• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

UpMap Q&A

The error appears only after the upload is 100% complete. Anyone see this particular one before? Tried a number of times, rebooting the phone, unplugging/replugging the UpMap, bike off/on, etc. Same result each time so far.
Jason, sorry for the troubles. Most often when I ask them (which takes days + to reply), they often tell me it was a system "glitch" and to try again, which typically resolves it. I have not yet had any issues with those I've done in house. Thanks for posting, and send a direct email if the issue continues.

Thanks Todd, will do. I'm going to try again shortly because so far, I've been trying with the tank removed from the bike, and I'm thinking there is a _possibility_ that having those electrics unhooked may be enough to cause unexpected results with the new map. I'll let you know how it goes.

__Jason

Thanks Todd, will do. I'm going to try again shortly because so far, I've been trying with the tank removed from the bike, and I'm thinking there is a _possibility_ that having those electrics unhooked may be enough to cause unexpected results with the new map. I'll let you know how it goes.

__Jason
Thanks Jason, that is most likely they case. I think if the ECU sees any errors, it stops the process.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!

It turns out that it was user error (as we like to say, an ID:10T error) combined perhaps with wonky UI design on the UpMap side :p

When selecting a map (I went with the "Zard FD" for headers, de-cat and dB-killer) I _thought_ was looking at a list of US maps, but they jumble together US and EU maps with no apparent rhyme or reason to the sort order, and of course... I inadvertently grabbed the EU version of the map. Realized my problem, got the correct map ($$$ LOL @ expensive mistake) and that one flashed up A-OK.

Hoping this map works well enough for the exhaust setup I have now. It certainly can't be worse than the OEM map, I'm thinking. Now... to go see how it goes...

Hopefully others can learn from my silly mistake.

__Jason

A wise cabinet maker once told me, “Measure 3 times, then cut once”. 😀
Haha! Yeah, I actually checked out the various files numerous times before I "purchased" one because I wanted to make sure I got the right one. But... notice how they present the list to the app:
V85 21 US OEM
V85 21 US ZARD SO
V85 21 EU OEM N ZARD
V85 21 EU ZARD FD
V85 21 EU ZARD FR
V85 21 US OEM N ZARD
V85 21 US ZARD FD
V85 21 US ZARD VR
They sneak those EU versions right in the middle of the US list. Nice sort! It was a trap! LOL

Hey! Super Kudos for being lighthearted about your mistake! That’s classy.

I make mistakes too and I respect people who acknowledge that they don’t walk on water. 😉

Glad you got it sorted. How does it work?

So far, I like it. Despite the map not being specifically for my choice of exhaust, it seems to work just fine. As another mentioned upthread when they did theirs, I get a small amount of occasional decel popping (SAS deleted), but not excessive at all. The only issue is that for a brief few seconds when I was out last night, I had the CEL blink at me, and then shortly after that, the "brakes are stuck" warning came on then went away. Hoping just a transient glitch, but will keep an eye on it. Was able to pull the CEL codes with the UpMap - 2 errors: 1 for random misfire detected and 1 for a misfire detected on a specific cylinder (don't recall which offhand). Again, those came and went early on in the ride, and that was it.

__Jason

So far, I like it. Despite the map not being specifically for my choice of exhaust, it seems to work just fine. As another mentioned upthread when they did theirs, I get a small amount of occasional decel popping (SAS deleted), but not excessive at all. The only issue is that for a brief few seconds when I was out last night, I had the CEL blink at me, and then shortly after that, the "brakes are stuck" warning came on then went away. Hoping just a transient glitch, but will keep an eye on it. Was able to pull the CEL codes with the UpMap - 2 errors: 1 for random misfire detected and 1 for a misfire detected on a specific cylinder (don't recall which offhand). Again, those came and went early on in the ride, and that was it.

__Jason

The popping can be minimized by rolling off the throttle smoothly which allows the ECU time to work down the map uniformly. When you let the throttle snap closed, you go form a dynamic condition to a static idle condition, and the popping is actually amplified significantly by this condition. Try it. You will see what I am talking about.

As to your CEL codes about misfires. It has been my experience, that misfire errors are usually the telltale sign of a poor battery condition. I would check you battery by LOAD TESTING it. IF it passes, you probably just have lower than expected voltage in the battery and I highly recommend the use of a battery maintenance charger of 4 amps. I have this in my workshop and also on my 8 motorcycles. I wrote about this here... Enjoy! Thanks for the update and information.

