Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Throttle Lag...

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by trialsn, Nov 16, 2015.

1. canuck1969

canuck1969 GT Reference GT Contributor

Has happened to some stelvio owners also. The torque spec in the manual was wrong and they were over tightening them. They would be riding along and all of a sudden one cylinder would go dead.

2. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Ok so the shop picked up my bike and kept it for a couple of days to re-create the issue. Just go the call...the issue was one of the valves was too tight, causing the engine to misfire when at extreme temperatures. Engine was scoped and no damage was done. O2 sensor will be replaced as well, which will fix the high idle.

Hopefully that's that!

3. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Fingers crossed, let us know how it does!

4. trialsn

I will report back as soon as he drops off my bike (hopefully in a couple of days) as he mentioned he was going to wet sand some scuffs out of the paint. My parking spot looks empty with just a car parked in it...

5. trialsn

The bike was dropped off yesterday. All is good. The bike has a more mechanical sound now.

6. canuck1969

That would be the properly adjusted valve clearances. As the saying goes…a tappy tappet is a happy tappet. It is when it is quiet that you have an issue. Suggest u grab a manual and any necessary tools and learn how to do the adjustment. Will give you peace of mind knowing it is done properly. Glad it worked out for you. Just in time for the snow.

7. trialsn

I'm slowly learning. I'll study the manual over the winter months.

Still time left for riding, 12 degrees next week!

black47 likes this.
  8. trialsn

Well it seems it's a little more complicated than re-adjusting the valves.

The bike is being picked up again to replace wiring that holds the spark plugs and whatever else may be causing the issue.

Glad this is happening now and not during peak riding season. I'll keep people posted as this thread should house the complete compendium of throttle issues haha.

9. canuck1969

Usually a bad plug wire will result in cutting out of one cylinder or skipping in the engine. Again, I hope this is the issue but it does not really fit your symptoms.

When they replace the plug wires, have them also replace the sparkplugs (and make sure they are the right temperature range/spec for the bike). If they damaged the plugs (ie. dropped) a mis-gapped plug will give you your lags in throttle. Don't have them re-gap the plug, ask for new ones. Failing that, may be a coil starting to go or the last suspect, a bad ECU/TPS. Would not be the first ECU that has been bricked. All it takes is a bad ground or someone hooking something up incorrectly or a bad map upload/check.

10. trialsn

Thanks for the tips. I told them to not return the bike until it's 100% fixed. The big thing is having them recreate the issue.

11. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Man, I hope they can get to the bottom of it soon! I hate that you took it in for the first service, and wound up with this problem. Hopefully it is a simple fix. A spark plug wire or loose connector. Appreciate your continued posts, best of luck on a successful resolution.

12. trialsn

At the very least, there will be a single thread with every conceivable option to resolve throttle lag.

The bike is being picked up tomorrow at noon. I'll provide updates as I get the information. Thanks to everyone who has helped out!

13. canuck1969

Any news back on your bike?

14. trialsn

The shop still has my bike. Told them to keep it until they are certain it's fixed (which is almost going on a month). I suspect that the length of time they've had the bike is due to the weather we've recently had (freezing temperatures and snow).

15. Motofoto

Motofoto Tuned and Synch'ed

I had a similar symptom happen to my bike when I first got it. I had the crazy bog/surge feeling on the way home. It was a plug wire cap. It was a loose connection, and I would go from running on one cylinder and then suddenly back to two. It had recently been serviced, and I'm guessing they were a little rough pulling the wires. The stock pieces are pretty fragile.

16. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

This is taking a long time to figure out the issue. If they can't figure it out this time, I would think the lemon law should kick in?

17. canuck1969

No lemon law in Canada....we just politely ask for our money back............:D

18. trialsn

As stated above, we do not have a lemon law. Regardless, I really don't think that it's at that point.

I did however manage to pop into the shop yesterday. I was pleased to see that my bike was stripped down to the frame. They are thoroughly checking everything...and I mean everything. Just waiting for warmer weather so they can take the bike out and ensure everything has been resolved (major reason why it's taking so long...winter in Canada).

19. trialsn

I'm told the lambda sensors were replaced as they were deemed the cause of all the issues I've experienced. Additionally, the "emissions stuff" (for a better lack of words) fell off during the time my bike was away. Runs perfectly now. Still not entirely sure how the lambda sensors caused the issue, but I'm told something was reading the temperature incorrectly, therefore starving the engine of fuel or dumping too much in.

Anyways, I'm glad that's over!

yvrider and BenRCMC like this.
  20. yvrider

yvrider Just got it firing!

Hey Chris,

I'm new to this and been getting the same issues as you, how is your bike now? Also when this was all happening, did you also notice that your bike not feeling like it had its full potential power in general? For me it just seems like it's gotten tame, struggling and stuttering after every gear change. Hope all is well now.