• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT rear brake bleeding

Circus

Just got it firing!
Hoping that there is a wizard out there that can give me some hints on my V85TT rear brake. It has never been impressive from new. Long throw and soft. I have attempted to vacuum bleed it, pushed fluid through from the caliper and bled it conventionally (pump and hold). All to no avail. Sometime today or tomorrow I will receive the brake line I ordered to go directly from the master cylinder to the caliper. Hate to abandon the abs but really miss the rear brake off road where the abs would be off anyway. Probably wouldn’t miss the rear brake in 10,000 more miles of pavement anyway. The front is and has been from new, really great. Any and all thoughts or experience appreciated. Love them Guzzis. Thanks

Remove the caliper and get it higher than the abs unit. Then conventional bleed. Trick, put a box wrench on the rear brake pedal, let it hang down, then you can reach it to pull down and pump from the lower left so you don't need help.

Have heard this raise the caliper before over the years and have not tried it but will one way or another. Here’s hoping the rigid line allows this trick. Thanks

Mike? Has to be you.
Tom Halchuck said someone was riding your bike that needed a caliper and rotor. Take it you found them? I had them in stock.
ABS is a little tricky, and the trick Vagrant says generally will work. From there, you'll need the software to activate the pump to fully bleed it properly. Hope that helps, and hope we can finally reconnect. Been trying for a very long time to do so.

It is me Todd. Good setup here. Nice work. We were on the road and Dave Ow got Halchuk involved in our issue. I really wouldn’t have missed the rear but Dave was riding it. Got a caliper and rotor from Mark Etheridge overnite. Light work changing them out. I had been trying since day one to get thar rear brake up to speed with really no luck. Today, and it’s all cheap talk til we get to the bar, the first round’s on me Mr Vagrant! I followed your advice (which advice I had repeatedly disregarded) and elevated the caliper. 10 minutes of conventional bleeding to the best rear pedal since new. Probably wasted two quarts of fluid and 3-4 hours not raising that caliper. There’s another suggestion that if there is to be further improvement with regard to the abs pump it may be realized riding carefully off of the pavement with the abs on and attempting to skid the wheel forcing the abs to cycle several times. I ‘ll let you all know tomorrow. Thanks again Vagrant!

Great and critical advice John. I used a flat file about the same thickness as the rotor. The file’s handle made it pretty easy. Thanks

It is me Todd. Good setup here. Nice work.
Well damn! I’ve only been trying to reconnect with you for well over a decade and a half! Thanks much. Hard work and much expense with many trying to take me down/out.
I’ve been doing the caliper above the pump since 2007, and recommending it here about that long… but do buy Vagrant a drink.
Glad to hear you got it going.

I’m getting the V85TTs to ~80+ rwhp, you might find it entertaining;

Love to get your info for the Registry linked below. Hope to see you here on occasion. If you land in L.A., I still have all the same contact info. Cheers.

Had a similar problem with my 2021 V7-850 E5. I bought a banjo bolt with a brake bleeder from GTM. After my brake bleeding was completed, and it was as good as I could get, I removed one of the banjo bolts from the abs unit, and replaced it with the new one with bleeder. I then placed a hose on the new bleeder, and bled the air out of the top of the abs unit by operating the foot brake. Worked great. Before removing the abs fitting, I placed a shim under the brake lever stop bolt. This partially pressed the brake lever, blocking the return hole in the caliper. That prevents fluid from draining out through the master cylinder!

Last edited:
Back