Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V7/9 Fuel Filter Replacement How-To

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Aug 22, 2019.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Run your tank low or drain as we did for the video below.
    For the record, the half plastic/half metal filter failures (shown below) has nothing to do with ethanol, though not debatable that it makes it far worse for a short service life.
    The manufacturer, Mahle, states it is was only designed for use with diesel fuel, and on no account should it be immersed gasolene.
    We offer our all metal version here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters -- or you can use many others.

Plastic separated from metal - leaving the bike stranded.
    FuelFilter-Split.jpg

V700Steve, Poppe, Bill Hagan and 3 others like this.
  2. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

Nice job. But you cut out the F words.

3. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

LOL, I wonder how much time was cut out to make it look like it only took a few seconds to remove the filter/pump unit?

4. GT-Rx®

None. We just pulled the bolts. But keep in mind guys, this is my shop where we've done it countless times. We were asked to give a video to show it, so we did. Welcome.

Satch, Poppe, roadscum and 2 others like this.
  5. Mayakovski

No insult intended, you folks do great work and it is muchly appreciated. I just have a hard time watching someone pop that out is a few seconds when I have fought with mine for literally hours and still not yet succeeded. Will try again after next weeks small trip.

Thanks Again.

6. PokeyGuzzi

PokeyGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

This is great. I've been putting off replacing the fuel filter, but now that I have a better idea of what's involved, I'll feel a lot better about doing it. I could love to see more of this type of content on here. I think more people might buy parts like full exhausts, SAS kits, LED headlights, TTK, etc... if they saw how easy it is to install themselves. A quick, concise, and clear video showing steps involved would save people who don't have much experience from needing to spend hours reading through forums and asking questions. Plus, monetize those videos on youtube. I'd sit through a 10 second ad to watch some clear instructions for whatever $50-$1500 part it I'm planning to order.

avlis, GT-Rx® and Mayakovski like this.
  7. lucydad

lucydad Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Pretty cool... no problems with my V7 III Special at four thousand miles... knock on wood

8. Mayakovski

Same with my Anniversario at 5200 KM. Mind you I have never put anything but Ethanol free fuel in the tank. The filter is still pristine and white.

9. GT-Rx®

Not a matter of if, matter of when. ;)
    See revised words on top post. Just FYI.

Bill Hagan likes this.
  10. Mayakovski

Interesting, I will try replacement again soon. I wonder why at 5200 KM my filter looks like new, pristine white with no discoloration or swelling at all.

11. lucydad

Makes me wonder... I will ask Mike Haven to check gas filter at service this fall. My old 2012 V7R went 17K miles with no fuel filter change.
    Did Luigi in Mandello drink too much cheap chianti and put this current filter in the tanks?

12. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

It remains a mystery why MG chose this filter, Mahle KL150, which the manufacturer clearly states is intended for diesel, not gasoline. I replaced the one on my V7(I) with an all-metal Mahle KL145. Unfortunately, the diameter of the KL145 was a bit larger than that of the KL-150, and I couldn't get the assembled unit back into the tank unless I removed the Zip-tie that holds the filter against the pump. So, then I had a different worry, theat the filter would eventually shake itself loose in the tank.

We really don't know what the failure rate is, or if any or all of the reported failures were due to defective manufacture. For my current V7II, I'm choosing to wait until the half-plastic filter fails. I've put on over 30,000 mi. and there's still no problem with it. But, I did buy a replacement filter kit here at Todd's online store and I keep it in a saddle bag in case I need it some day.

lucydad likes this.
  13. SMTCapeCod

SMTCapeCod Just got it firing! GT di Razza Pura

Donating, in part due to this vid and the one on regular service- hadn't done valve lash on MG before and seeing it done lifts the impediment- thanks for making these additional vids on the basics/DIY for newer models.

V700Steve and GT-Rx® like this.
  14. lucydad

My filter was swollen and about to pop! Mike Haven fixed me up. Mileage on my V7 III Special was 4100 miles...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  15. Satch

Satch Just got it firing!

As a new owner of a 2017 V 7 iii Special, I really appreciate this type of how-to video by an expert! I plan on replacing mine soon. I would rather use the Oetiker clamps but don't really want to buy the clamp pliers for a one-time use. Does anyone know a trick to crimp theses clamps without the special Oetiker tool?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    RAYT and Mayakovski like this.
  16. RAYT

RAYT Tuned and Synch'ed

This is what I found, looks simple enough.

17. SheikRamzi

SheikRamzi Just got it firing! GT Contributor

Never pass up a good excuse to buy a new tool!

18. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

You will use it more than once. Some of the clamps from factory you can slide apart but you need a tool to get them properly back together. I got a cheap one from auto parts store and took off the moveable center piece.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tools-ear-type-cv-joint-boot-clamp-pliers-for-all-ear-type-clamps-including-gm-fwd-outboard-cv-joints-also-ideal-for-installing-clamps-fuel-filters-w83013/11957869-p