• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

UpMap Q&A

I received the adapter cable from Amazon today. My OBDII scan tool was able to connect to the bike and it displayed two DTC's: P1600 and P1602. It also indicated that P1602 was pending so a total of 3 errors. The scan tool surprised me by trying to connect as soon as I plugged it in. I let it go through its attempts to connect and then turned on the ignition key without trying to start the engine. The scanner then established communications and displayed the DTC's. These errors appear to be related to manifold pressure out of range.

I want to wait until I get the UpMap device so I can test its ability to read and clear diagnostic trouble codes, but don't yet have estimated delivery date. I may get impatient--try clearing the codes with the scan tool and then try starting the engine.

Last edited:
Here is my experience with UpMap on my GF's 2021 V7. The unit took a while to arrive but eventually got here in good shape. App was simple to download to my iPhone.

Connecting to the ECU was a little odd at first, but then when carefully watching Todd's video at the top of this thread, I noticed that at 1:21 where it says "this may take a while" he was sliding his finger around and seemed to touch the text at the top of the screen. This was what was necessary, I suppose it makes sense if you had multiple UpMaps connected to multiple bikes within Bluetooth range you would need to select it by tapping. Anyway, that was the biggest hiccup in the process.

For map selection, I suggest reading the descriptions carefully using a full-sized computer rather than on your phone. Since I'm running Todd's GTM exhaust which has some packing but no baffles, I used the V7 US SR map which was described as "DB killer removed" (i.e. no baffle). My assumption is this effects back pressure.

Map uploading was fast and easy. I've used several different software platforms to access motorcycle ECUs and this was definitely the most user-friendly, although it also has the least general utility for me. Basically just useful for remapping.

Bike runs great! After installing the GTM slip-on with the stock map, there was significant decel popping which is now greatly reduced. It also runs smoother and overall feels very sorted out. I have not yet installed the secondary air injection blocking plates, this will likely completely eliminate decel popping.

She's riding it in the DGR today and couldn't be happier!

These errors appear to be related to manifold pressure out of range.
I had this problem on my Triumph Tiger recently. After replacing the air filter it idled terribly and threw a code indicating manifold pressure. Turns out a tiny vacuum tube had fallen off while replacing the air filter cover. Put it back on and all was well. BTW replacing the air filter on a Tiger is a total PITA and requires removal off all the plastics, the tank, etc.

Not sure how it works on Guzzis but something to think about as a possibility.

Here is my experience with UpMap on my GF's 2021 V7. The unit took a while to arrive but eventually got here in good shape. App was simple to download to my iPhone.

Connecting to the ECU was a little odd at first, but then when carefully watching Todd's video at the top of this thread, I noticed that at 1:21 where it says "this may take a while" he was sliding his finger around and seemed to touch the text at the top of the screen.
Thanks for the post, and every order is followed with the words below. We're in frustratingly strange times right now with products.
The video I shot was literally the second time I used the software after a month prior to the very first time. I'm glad I did the video to l help others, as I also learned what needed to be done (including re-watching it several times since myself).
I remain in contact with UpMap in awaiting whatever hoops they want me to jump through next to be able to supply my maps, however they do not want me to make a penny off of my work, allowing them to sell it via the app. This remains a real problem for me as it's this knowledge/time and intellectual property that is the only value to me. They aren't allowing me to make any real money off of the device.

In these unprecedented times of post-COVID-19, worldwide shipping REMAINS affected at every level. Consequently, we are experiencing unanticipated and significantly longer delays from our suppliers, as they no doubt are also experiencing the same delays and challenges from theirs. Regrettably, the situation is beyond our control. We are all in this worldwide shipping frustration right now.

After replacing the air filter it idled terribly and threw a code indicating manifold pressure. Turns out a tiny vacuum tube had fallen off while replacing the air filter cover.
No Guzzi to date has had a MAP (Mass Airflow Pressure) sensor that I am aware of. I'll dig a bit deeper on the E5 models this week to check/verify.

No Guzzi to date has had a MAP (Mass Airflow Pressure) sensor that I am aware of. I'll dig a bit deeper on the E5 models this week to check/verify.
On the V7 III the MAP sensor is the same one used to measure atmospheric pressure.

The atmospheric pressure is memorized just before starting the engine and afterwards it is the depression at the throttle valve which is measured.

ECU

Attachments

• MAP.png
    MAP.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
On the V7 III the MAP sensor is the same one used to measure atmospheric pressure.
Thanks, yes, I meant external sensor (of which a hose can be left unconnected) like many other manufacturers like Triumph (and others).

I remain in contact with UpMap in awaiting whatever hoops they want me to jump through next to be able to supply my maps, however they do not want me to make a penny off of my work, allowing them to sell it via the app. This remains a real problem for me as it's this knowledge/time and intellectual property that is the only value to me. They aren't allowing me to make any real money off of the device.

So tuners have zero incentive to work with them. That’s… infuriating. It sounds like they want to funnel customers towards Zard, and limit competing options. Is Zard somehow affiliated with Termignoni?

__Jason

Todd,
I’m sorry UpMap is treating you so badly and hope there is resolution in your favor.

