• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

UpMap Q&A

Note that while connected, the UpMap displays a voltage read-out in the app, which is handy.

I keep writing about this but it doesn’t seem to sink in.

Batteries have voltage, but more importantly, they have amperage and their behavior when subjected to load.

Your UpMap is a “dumb” device in that it just reads the surface voltage across the terminals. You can have a battery read 12V that way, but when you begin to place demand on that battery to supply power to crank over the engine, or drive the multitude of electronic stuff hanging off many bikes these days, they battery will fail badly and cause these weird electrical “gremlins”.

A “Load Test” is a performance test of the battery to check behavior during this load draw phase, which gives you the true actual condition of the battery.

In your case, with unusual CEL errors like misfires, which are rare for a newer motorcycle, then this can be a telltale sign of looming battery failure.

It’s a simple check with the right equipment at an auto parts store, for example, which often times, will load test your battery for free for you.

Good luck and have a great and safe trip!

Your YouTube video was the reason I ordered an upmap, Stupid question but are rider modes disabled once you flash the ecu and download your preferred map?

Although this was well covered and all you had to do was SEARCH and read as Todd has told you, I like to teach people to THINK about what is actually happening underneath their balls, while riding on a motorcycle.

Understanding what is happening, is the key.

Fuel injection”maps” alter one thing, the DURATION the fuel injector is OPEN. This changes the amount of fuel being squirted into the intake. Maps seek to optimize air:fuel ratios.

Ride modes, alter the RATE the throttle inputs are PROCESSED and ACTED UPON by the ECU. Instead of providing instant translation, the software “dampens” the response rate, and slows down the transition to a more gradual application of the throttle.

So in RAIN mode for example; a rapid whacking open of the throttle would normally put power to the wheels instantly, and there would be a loss of traction at the rear wheel, potentially causing fishtailing or other chassis instability. The RIDE MODE PROGRAM, intercepts this throttle signal and smooths it out to a more gradual application of the throttle.

Think “gentle roll on” vs. “whacked open instantly” and how the motorcycle would behave in these two very different situations.

The analogy I use is the throttle without riding modes, responds like a regular light switch; off/on, while the RIDE MODE software behaves like a dimmer switch that you turn uniformly and gradually. Both take you to the same place, one instantly and the other gradually!

So, you can mentally see, that these 2 very different components in your motorcycle design, affect two very different things entirely, and are not affected one by the other.

One other complication in the mix.

On very sophisticated systems like the modern BMW motorcycle with active suspensions, in the RIDE MODE, not only is the throttle signal dampened, the actual electronic suspension is also modified as well.

👌👍😀

Did my map tonight on a 2021 v85. A couple of points. So I wasted my free map on the EU version of what I needed. Surprise surprise, that won’t install on the bike and it will throw an error code. Lesson learned, don’t be that guy. After buying the correct US map, my iPhone wouldn’t stay paired with the device. That forced me to restart the app a few times. Finally, with my iPad, everything worked perfect. I haven’t started the bike yet as I am waiting for one more part of my exhaust to arrive from GTM, so let’s hope everything is well and my ECU is not poopy.

Hahaha! Oh man... if you read up-thread, I warn against that EXACT mistake, which I made myself. Glad it's not just me... it really is an easy mistake to make given the way they designed their store interface.

__Jason

Thanks for the feedback guys. They have been so slow to respond to my simple requests, that I’m beyond frustrated… However, I’ll send a note now about this issue. The system shouldn’t allow a map purchase that cannot load, especially after you enter the VIN#. I’ll ask about some type of compensation to you two, and see what they say, but I don’t expect a timely reply.

It's amazing how crappy some people run their businesses. Truly.

It's just another kudos to Todd that he is trying his best to help Guzzisti even with this crap that isn't of his making.

Hahaha! Oh man... if you read up-thread, I warn against that EXACT mistake, which I made myself. Glad it's not just me... it really is an easy mistake to make given the way they designed their store interface.

__Jason
I read your warning and still managed to make the same mistake. They really do need a better way of laying those things out. What’s most frustrating…and makes me feel stupid lol…is when I selected the EU map, I checked everything to make sure it was the setup I needed etc and it said “this is compatible with your vehicle”. Yea…nope it wasn’t. Oh well, these things happen.

Last edited:
Yeah, same... I thought I was being very careful in selecting the map because I knew only the first one was free, and still managed to botch it and pick the EU one anyway.

