Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

V7 III - Has arrived

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Jul 25, 2016.

1. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Anyone notice the stock passenger pegs on the racer?

2. simplyzach

simplyzach Just got it firing!

I'm looking to buy my first V7, and I really want the ABS. That's means I need to decide between the II and the new III. I can save some money going with the II, but I have reservations about investing in a model that lasted only a year (e.g., will parts availability become an issue?). Granted, MG could do the same thing with the III and replace it within a year or two, but that seems unlikely.

Should I get over it and take the II, or pay more for the III?

3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

No... where?

BenRCMC likes this.
  4. trialsn

The V7ii and V7iii both have ABS.

5. GT-Rx®

The V7 II is largely the same as all of the previous years (back to '13) outside of ABS/TC and the new 6-spd gear box, though '16 supposedly brought new engine revisions with the rotated in frame engine. I don't expect to see any parts availability issues for quite some time. Most of the wear/tear items are the same as the oldest of small blocks.
    There is a little bit of a risk (as always) in buying a first year run of a new model as well... so there's that.
    I'd say go for what your bank account and heart tell you.

I hope to have my new V7 III Stone for the RentAGuzzi Fleet any day now to give a comparo here.

6. trialsn

From the Moto Guzzi website.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BenRCMC likes this.
  7. GT-Rx®

Thanks, I hadn't. Can't wait to see the price on those... which includes the hanger bracket itself as well. It is different than the stock one shown.

[​IMG]

BenRCMC likes this.
  8. simplyzach

simplyzach Just got it firing!

Did not realize that. I think that means I'm getting a II. And the modding starts over...

9. mechanicsavant

mechanicsavant Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I was actually holding out for a Mk iii ,however the local dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse ! So I was able to keep my current ride & have a new v7mkii !! Oh also the mkiii has oil jets in the con. Rods that cool & lube wrist pins/pistons &other euro4 stuff.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  10. GT-Rx®

Took delivery of the Mk III late yesterday. Just got a short spin on it, but some quick notes:
    Refinement, refinement, refinement. And it's really showing. Engine power (with 3 miles on it) is much improved over even the Mk II. In addition to the notes on the post above, the fueling is start and ride away; Light years better than any previously. Lively motor power wise... a touch less "grunt" than the 850cc V9, but still signs off fairly early like the Heron head I & II.
    The new shorter (repositioned) KYB rear shocks are also markedly improved, not great, but better. Forks are the same horrible Kaifa units.
    What is evident is the platform sharing hardware. Same (oddly larger) triple trees (hence longer wheelbase and motor to tire gap), as well as footgear from the V9. Frustratingly enough they kept the old frame/narrow swingarm & wheels. Why not go to modern sizes and width finally?
    The new seat is lower and better padded with a really nice thick seat material. The lower seat makes the tank feel larger. It's the same size of course. I'll be posting some more notes after I get some miles on it. Then off to the dyno and digging into the exhaust and related.
    It will of course be plugged into the RentAGuzzi Fleet shortly as well.
    Anyone want our V7 II Stone? It is now up for sale, and is running the best it ever has. Contact me for details or it's now in the Classifieds here on the Forum.

V7 II Specs:
    Wet weight: 458 pounds
    Seat height: 30.7 inches
    Wheelbase: 57.0 inches
    Rake: 27.5 degrees
    Trail: 4.6 inches

V7 III Specs:
    Claimed wet weight: 461 lbs (470 lbs Special and Anniversario)
    Seat height: 30.3 inches
    Wheelbase: 57.6 inches
    Rake: 26.4 degrees
    Trail: 4.2 inches

IMG_0568.JPG

lucydad and joejacobi like this.
  11. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

44 pounds heavier!!!
    How! they took off the tach and added double wall exhaust pipes.
    Are the new heads heavier?

12. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

One of the appealing factors in going from my old v11 sport to the v7 was the weight savings.........about 100 pounds total. Granted the III is still 50 or so pounds lighter than my old sport but far less desirable at that weight for me.

T_Guzzi likes this.
  13. mechanicsavant

mechanicsavant Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

When I initially heard if the v7iii I was thinking of trading my R1200r for one. The deal offered on a v7ii stone was so good it allows me to keep the beemer & get a lighter back road tool ! I have viewed a iii model @ the dealer & think I done OK. Kinda the best of both worlds .Being of a certain age the v7iii cushy for pegs are high on my up grade list . my only gripes about the Guzzi are forks & seat ,but I'll give them 20k mi. & to loosen up & break in . l know BMW seats ore a brick initially then get better ,two after market big$ seats were great @first after 30k mi. Turned to guanno !

14. lucydad

lucydad Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Very interested in Todd's comments on the new V7 III. Much thanks! Will be looking to test one here in Houston, still none in stock at our dealer. Hoping to see the entire line up in Austin this weekend at COTA. Higher weight is a "feh", but still looking for ABS, 6 speed gear box and bit more punch and more upright geometry than my 2012 V7R (which by the way just keeps on running like a Swiss watch at 17K miles). Love the blue Special, but might get very enamored with Anniversario depending on first hand look. Wonder if I would even get $1000 trading my V7R? V9 still leaves me in sort of, not quite, mixed feeling mode.

15. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

Actually I think that's an error. The 1TB V7 (Mki?) was around 450# wet and not near 417# (unless that's dry) so I'm guessing the Mkii spec given above is DRY weight.

EDIT-Yeah looking at Google a lot of reviews just parrot whatever the factory listed for weight and I think they got it wrong based on my recollection of the measured weight of the Mki and this motorcycle.com article that claims the Mkii MEASURED wet weight was 454# with specifically 35# of fuel:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/moto-guzzi/2016-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-stone-review.html

So it looks like 454# vs 461# or the extra steel on the MKiii makes it only 7# heavier.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Kofiko likes this.
  16. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Yes, the numbers are all over the place. I just looked at the Owners Manual, PDF version, for the V7II:
    Kerb (sic) weight 436 pounds.

17. GT-Rx®

Kev, is correct on MO #'s, which I trust. I will put my V7 III on Cycle World's scale next time by. I've revised my wet #'s on the V7 II above.

18. GT-Rx®

Put some break-in miles this afternoon... a few more notes;

Ups:​
    • The motor really has a nice mid/upper pull, unlike the Heron head motor
    • Transmission is even better than the V7II box. Short throw, and super positive snick in engagement. Not one false neutral.
    Downs:​
    • The longer wheelbase/rake makes for an odd turn in compared to the V7 I & II. Trade off is more stability. Look forward to fitting longer shocks...
    • Suspension and brakes still the weak links.
    • Fueling is better as stated above, but low speed on/off abruptness still evident. Will be dyno'ing and working on exhaust and fueling this week.
    IMG_0686.JPG

Stradagene likes this.
  19. Kofiko

Kofiko Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Thanks for the update Todd!
    I was holding my breath once you wrote that the stock mapping was good, but then I saw the follow-up, and I know that there's not going to be a choice but to get the updated mapping from you once you perfect it. Still biting my nails waiting for my V7III Special to arrive. Typical Guzzi handling - no VIN available and no bike tracking even after a DP, but we know it's is a part of the Guzzi charm...
    Looking forward to more updates from you on this bike and your mods!!! please put me down for mapping and pipes as a start :)

GT-Rx® likes this.
  20. InertiaDriven

InertiaDriven Just got it firing!