RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.
  2. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

V85 TT Info

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Oadslug

Oadslug Tuned and Synch'ed

Looks like the Carbon Shine might be one of them. I like! Much better than the Carbon imho. From the handbuilt show in Austin last week. Nice black leather seat! Very cool.

[​IMG]

Attackpug and Trout like this.
  2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

My good friend Claudio (Longwalk.it - facebook.com/GiovenzanaClaudio) is in town from south south America, having left his bike in Patagonia for now as the weather has gotten too cold.
    He translated a printed article today on the V85 from Motociclismo.
    Big question that it answered (and I had guessed) was that they have basically lightened the reciprocating internals (rods & pistons) and went to larger titanium valves (2V per cylinder still), along with a new larger 52mm single throttle body (V7/V9 is 38mm) giving 78 HP @8400RPM and max torque (59 ft lbs) @3400 RPM (and holds steady they say.) The oiling circuit has been revised with a new twin rotor push/pull oil pump to help with scavenging from the crank. The motor will remain air-cooled through Euro-5.
    I look forward to adding one to the RideMalibu/RentAGuzzi fleet.

V85Motor1.JPG

V85Motor2.JPG

V85Motor3.JPG

3. gimpo

gimpo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Euro 5?
    This would be a great results, since for now motorcycle should be "only" Euro 4 compliant. Euro 5 constrains are an headache for every engineer.

BTW, an italian magazine has published some secret photos of the new engine. I will try to scan them and post here when I will have a copy of the magazine in my hands.

GT-Rx® and Trout like this.
  4. GT-Rx®

Yes, I have uploaded the article above. If your photos are different from above, I would love to see them.

Poppe likes this.
  5. gimpo

gimpo Cruisin' Guzzisti

Uh!
    Last time I did see the photos. Yes, it that article.
    I still haven't read it, a huge thanks!

Poppe likes this.
  6. gimpo

gimpo Cruisin' Guzzisti

First time I was a little bit confused, but now I have to admit that this "Legnano green" color it's quite nice.

I have to declare here my appreciations for Guzzi: stop with colors for old men! This new ones are trendy and very original. No one other manufacturer would dare to propose that. New fresh air in the motorcycle world.

nduQi8J.jpg

Did you notice the radial brakes at the front (whereas the costly BMW F850GS mount traditional ones)? This bike is really going to stop in a matter of few meters!

7. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Wow that color looks nice. This is going to be a hard one if they come out with some sweet colors.

8. egschade

egschade Tuned and Synch'ed

Love the idea of a "smaller" Stelvio and would certainly consider owning a V85. Only problem is that I prefer more subdued / traditional colors and at the risk of offending some, find the V85 color schemes a visual affront. Hopefully a black or silver framed model with a more primary color(s) will be made available when Guzzi finally gets around to actually shipping these to the US.

Also remember that Guzzi has always been a bit, um, optimistic when quoting HP numbers. I will be pleasantly surprised if this bike makes over 60 HP at the rear wheel as a stock V9 makes all of 50.

Poppe likes this.
  9. Godfrey

Godfrey High Miler GT Famiglia

It's not my kind of bike, but I'm delighted to hear of the engine development work.

Sounds like solid, traditional performance development to me ... the kind of stuff that engine tuners have been developing on traditional two-valve engines for a century! It is certainly a joy to see the small-block Guzzi engines moving in this direction. The small-block history was all about minimizing cost to provide a low end machine, but the hemi heads on the V9/V7III and all the new bottom end work show that there's a good bit more future in this engine line.

Put this engine into a more LeMans-ish road bike (like that illustration somewhere up thread) with these brakes and modern suspension, and Guzzi may well get another big lump of my money...! :D

10. gimpo

gimpo Cruisin' Guzzisti

I don't know about other Guzzis but my Stelvio has 105HP at the main shaft as declared and as tested from many Motorcycle magazines.
    For the power at the wheel (more easy to test at a common engine-bench) you have to calculate around 10% less for chain-driven final trasmission and around 12-14% less for cardan-trasmission.

