• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Fork Upgrade

bdcfe

Tuned and Synch'ed
I recently replaced the stock shocks with a pair of progressively wound Ikons on my 2013 V7S. It was a tremendous improvement over stock, but the fork is still too soft for my tastes and my, uh, American build.

The problem is I seem to have Kaifa forks. It definitely isn't an "M" stamped into the stanchions, and I suppose it's a "K" if you squint a bit. All of the fork spring upgrades out there seem to be designed for Marzocchi forks. Any options available for Kaifa forks?

Perhaps this was a question better posed directly to Todd via email, but I think the fork could really be improved with a progressive set of springs.

Thanks

Rather than replace the forks, people have used cartridge emulators to upgrade performance. A search should produce an old thread, unless system upgrades have deleted it.

I've successfully installed the fork kits (springs and emulators) on the 2013 (non-Marz) forks. Only the oil level differs. Happy to get you the kit... Yes, it makes a huge difference, especially after the rear shocks are correct.
Email me direct for info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

I've been trying to determine, without disassembling anything, whether my 2013 V7 Stone has Marzocchi or Kaifa shocks installed. I've read that there is a M or K stamped somewhere on the fork assembly, indicating which, but I sure haven't been able to find any such stamping. Would someone kindly explain exactly where to look? Thanks, Sam

Does anyone know the proper oil level for the v7 stone kaifa forks (#mm air gap as measured from the top of the fork to the top of the oil?

Joe

Does anyone know the proper oil level for the v7 stone kaifa forks (#mm air gap as measured from the top of the fork to the top of the oil?

On a stock Kaifa-equipped V7 with OEM fork internals, as per the manual, it is 120mm.

However, once you start changing things to better suit your weight and riding style, this number becomes an important tuning variable. In [popular] theory, the air gap only affects that last portion of the fork's travel -- like a tunable progressive bump-stop. In practice though, the air gap can affect the fork action all through the stroke -- it all depends. Mupo with their kit for Kaifa forks, for instance, recommend 140mm, and that's with their emulator in place...

The point is this is something one can (and perhaps should) experiment with when fine-tuning the forks. Put everything together as recommended by the supplier, set the sags right, ride, feel, measure the max travel you get on harsh bumps. Then maybe adjust the gap to suit...

And one can't emphasize enough how important is what Todd says about the shock action: it's got to match the forks. It would be futile to try to perfect the forks if the shocks are way off. As always, measuring sags and setting up what you have provides you with a baseline on which to change things or leave it alone.

Thanks for the information! There is definitely a lot to learn.

I just purchased the Racetech Suspension Bible to help get me started!

Interestingly, what I find most difficult for me, is to tell exactly what is occurring when I go over the large bumps. Can't tell if it is an issue with the forks or not. For example, the forks hit, but don't rebound fast enough before the back hits, etc.

Hard to troubleshoot and fix when I am not sure exactly what is occurring.

Does anyone know the difference between the Matris fork kit, the Mupo fork kit, and the Racetech emulators for the v7 kaifa forks?

Looks like the Matris kit only includes a preload adjustment and a new spring specific to your weight?

Do the Mupo and Racetech have emulators, but the Matris does not??

Why not ask direct. Matris is only for the Kaifa. Mupo and RT is only for the Marzocchi. The Matris Kit has a drop in damper spacer that is the emulator, and it works quite well. Both the Matris and the Mupo are better then the RT Kit as to ease of installation, and function/end result.

I just thought many would benefit from the question, since there are so many threads around the forks. I've seen lots of folks with the emulators which seem pretty pleased with the results, and it seems as though the RaceTech's have lots of adjustability (hi-lo compression, rebound, etc.), where the Matris kit looks really good for the preload adjustments, but little to no adjustment for the damping / compression.

I just thought many would benefit from the question, since there are so many threads around the forks. I've seen lots of folks with the emulators which seem pretty pleased with the results, and it seems as though the RaceTech's have lots of adjustability (hi-lo compression, rebound, etc.), where the Matris kit looks really good for the preload adjustments, but little to no adjustment for the damping / compression.
Fair enough. I've been using emulators for more then 25 years, and they work quite well when dialed in. Downside is a timely installation (drilling the stock damper rods mainly), and the only adjustability is manually increasing or decreasing the spring tension on the shim stack, and oil weight, which means partially pulling the forks apart each time to set the valves. There is no external adjustability, and they are not high/low variable.
The two Italia kits I offer are drop-in (no drilling required), and while the Mupo kit is adjustable in the same way the RT's are, I haven't touched any I've installed. I use it on the RentAGuzzi V7R, and it's quite amazing. I have a video of the ride quality in the post/video HERE at the bottom.
The Matris kit is a pre-set valve, and I've been highly impressed (as have others) on how well it works, and the Matris kit offers easy spring preload tuning, where-as the others do not.

Todd, did you use the 60mm recommended air gap for the Matris kit that you've had such good luck with?

Back