• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V11 Sport speedo drive

Cikko

Just got it firing!
I'd like to ask for some help on a daft situation I found this morning..... speedo drive falling out of the gearbox end - is there a cap missing or something more functional that holds the worm drive in place?

I'm a bit confused as its been great to ride.

Stu

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230624_141914_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20230624_141914_resized.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_20230624_141920_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20230624_141920_resized.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 5
Not sure what you’re asking.
What year? They changed the design on the newer models. Parts aren’t available, only whole unit.

I'd like to ask for some help on a daft situation I found this morning..... speedo drive falling out of the gearbox end - is there a cap missing or something more functional that holds the worm drive in place?

I'm a bit confused as its been great to ride.

Stu
Check the parts manual for your bike. If you upgrade your account you can access it in the Downloads. see;

Not sure what you’re asking.
What year? They changed the design on the newer models. Parts aren’t available, only whole unit.
The problem is - the V11 Sport is a 2002 and has been great. I had water ingress in the tacho clock and so disconnected the speedo head thinking I needed to remove the whole black plastic protector from the rear of the 2 clocks.
Then realised I didn't need to do that and put the speedo cable back into the speedo head.

Later I used the bike and had no speedo - the white plastic worm drive was protruding out of the black plastic "gearbox end" drive adapter.

Prior to this - I had no issues with speedo. Never noticed what the gearbox end speedo drive adapter looked like - whether or not it has a cap at the bottom to prevent the worm drive escaping OR if the adapter has a circlip or something to preventing it dropping down?

If I push this drive back in the speedo works as normal until the worm drive falls out.

I need to know what it's supposed to look like. I've sen new pattern parts complete for sale on ebay. Daft to buy a new complete part if the only thing is a modification to prevent the worm drive falling out.

Can you help please? Maybe I could take a futher shot of the complete assembly and the worm drive hanging out?

Stu :)

There are retaining threaded collars on both ends of the cable which threads onto the back of the Speedo. You should see threads there where the worm gear fell out.

Carefully follow the cable down towards the motorcycle and you will eventually find it slid down there someplace most likely. If it is not there, you need a new cable.

IMG 1424

Last edited:
Thank you so much to all replies.

I think its a cap or circlip or something simple missing off the end of the 60 degree drive.

I've taken a few more shots....

It's worked perfectly until I disconnected the cable from the speedo head and now the worm is falling out.... there's no obvious way to hold it in without a cap?

The speedo needle works if I spin the cable at this gearbox end.... so def no fault there.

So the issue is new and worked perfectly before.... I can't find any cap or anything on the floor....

Stu :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230626_080311_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20230626_080311_resized.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail_20230626_080322_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20230626_080322_resized.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail_20230626_080358_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20230626_080358_resized.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6
You need a new speedometer Drivegear and probably a new cable.

The original part numbers are:

Cable: GU01760490

60 degree drivegear: GU04768300

However, MG Cycle has a revised all in one cable.

IMG 0243

Last edited:
I can get the updated cable in 7~10 business days. If interested, I'll put it online for purchase, or better yet, email me via the STORE site link above.
The 60 degree drive is also still available (~$90), but I don't recommend it.

Back