RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

V7ii Stone 2015 ,G'box oil out of breather.

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Andy McFarlane, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Andy McFarlane

Andy McFarlane Just got it firing!

hello everyone , I have a problem with gearbox oil coming out of G'box breather, is this a known phenomenon , not happening all the time just occaisionaly, ( 3 times ) any help would be appreciated
    can't really describe what riding conditions it happens at , tho '
    seems to be when using higher revs for short bursts, ????

2. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

The 2015 takes 1 Liter and the 2017 1/2 L. Not sure on the 16 but if it doesn't have a oil level plug on the side I bet it's the 1/2. Too much and it's coming out!

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

If it is not over filled, you could let out 50cc and see how that works. I used to put a barb fitting on the SB from the 80's and run a vent hose up to frame rails.

4. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

I have the same bike, and can tell you it is sensitive to oil qty. I added 1/2 litre after 1st servicing, and it puked after running for several hours at 70+mph. So i drained it and put 450 ml in. Hasn't puked yet (1 year). But i haven't run it as hard as on the prior trip. So far so good.

5. Andy McFarlane

Thanks for this Will drain and refill as you suggest , Strangely here in England we are experiencing a prolonged period of high tempretures ( 30* + some days ) so wondered if this could be a factor !!!!

6. Mick Simmons

Mick Simmons Just got it firing!

I have to take my 2016 V7 to the dealers in November as Guzzi Technical department suspect that there is a problem with the clutch housing breather into the gearbox blowing oil out of the gearbox breather. They are going to strip the gearbox down to find out. Glad I'm not paying for it (unresolved warranty issue) Will let you know what they find.

7. sib

sib Cruisin' Guzzisti

On my '16 V7II, if you don't remove the filler cap when you drain the oil, it doesn't drain completely. Then, when you add 1/2 liter, it will be too full. Solution: remove both the filler and drain caps and let it drain fully before refilling it.

8. Andy McFarlane

Hi Mick, Yes please let me now outcome ,very interested, Thanks

9. Mick Simmons

Bike not booked in until 15th Nov but I will post results adap

10. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Good God man it's a couple of bucks to drain it and refill it right. I wouldn't let anybody touch my bike before trying this first. search for the other threads here with the same problem solved. these guys sound tool happy!

11. Mick Simmons

I had already tried the oil quantity idea. As this is a warranty issue Mandelo del Lario have authorised (and are paying for) this. If the bike was not under warranty I would try to solve it myself.

12. Mick Simmons

As promised, an update on gearbox leak from breather. Problem was gearbox breather system, gearbox seal on the driveshaft was sitting in too far causing pressure build up in the gearbox. Motoguzzi supplied new seal. No more problems. Reducing oil level can mask the problems by providing more space for pressure build up but doesn't fix the problem. My mechanic is first class but if you don't trust yours then you can choose to mask the issue. Good luck. Happy Guzzi.

13. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Where was the pressure coming from in the first place? There is no source of pressure in the gearbox.

14. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

If the vent isn't working properly heat generated from moving parts can cause a pressure build up.

15. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

The amount of pressure from that would be fairly minor, but if the vent isn't working properly how would the oil be expelled out the vent?
    I am just questioning the logic that excess oil being expelled was from a problem with the breather system and the seal(s).
    I hope they managed to fix the problem, but if they did I suspect it was by luck.

16. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

On the old Eldorado loop frame, the gearbox vented through the shift drum detent spring. If heavy oil clogged the spring, the gearbox would pump oil out. Switching to synthetic solved the issue. Later bikes have a long tube routed high in the frame for oil expansion.

17. Mick Simmons

I will have a conversation with the engineer and try to expand on the issue.