__Jason

I am about to place an order for the device through Todd's store. I said I was following this thread to see how UpMap worked out because I wanted to get something to read diagnostic trouble codes. The issue just became high priority. I rode the bike about 50 miles (running errands locally) yesterday without incident except I thought I felt a very, very slight misfire a couple of times.

I tried to take it out this evening--it cranked longer than normal and stumbled after it started, but then seemed to settle down. Then it started running really rough, the check engine light came on, and the dash displayed "ALARM URGENT SERVICE" in red. It also automatically turned on the 4-way flashers and went into limp mode. The only way to stop the 4-way flashers after that happens is to turn the key off. I opened the fuel cap to equalize pressure since it had been sitting in the sun. I then tried restarting it several times and it would run a few seconds each time before the red alarm indicator turned on. The check engine light remained on even though the red alarm indicator would stay off for a few seconds after each restart. I pulled all of the fuses to try to reset the ECU, but no help. I eventually put it away in limp mode by revving the engine a bit and slipping the clutch. There was also some backfiring.

After putting my riding gear away, I thought about using an infrared thermometer to see if I could tell a difference in temperature between the two cylinders and headers. The right cylinder and header were only a few degrees above ambient temperature while the left side was 20-40F higher (depending upon where I aimed the thermometer) so I suspect the right side was not firing.

It is clearly under warranty so it will go to the dealer (need to arrange transportation since I cannot ride it across the Phoenix metro area in limp mode). I will order the UpMap interface unit so I can verify that it will read actual trouble codes before I take it to the dealer.

Fuel is the same as it was running on before (fresh fill a couple weeks ago). Since it is in limp mode, changing plugs would not help without a way to clear DTC’s. The only other thing I could try before I receive the UpMap module is completely disconnect the battery for a while, but removing all of the fuses should have reset the ECU.

This situation is why I want some way to read/clear DTC’s that I can keep with the bike. It may be just a glitch, but the bike is dead in its tracks until the codes are cleared. It may also be an actual sensor, ECU, injector, coil, or spark plug failure but it was running fine when I parked it.

I am glad this happened in my driveway and it will not be too difficult or expensive to transport it to the dealer. It would be much more than an inconvenience if it happened on a trip with the nearest dealer several hundred miles away.

I ordered the UpMap module from GTM and will try to read/clear codes before taking the bike to the dealer. Here is a photo of the dash.

Attachments

• 28DBC15E-7630-4DFC-BA7E-B524D2AFC8BC.jpeg
    28DBC15E-7630-4DFC-BA7E-B524D2AFC8BC.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If it is like 99% of the motorcycles I work on, I’m pretty certain that the ECU error codes live in non-volitile RAM on the main board, and if this is the case, then cutting all power to the ECU for a year, wouldn’t reset them.

Also, hasn’t this using the UpMap device to “reset error codes” on this motorcycle platform, been established as not possible? I thought I read that confirmed by somebody but as I don’t own this model, I cannot be 100% certain. In post 53, Todd talks about the trash can icon as being able to clear the codes. I don’t see anybody confirming this though.

Did you SEARCH this? Might be worth a go.

Good Luck!

👌👍😀

Last edited:
The errors I saw (the misfire ones) were not erasable, but that doesn't mean that no errors can be erased. Also, FWIW, I went back later to try and get a screen shot of the errors I had, and they were gone. This suggests to me that "minor" faults clear on their own after some period of time, and therefore don't need to be erased.

It remains to be seen whether or not a major fault such as Gerry's can be erased, which would hopefully get him out of limp mode, at least temporarily. Unless someone wanted to go in and deliberately induce a major fault in some way, Gerry may be the first V85 owner (at least in the US?) to have the opportunity to try and report back his findings.

__Jason

A question for @GTM perhaps: Todd, do you know of any pros/cons to simply leaving the device connected to the bike 100% of the time? It does seem to draw some current (LED is on when connected, regardless of bike being on or off), so there is that.

Unfortunately, there is not much available in the way of documentation that I've been able to find. The link on the UpMap website to download the T800 guide is broken and doesn't actually link to anything useful.

Edit to add: after some googling, I did find a source to the "upmap_user_guide_Rev1.pdf", but its not really what I hoped it would be. That guide is just a basic how-to on registering, connecting, and flashing your first map. There is zero info on any other product features or usage (like, managing error codes).

__Jason

Last edited:
Back