• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 Tech Talk

I'm with you, I wish it was otherwise but at least they have kept the 2 piece rods
OK, I thought you were debating me on ease of the old BB motor. That was simply my point, and that I'm disappointed in the new design for mechanics (in time), and selfishly for big bore upgrades.

OK, I thought you were debating me on ease of the old BB motor. That was simply my point, and that I'm disappointed in the new design for mechanics (in time), and selfishly for big bore upgrades.
Well a Guzzi now is a different beast to 20 years ago, same as a Ducati. I walk into a Ducati showroom now as an owner of 40 years and many many Ducatis and I dont belong, and my newest one is a 2009 model. The demographic has changed for both. Oh you'll obviously be overjoyed that there is 3 cam drive tensioners now as well. You can't have too many cam chain drive tensioners in my experience, lol.
I'll still be waiting a few years yet for the design to mature and all the must have now early adopters to finish off the R&D for me. That generally takes around 4 years.

Phil

Hmmm, but most air cooled aircraft engines have their heads and barrels in 1 piece. I don't see the intergrated barrel/block being such a bad thing, particularly given that they're using sleeves. What could be an issue down the track is whether or not they're wet sleeves - who's owned an older Alpha Romeo?
My Cessna 210 had chrome cylinders (Continental IO-520A engine). The barrel and cylinder was supplied as an assembly, however the cylinder overhaul shop could separate them. Not sure what type equipment it took.
My 1956 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider had wet liners. A large displacement kit was available which included liners, pistons and rings. The liners were seated in the block using o-rings. This upgrade did not require any special equipment.

FMerlino

Anybody know the valve clearance adjustment intervals? As well as how this is gonna be different compared to 850 motor.
No but they'd be pretty long I'd imagine. I'd be disappointed if they didn't go 25,000klm between checks and should do more. The engine in my 2.3 litre twin cam turbo car with adjustment via varying the thickness of the valve buckets has no scheduled valve adjustment interval for the life of the engine. It's direct mechanical cam lobe on valve bucket so no hydraulic bucket like a Mazda engine and no need to ever do the clearances. And thank god for that because getting the cams out to do it is a major, major job. Interestingly looking at the new Guzzi engine it looks like all that will be required is to have the engine at TDC on combustion stroke and remove the circlip retaining the rocker arms pivot pin, remove the pin and rockers, fit the appropriate shim and re fit the pin and arms. Looks very easy.

Phil

Another thought on the engine construction and maintenance triggered by a poster on another forum. The pistons should be able to be removed by dropping the sump plate and removing the big end caps and removing the pistons and rods from the top after the head has been removed, same as an automotive engine. The sleeve can also be removed from the top as well so the "in frame" big bore kit upgrade is still an option I think as is std piston and cylinder sleeve replacement.

Phil

Matt, Phil,
I'm not sure of the valve service interval but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 12000km's.
The extract from a brochure I found on the web shows servicing options every 12000km's after initial 1500 service

Attachments

• Mandello-V100-Brochure-2023-21.pdf
    809.2 KB · Views: 25
The pistons should be able to be removed by dropping the sump plate and removing the big end caps and removing the pistons and rods from the top after the head has been removed, same as an automotive engine. The sleeve can also be removed from the top as well so the "in frame" big bore kit upgrade is still an option I think...
I need to see the service manual to see if the sump is sealed (around the base of the crank), same as the small blocks. The PDF doesn't clearly show. If so, what you "think" would not be possible.

I need to see the service manual to see if the sump is sealed (around the base of the crank), same as the small blocks. The PDF doesn't clearly show. If so, what you "think" would not be possible.
In images of the crankcases and other major engine components there is a separate sump bolted onto the lower crankcase. So it appears that you can simply remove the lower sump assembly and rotate the crank big end to the six o clock position and the rod big ends will be about 4 inches up in the hole. The rear main seal on the crank won't be involved. I don't have an image of the internals of the lower crankcase half so unless they have cast a windage tray into it that prevents access to the rod bolts without separating the cases it should be straight forward.

Phil

Matt, Phil,
I'm not sure of the valve service interval but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 12000km's.
The extract from a brochure I found on the web shows servicing options every 12000km's after initial 1500 service
Sounds about right for the servicing. Be interesting to see the valve checking intervals although as I mentioned it doesn't look like it will be a big deal to service them anyway.

Phil

I just got ahold of the parts PDF for the V100 (now in the DOWNLOADS section), and I saw my first major disappointment with the engine. The cylinders are part of the engine cases, which if any of those here know of the past failures of some of the other major brands using this "design" (Honda VTR-1000 is one), it's never a good ending, Hopefully Guzzi is far smarter than Honda with durability. Also, this makes it NEARLY impossible for easy bigger displacement options. They moved the alternator rearward (behind the throttle bodies), but it does look to be of the same spec as the CARC models, which is a plus. The vast majority of the fuel tank looks to be the air box, which was another concern since I haven't seen capacity specs yet, and it looks like the tank is plastic and resides behind the air box. I has hoping for more clever placement.
I'm still buying one of course. ;)

View attachment 27396

View attachment 27397

View attachment 27399

View attachment 27398

View attachment 27395
Hi ,how do I get access to pdf parts list,hoping to get white one but will needmpw pillion test rest extension parts and will need pillion footrest part number to see if it's is compatible with say a breva etc

Anybody know the valve clearance adjustment intervals? As well as how this is gonna be different compared to 850 motor.
The maintenance schedule calls for valve checks at every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) (oil service every 7500 miles, 12000km)
And it is very different from an 850 motor as it is overhead cams with finger followers and shims

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether or not valve adjustment is a cam out job or whether the shims can be fished out? To me it makes a big difference in whether or not I’m interested. Obviously it’s not going to be as straightforward as the air cooled OHV jobs if it has shims however they are removed/replaced. Does it have a normal canister oil filter?

And are they Guzzi specific shims?
I have just looked the part no up for one of the shims on the off chance it was an existing Aprillia part but nothing was returned so looks to be specific.
Does anyone know whether or not valve adjustment is a cam out job or whether the shims can be fished out? To me it makes a big difference in whether or not I’m interested. Obviously it’s not going to be as straightforward as the air cooled OHV jobs if it has shims however they are removed/replaced. Does it have a normal canister oil filter?
I have not had the rocker covers off yet but looking at the parts diagrams it would suggest the cams are on top of the finger follower so the cams would have to come out and the belt pulleys are bolted directly to the cam unlike a BMW boxer where the pulleys stay in place and you can just lift the cams out but as I say I have not had the covers off.

Oh fun. Thanks for this info Al. Time for me to dig in as they (theoretically) should start arriving late January here. Will you be doing your own service?
I need to order a handful of each either side of most installed. Oh the game begins!

it has a similar oil filter arrangement as the small blocks, Cover and an open filter
Oh fun. Thanks for this info Al. Time for me to dig in as they (theoretically) should start arriving late January here. Will you be doing your own service?
I need to order a handful of each either side of most installed. Oh the game begins!
I will be entrusting the servicing to a local dealer, I have an older small block should I wish to get my hands dirty

There are 70 shims listed from 1.77 up to 3.50 at .02 -.03 increments I am assuming mm . it will be interesting to see what tolerance they specify for the gap.

Back