• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thoughts on crash bars? How many have them?

oceanluvr30

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Saw a V7 with crash bars and they looked pretty good but was wondering how many actually have them on their bike and are they really worth it. No one intends to drop their bike but......

My Breva came with the engine protection bars (I assume these are what you're referring to). From the scrape on one of them it's obvious that they served their purpose. If they hadn't been fitted I would certainly have put them on myself - those two pots sticking out the side strike me as a wee bit vulnerable.

I fitted "crash bars" to my previous bike (Tiger), as I was concerned with the bike falling over and damaging panels and engine covers. The one time I needed them I low-sided the bike at 90 kms/hr (hit something slippery on a wet road and down we went). The bike slid a fair way down the bitumen, sliding on the crash bar. Although there was damage, I rode the bike for several hundred kms. back home. I'm quite sure that without the crash bars the bike wouldn't have been ride-able.

If I knew that I would never come off, or drop the bike, then I wouldn't bother with them, but me being me I'm sure I'll need them one day.

Plus they're a handy place to mount extra lights (although I still haven't figured out how to mount my twin air horns on the Breva).

I have the Hepco-Becker on my wife's 07 Griso...
She wrecked it last Winter and it definitely saved the left jug.
So yeah, it's a good investment on a Guzzi.

All my bikes have either crash bars or head guards. Unfortuantely I use them about once a decade or so :(

Even have them on my sidecar rig, left overs from her single days.

Hi,

I have crash bars on my G12.
They had to do their work once... tiny touch down during braking...
Not to much damage, I repaired it and went on enjoying my G12.

Main crash bar which protects heads and cover.
Doesn't look bad also, fits the bike in a nice way.

This is doing it's job to protect a very expensive part.

Ad B

Attachments

• Griso1.jpg
    Griso1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Griso 2.jpg
    Griso 2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,389
I had OnYerBike put crash bars on my Breva 750, before it left the shop.
YES they are worth the money.
Cannot remember the name, but they bend around the cylinders, as opposed to the big wide tubes of yesteryear.
If the bike slides away from you in feks gravel, the bars prevent the bike from going all the way over.

Yes you can buy those fancy ALU cylinder protectors, but AFAIK they are more show than functional.
Think about it.
Drop the bike, and the ALU braces, take the hit, but, as they are directly bolted to the cylinder head ????
The stress is still going to be at the point where the cylinder meets the engine.
SS crash bars, transfer drop stress to the frame, and protect the cylinders .
OK devils advocate says, if you hit a lamp post, or a bear, crash bars are not going to save you from lots of pain !

Your Call

When I was riding the old loop frames in the 70's I hated the look of the crash bars until I hit a deer at 60 mph. Went down on the left side and skidded along the pavement grinding off half the diameter of the bar. The score was: 1 dead deer, 1 half dead crash bar, 1 complete whole & healthy leg. After that I liked how those crash bars looked.

That being said I don't have them on the the T or on the Black Eagle. Sometimes I wonder about myself.

I've just become the new owner of a Breva and of the accessories I was looking for to be included was center stand, screen, panniers and crash bars. I managed to get that list fulfilled.

As mentioned by motoguzziman earlier, I think the bars are better than the head plates and I think there are a few styles to chose from. My bars actually bolt to the head of the Breva 1100 and not the frame - but I'd prefer any than none at all.

Had them on all the Guzzis I had in the past since 1971, but not on my SPII. Wish I could find a set that would fit with the original tupperware in place.
JD

JayDeeca said:
but not on my SPII. Wish I could find a set that would fit with the original tupperware in place.

I installed aluminum head guards on my SP, may not be as effective at bars but it's better than nothing. Square fin head guards can be found at many MG retailers.

Yes, I have a set of head guards on the SP, powdercoated black (nice!) but I have also seen (somewhere) a 87 SPII like mine with the original lowers PLUS a set of front and rear crash bars. Not sure how it was accomplished, where he got such a set up, or if he built them himself. Ever seen such a set-up?

JD
Rafael said:
JayDeeca said:
but not on my SPII. Wish I could find a set that would fit with the original tupperware in place.

I installed aluminum head guards on my SP, may not be as effective at bars but it's better than nothing. Square fin head guards can be found at many MG retailers.

They are worth 5 times or more the cost if you have to use them, and no matter how good you are, you never know when that day will come, but it is a dam good bet it will.

Tested once, passed

IMG_0576.jpg

Unfortunately the 8V Griso is harder to protect. My own personal feeling is that most of the bars, most particularly the CARC bar, risk greater damage than not having them at all.

The CARC bar mounts on two small bolt flanges that the rear calliper bolts to. A goodly whack and it'll snap them off, quite likely doing more damage than the small scrape that might otherwise occur. Note that the CARC casings are not available as a separate part.

Pete

pete roper said:
.......... Note that the CARC casings are not available as a separate part..........

Pete

Good piece of info there...
And I agree about the CARC bar, I wouldn't want it on my bike for those reasons,

Back