US. I have a parts list of Stone 2003 and it shows 2 types of H pipe, one for US that has no sensor hole. You have told me that Dyno makes an optional O2 controller but I wish these O2 sensor contoller and wideband sensor can be one to plug in to the only one sensor hole my bike has. So there are 4 connections to imagine, PCIIIusb, LCD-100, WB1 and O2 controller. This might happen to Vintage too. How do they manage it?

Thanks alot.
Andy

I got a ITI tach off e-bay and installed on wifes 03-04 Stone, the wire is there on the left side, been so long can't remember color, seems to me there was a single wire with simple blade connector, The only problem I have with the set up is as soon as the key is turned on(engine not running) the tach reads 1000 rpm,I dodn't know if I'm picking up stray voltage from insturment wiring or where, but the tach works it just reads about 1000 off, compared to riding next to my EV in same gear matched speed. I've thought about finding a resistor to place in line to knock it back to 0 but I'm afraid it might mess up the ECU so I haven't played with it anymore.
If you want I'll look at the bike this weekend and I may have a picture of the wire or I'll take one to send you.
Contact me @
mdb@gctel.com and I'll send you the pictures.
Dave Butler

AndyOyamadaZ said:
Is it optional to get the cable to connect PCIIIusb, LCD-100 and WB1? not bundled with LCD-100 or WB1?
And there is a conflicting problem.
Andy, the cable to interface all three, PCIII, WBC & LCD is available separately. If you want, I have a used WBC that I've taken off of my Jackal that I can offer you for a great deal less money... but if you want new, I can help you with that as well. Let me know direct e-mail.

You have told me that Dyno makes an optional O2 controller but I wish these O2 sensor contoller and wideband sensor can be one to plug in to the only one sensor hole my bike has. So there are 4 connections to imagine, PCIIIusb, LCD-100, WB1 and O2 controller. This might happen to Vintage too. How do they manage it?
If you are using the 02-controller from Dynojet, the OEM sensor/lambda does *not* have to be in the exhaust... and you can insert the WBC Bosch lambda in it's place. Make sense?

drdwb said:
If you want I'll look at the bike this weekend and I may have a picture of the wire or I'll take one to send you.
Contact me @mdb at gctel.com and I'll send you the pictures.
Dave, please send me the photos and notes direct e-mail, and I'll host everything here. Todd at GuzziTech.com

Hi, sorry for leaving here for so long. I found a tacho wire underneath the main frame pipe. The color was Yellow-Black. And now I connected Daytona Tacho meter, that has a pulse timing switch. It was strange that the pulse timing was 2 times in 1 revolution. That was for 2 stroke bikes. Instruction says ECU controlled bikes are 1 time in 2 revolution normally. I have add an AF meter for car too:p

Attachments

• tachowire.jpg
    tachowire.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 231
  • CA3C0003.JPG
    CA3C0003.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 231
Back