Curious if anyone else is noticing the occasional misfire errors after remapping yet, besides me. On my 1,800 mile trip this past week, it only popped up a few times - never “feeling” any problem. Seems to happen under heavy throttle.

Elsewhere, someone reported that they recently got the latest OEM flash by their dealer and then started noticing similar errors (unsure on exact code, though… but CEL behavior seems similar to what I see) so it may have nothing at all to do with UpMap.

Note that prior to installing the map I have now, I used UpMap to reflash (restore) the OEM map, which if I’m understanding correctly, actually downloads the latest OEM map - not necessarily the same map you started out with.

At any rate - bike seems fine.

Note also… I happen to have a V-Twin Boost dongle at my disposal which I may try out with the OEM map. I don’t particularly like the way the dongle works, but am willing to try it out in the name if science.

__Jason

My zard up map install is working fine the only problem I found is with fuel that isn't of the highest octane I get a little rattle in the engine and the engine light blinks for a moment.

My zard up map install is working fine the only problem I found is with fuel that isn't of the highest octane I get a little rattle in the engine and the engine light blinks for a moment.
Do you know if it is the same misfire codes that is triggering your CEL?

__Jason

@GTM® Todd, your post on the OBD thread reminded me if something I was wondering about: I don’t see an option specifically to reset the TPS on UpMap, but I’m assuming it is part of the flashing routine. Do you happen to know if that’s true or not? If so, reloading the map might be the only way to do a TPS reset.

__Jason

@GTM® Todd, your post on the OBD thread reminded me if something I was wondering about: I don’t see an option specifically to reset the TPS on UpMap, but I’m assuming it is part of the flashing routine. Do you happen to know if that’s true or not? If so, reloading the map might be the only way to do a TPS reset.
Yes, it is part of the process, and done with the key on/off step at the end.

Thanks for the post, and every order is followed with the words below. We're in frustratingly strange times right now with products.
The video I shot was literally the second time I used the software after a month prior to the very first time. I'm glad I did the video to l help others, as I also learned what needed to be done (including re-watching it several times since myself).

In these unprecedented times of post-COVID-19, worldwide shipping REMAINS affected at every level. Consequently, we are experiencing unanticipated and significantly longer delays from our suppliers, as they no doubt are also experiencing the same delays and challenges from theirs. Regrettably, the situation is beyond our control. We are all in this worldwide shipping frustration right now.
I can understand your frustration, it makes little sense from a tuner's business viewpoint. It seems like Rexxer's approach is far better if it worked with this ECU.

I also don't like their business model, buying a unit for every bike vs one unit and paying for the applicable maps.

On the Ducati side of things it seems Termi is by far the majority exhaust vender.

Seems you’re ignoring me, and won’t search, so I’ll post it again just for you: Ride modes will NEVER change with fuel mapping revisions.
Chill dude lol not everyone has hours to scroll this forum. However, I am currently doing this now lol thanks and I appreciate you answering my painfully annoying question.

Although this was well covered and all you had to do was SEARCH and read as Todd has told you, I like to teach people to THINK about what is actually happening underneath their balls, while riding on a motorcycle.

Understanding what is happening, is the key.

Fuel injection”maps” alter one thing, the DURATION the fuel injector is OPEN. This changes the amount of fuel being squirted into the intake. Maps seek to optimize air:fuel ratios.

Ride modes, alter the RATE the throttle inputs are PROCESSED and ACTED UPON by the ECU. Instead of providing instant translation, the software “dampens” the response rate, and slows down the transition to a more gradual application of the throttle.

So in RAIN mode for example; a rapid whacking open of the throttle would normally put power to the wheels instantly, and there would be a loss of traction at the rear wheel, potentially causing fishtailing or other chassis instability. The RIDE MODE PROGRAM, intercepts this throttle signal and smooths it out to a more gradual application of the throttle.

Think “gentle roll on” vs. “whacked open instantly” and how the motorcycle would behave in these two very different situations.

The analogy I use is the throttle without riding modes, responds like a regular light switch; off/on, while the RIDE MODE software behaves like a dimmer switch that you turn uniformly and gradually. Both take you to the same place, one instantly and the other gradually!

So, you can mentally see, that these 2 very different components in your motorcycle design, affect two very different things entirely, and are not affected one by the other.

One other complication in the mix.

On very sophisticated systems like the modern BMW motorcycle with active suspensions, in the RIDE MODE, not only is the throttle signal dampened, the actual electronic suspension is also modified as well.

👌👍😀
Thank you kind sir! Really do appreciate your reply. You have cleared up all my questions! Cheers 🙏🏻

First of all I must say that on my euro 4 85tt the upmap US link pipe/ zard pipe reflash has done exactly what the description said in the store. 4000kms in and I’m still a happy camper. The question I have is this … I ride two up and the old lady is getting a little bothered by my new brap brap sounding loud pipes (yes I know boys) instead of shoveling out the 110
Euros for the tune with just the stock pipe/ link pipe, will
My current tune freak out with the stock slip on re installed ? I tried to find someone who had a similar question in the forum, without luck so I’m posting the question now. Cheers! My initial thoughts is it should be fine maybe a bit rich?

It will run rich.

If you intend to run it with the stock pipe all of the time now, purchase the correct map.

Your engine will thank you for it and your wallet won’t really miss the €110.

Back