RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, We've completed the split of this website from our custom bike builds and products to our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. GuzziTech.com is now a secure site (https), and may require you to sign in again using your same password. We are back to our origins here with the Forum and Resources only. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine 2000-2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles Performance and Service workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work with our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

V7iii Spark plug options

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Dinsdale Piranha, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

G'day from WA,

Does anyone here know of a platinum/yttrium/iridium spark plug alternative for the V7iii engine? Standard NGK plugs in my bike barely make 10,000Km. They're really quite eroded by then. Hoping there'll be something out there, unavailable over the counter in Oz.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Do you have a V7II or V7III, thread header says one thing, thread body says the other.

Same plug anyways, I think.
    I found same plug in the Iridium but the screw on post on top, that means if you put those type of caps on it, you'll find the plugs in the correct heat range in Iridium.
    Do a little reading here and you'll find it all.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. Trout

Trout GT Reference

If I was burning a set of plugs in just over 6000 miles (10,000 km) I would be concerned.
    Is it the metal part that is going bad or the insulator?

How about a decent pic of the bad plug?

4. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

Based on his past posts he has a V7 III Special.

5. V700Steve

NGK CPR8EB-9 you won't find but CPR8EAIX are the Iridium. Just need a cap w/wire in it or some posts that screw on the top. Just trying to help him out. Maybe plugs weren't gaped right, I never trust pre-gaped stuff.

john zibell likes this.
  6. Dinsdale Piranha

Sorry for the confusion. It's a V7iii.

My plugs aren't burnt, but they are eroded, as plugs are wont to do, Corners of electrodes are all rounded off and gaps opened a thou or 2. Wider gaps are less of a problem than rounded electrodes. The sharper the edges on the electrodes the stronger the spark. The plug colour is perfect, but after a recent 11,000Km ride, with plenty of getting right amongst it in lotsa tight, twisty mountain roads, the performance drop-off by the end was noticeable. Plugs are a replacement item every 10,000Km anyway, but iridium (et al) plugs perform better from new and maintain their superior performance for up to 100,000Km. That also translates into far less money spent on plugs.

Are the NGK CPR8EAIX the same heat range as the std NGK CPR8EB-9?

7. V700Steve

Same heat range indicated by the 8

8. Dinsdale Piranha

9. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

10. Dinsdale Piranha

It works OK for me - days later. However, you can copy/paste the link into your address bar.

11. V700Steve

That's one of the sites I got my info from. If you have some screw on posts for the top of the plug you can use stock caps on the wires. The plugs may even come w/them screwed on the top, I save that stuff when I throw away plugs.