Last edited:
The popping can be minimized by rolling off the throttle smoothly which allows the ECU time to work down the map uniformly. When you let the throttle snap closed, you go form a dynamic condition to a static idle condition, and the popping is actually camplified significantly by this condition. Try it. You will see what I am talking about.

As to your CEL codes about misfires. It has been my experience, that misfire errors are usually the telltale sign of a poor battery condition. I would check you battery by LOAD TESTING it. IF it passes, you probably just have lower than expected voltage in the battery and I highly recommend the use of a battery maintenance charger of 4 amps. I have this in my workshop and also on my 8 motorcycles. I wrote about this here... Enjoy! Thanks for the update and information.

Yeah, the popping is fairly trivial - really only happens on aggressive downshifting, as you suggest.

As for the misfire info, I'll keep an eye on that. Note that while connected, the UpMap displays a voltage read-out in the app, which is handy. I'm looking to take off on a Blue Ridge trip next week, so I'm going to put as many miles on between now and then as I can to see if there are any gremlins lurking.

I somewhat have the opinion that part of the problems with modern bikes is too many damn sensors! I'm not logging analytics to win races, nor am I trying to land on the moon. I just want to ride my bike, and I feel like many of the new sensors are just one more thing to fret over. At any rate, will monitor. Thanks for the info, Scott.

__Jason

Jason,

I am glad to know that the system lets you read error codes. I have no plans to modify the exhaust or evaporative emission systems so I will likely want the 21 US OEM map (or, hopefully a GTM map in the future), but I am now planning to purchase the UpMap so that I have a way to read/clear DTC's when I am not near a dealer. I am following this thread and hope to see some confirmation that the device and application can both read and clear DTC's. I will also be looking for a map that is suitable for stock 2021 with K&N air filter (maybe even with air box cover modifications for more air flow).

Gerry - I believe that some errors may be erasable. In the case of the errors I saw, they were explicitly NOT erasable (the app displays "Erasable: no" on the error details, so presumably there are cases where the it IS erasable, othwise why even mention it). The errors I saw were transient, though... the CEL only flashed briefly and then went away, so not something that really needed to be erased anyhow. The app interface does have a "trash" icon in the CEL error section, but I've not had an opportunity to see how that works. My assumption is that its the ECU that dictates whether or not a particular error is erasable or not, but I'm not certain. And hopefully, I won't have any more errors so I won't be able to find out LOL

__Jason

Gerry - I believe that some errors may be erasable. In the case of the errors I saw, they were explicitly NOT erasable (the app displays "Erasable: no" on the error details, so presumably there are cases where the it IS erasable, othwise why even mention it). The errors I saw were transient, though... the CEL only flashed briefly and then went away, so not something that really needed to be erased anyhow. The app interface does have a "trash" icon in the CEL error section, but I've not had an opportunity to see how that works. My assumption is that its the ECU that dictates whether or not a particular error is erasable or not, but I'm not certain. And hopefully, I won't have any more errors so I won't be able to find out LOL

__Jason
Thanks for the feedback. I will watch this thread and look for information updates on their web site for a while before ordering (from GTM if I decide to go forward). So far, it is the best option I have found for at least being able to read DTC's.

This might be a stupid question, humour me! once You download and install a map, do your riding “modes” no longer work? - up
Map on order euro 4 V85tt

I gave my bike a good run yesterday a couple hundred miles and I don't have pure high test gas in it yet, but I was getting a little ping/knock under hard acceleration. The engine light would flash for a couple seconds then it would go out. I think it's fuel related so once I get a good full tank of high test l will report back.

Interesting... I wonder if those are the same "misfire detected" errors that I saw on mine the other day.

__Jason

I just did a good run 150 miles of dirt roads and back roads with my V85TT Euro 5 bike with the first zard up map installed. I wish I could keep the traction control off... What a difference! GTM has the work cut out for them. I did a short review on my YouTube channel ZAP59
Your YouTube video was the reason I ordered an upmap, Stupid question but are rider modes disabled once you flash the ecu and download your preferred map?

Stupid question but are rider modes disabled once you flash the ecu and download your preferred map?
Seems you’re ignoring me, and won’t search, so I’ll post it again just for you: Ride modes will NEVER change with fuel mapping revisions.

Back