11. SaulGuzzi

SaulGuzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

12. GT-Rx®

Piaggio Patents Design for Moto Guzzi V85 Production Model

If you’re one of those who liked the concept, you’ll be happy to learn that Piaggio has filed a design patent for what looks to be the final production model, and it does not stray too far from the original concept.

MG-V85.png
    MG-V85-1.png

Lodged May 1 in Australia, the design patent looks a lot like the concept but has some changes including a different exhaust and front brake master cylinder that look more realistic for a mass-produced vehicle.

Here’s a look at the right side of the concept and the patent filing.

MG-V85-5.png

And here’s a look at the left side:

MG-V85-6.png

While keeping the concept’s general aesthetic, there are some drastic changes. The fuel tank has a different shape and looks smaller than the one on the concept. The rear of the tank has a noticeably gentler slope up to the filler cap. The seat was changed accordingly to match the new slope angle, and looks quite a bit thinner than the saddle used on the concept. The side panel below the seat also has a different design, losing the concept’s slits for a more sculpted, geometric design.

The rear shock remains offset to the right side, connecting the swingarm to the frame, but there is now a cover over top mounting point. The rear brake caliper was also repositioned, now located under the swingarm instead of above.

The exhaust design looks more production ready, but still keeping the rising angle on the left side of the tail. The concept had a cylindrical see-through master cylinder while the patent illustrations shows a more typical black rectangular design.

MG-V85-2.png MG-V85-3.png

The blocky tires, bash plate, hand guards, front fender, tall windscreen and headlights all look similar to the concept. The design patent does add a center stand.

Piaggio hasn’t filed any new trademarks that suggest a potential name for this new adventure-tourer, so it’s possible it will retain the Stelvio name and be called the Moto Guzzi V85 Stelvio. Expect to see the final production version at this fall’s big motorcycle shows, more likely at EICMA in November than the Intermot show in October. The latest information will be on Motorcycle.com as it becomes available.

MG-V85-4.png
    MG-V85-8.png
    MG-V85-9.png
    MG-V85-9b.png

Poppe likes this.
  13. Poppe

Poppe Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for the great write-up. Good catches on all of them.

What is the benefit (or requirement?) of having a cover over the top mounting point of the rear shock?

Also, maybe it was covered, but is this a completely new frame?

14. GT-Rx®

Keeps goop off the shock I suppose.
    Yes, all new frame.

Poppe likes this.
  15. tobinh

tobinh Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

looks great. my name entry was 'scirocco', guess that's not going to make it.

Poppe likes this.
  16. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Thanks Todd for the write up +1!

I can see they made the tank more streamline looking but that sacrificed some tank size...I really curious what size they will come out with...but at least it isn't looking as small as the V9's

The front windshield looks taller to me and more upward compare to the concept...we will see how that affects the buffering.

Was slight "disappointed" they moved the caliper to the bottom...I mean wouldn't you want to keep goop/rocks off them and gain more clearance? I am sure they got reasons behind why...

That side stand...oh wow LOL...it sticks the WAY HELLA out there!...Maybe I missed it during concept stage but in the patent stage, it is for sure more pronounced!!!!!!! I guess they don't want you to lean too much on this guy :p

I also see the seat is slightly flatter...maybe to achieve a lower seat height?...

Poppe likes this.
  17. Trout

Trout GT Reference

I'm hoping for a 200 mile plus fuel capacity.

18. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Well, by comparing to its competitors that comes in mind: Tiger 800, F800GS...It better have at least that much mileage or it will get beat down...

19. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

My entry was Stelvio.... Hmmm, now what??

Paul

20. Faisal

Faisal Tuned and Synch'ed

Ya, I'm buying one the moment it arrives.

Adam Davis, Poppe and Stevie like this.